Friends, family & colleagues of Steve Jobs spoke at 'moving' memorial

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A memorial held on Sunday for late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs was described as "incredibly moving," with speeches made by his friends and family, and performances from world-renowned artists.

Among those who spoke at the event, according to The Wall Street Journal, were his widow Laurene Powell Jobs, sister Mona Simpson, and three of his children. Apple Senior Vice President of Industrial Design Jonathan Ive and Oracle CEO Larry Ellison also spoke.

Citing two anonymous people who attended the event, the memorial also featured performances from cellist Yo Yo Ma, singer Joan Baez, and U2 lead singer Bono, who read lyrics from an iPad.

The mood wasn't entirely solemn, as one person reportedly said that many of the speakers cracked jokes about Jobs. A longer list of attendees, which included former U.S. President Bill Clinton, actor Tim Allen and Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates, was revealed earlier Monday.

Sunday's invite-only event was held at Stanford Memorial Church, and hundreds were said to have attended. Apple has planned another memorial for Jobs intended for employees at the company's Cupertino, Calif., campus for this Wednesday.

A smaller service for immediate family and friends of Jobs was held earlier this month, two days after he passed away on Oct. 5 after a long bout with cancer. Jobs was 56.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 80
    I would have assumed Jobs would have had a Buddhist ceremony, but I'm not 100% sure if he even was one. He certainly did not sound like a "Christian"... he sounded more like an atheist.
  • Reply 2 of 80
    @SpamSandwich From what I heard he was Buddhist, but like you I can't confirm it either. In any case. I am not sure if I appreciate you suggesting him an atheist. Not being an Christian != Atheist. Based on this what you seem to say that Buddhist, Yiddish, Hindu, Muslim, etc. are atheist!
  • Reply 3 of 80
    Steve described himself as a Buddhist, but didn't follow all the doctrine and dogmatic B.S.

Steve was so hands-on, he probably drew up the plans for his memorial service, decided how he wanted to be buried, etc. Heck, he probably personally selected the people on the guest list, picked who he wanted to speak, who would cater the reception, and almost everything about each of the events.

My guess is that he left instructions for dozens, possibly hundreds of other topics. His kids' education. His wife's future, including the possibility that she might remarry someday. What to do with the Jackling Estate property (there's probably a complete set of blueprints). How he would like to be remembered in future events (both Apple related and private things like family weddings). Charitable contributions, perhaps done anonymously which would continue Steve and Laurene's intense preference to privacy.
  • Reply 4 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by radster360 View Post

@SpamSandwich From what I heard he was Buddhist, but like you I can't confirm it either. In any case. I am not sure if I appreciate you suggesting him an atheist. Not being an Christian != Atheist. Based on this what you seem to say that Buddhist, Yiddish, Hindu, Muslim, etc. are atheist!

Believe me, I have nothing against atheists.

One clear indicator was Apple's tongue-in-cheek price for their first Apple computer... $666.66. Although, Woz denies any "biblical" reference.

http://myoldmac.net/FAQ/Apple1-priced$666.66-Why-WozAnswers.htm
  • Reply 5 of 80
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    I don't have anything to base this on either, but I always got the impression that while Steve may have dabbled in Buddhism when he was younger, that religion of any kind was not something that he was very concerned with.

That's still a very different thing from being atheist. Atheism is a religion, it's staking a position of faith in "not", rather than just not thinking about it one way or the other.

I'm very excited to get the biography when it comes out to see how much of that kind of personal stuff is revealed.
  • Reply 6 of 80
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    I have been following Steve Jobs since 1978 and feel so sad. What a huge loss to the world. Each day since October 5th feels like a bad dream that never ends. I still can hardly believe he's gone.
  • Reply 7 of 80
    [Q

Steve Jobs you have gone. You left behind some very big holes.
  • Reply 8 of 80
    Quote:

Buddhists are atheists (well, at least non-theists)...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_in_Buddhism
  • Reply 9 of 80
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Steve was so hands-on, he probably drew up the plans for his memorial service, decided how he wanted to be buried, etc. Heck, he probably personally selected the people on the guest list, picked who he wanted to speak, who would cater the reception, and almost everything about each of the events.

Probably!
  • Reply 10 of 80
    I highly doubt Steve Jobs was a Christian... and that's what makes me sad and not his death. I will miss him, both flaws and strengths.
  • Reply 11 of 80
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    That photograph, the profile, just kills me every time I see it. Thanks to whoever took it.

Joan sang a song. I think I would have been disgracefully moved.

Apple will still be the underdog until everyone, or nearly everyone, realizes the immensity of his accomplishments.
  • Reply 12 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExceptionHandler View Post

I highly doubt Steve Jobs was a Christian... and that's what makes me sad and not his death. I will miss him, both flaws and strengths.

Well, he was surely raised as a Protestant Christian by his foster parents, but probably chose the path of Zen Budo et al at a later stage for self-enlightenment purposes.

This is probably the reason why the memorial service was held (thankfully) at a Christian site, since Laurene and the kids must somehow follow that faith.
  • Reply 13 of 80
    Stanford Memorial Church is strictly non-denominational. It is not a Christian site. It was built to support the spiritual needs of the university, which is a completely secular educational institution. The church iconography is Christian, but they are really decorative aspects and were not installed to promote a specific dogmatic viewpoint.

Note that Steve is buried at Alta Mesa Memorial Park, a non-denominational cemetery.
  • Reply 14 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Stanford Memorial Church is strictly non-denominational. It is not a Christian site. It was built to support the spiritual needs of the university, which is completely secular.

Note that Steve is buried at Alta Mesa Memorial Park, a non-denominational cemetery.

WRONG. The Stanfords were deeply Christian and at the same time tolerant of other related faiths.

From its site: "Today, regular multi-faith services are held in the church, in addition to denominational and nondenominational Christian services."

In summary, it is a inter/non-denominational church open to all but basically holding Christian services plus a number of Jewish services.

"Secular" means something that has no religious or spiritual basis - the SMC is the absolute opposite of that, with its main emphasis on Catholic and Protestant masses + Jewish services - just check their schedule.

If SJ's really wanted something secular, they would have done a memorial service at Apple's headquarters or the like, not a place of worship. The main photo of the church tells it all.
  • Reply 15 of 80
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

Well, he was surely raised as a Protestant Christian by his foster parents, but probably chose the path of Zen Budo et al at a later stage for self-enlightenment purposes.

This is probably the reason why the memorial service was held (thankfully) at a Christian site, since Laurene and the kids must somehow follow that faith.

Not only for self-enlightenment, since the awakening behind Buddhism compels a compassionate wish to assist others toward enlightenment. Consistent with the Jobsian program of changing the world.

The church is nondenominational, which could probably be updated to "ecumenical" or "unitarian" these days. No faiths excluded. (I think Buddhists have a faith, in enlightenment and the alleviation of suffering, but that's just my interpretation.)

Edit: I see your new post above anticipates mine.
  • Reply 16 of 80
    The reason for the `Church' centers around availability of space to hold a service. People read far too much into it.
  • Reply 17 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Believe me, I have nothing against atheists.

One clear indicator was Apple's tongue-in-cheek price for their first Apple computer... $666.66. Although, Woz denies any "biblical" reference.

http://myoldmac.net/FAQ/Apple1-priced$666.66-Why-WozAnswers.htm

What I read was that Woz liked repeating numbers.

If the story fluctuates over time, I wouldn't be surprised if there was truly another hidden meaning.
  • Reply 18 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

Could be he was agnostic....
  • Reply 19 of 80
    Quote:

I think you are reading a lot in there.

Also, it's much easier to read into your comments the fact that you seem to think there is something "wrong" with being an atheist.

Methinks thou dost protest too much.

There's nothing wrong with atheism. It's not a disease, it's the triumph of reason over superstition. I would maintain that there is more to admire about atheists than non-atheists.
  • Reply 20 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

Non-theist is the most accurate description.

Atheism is based on reason and logic.

Buddhism (no offence to Buddhists), still has a lot of mysticism/ritual in it and in many places the Buddha himself is revered as a god.

Karma for instance is an irrational, magical concept.