iOS 5: "Music" app still sucks

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Still can't sort music by rating, date added, play count, etc. Why can't Music app be an exact copy of iTunes for Mac? This is sooo annoying. You can even do this with Android apps to sort by iTunes rating.

Am I just missing something?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    linkgx1linkgx1 Posts: 742member
    Wow, I'm kind of scared. I'm coming from a Galaxy S with their music app (Which is quite excellent BTW).
  • Reply 2 of 24
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

Wow, I'm kind of scared. I'm coming from a Galaxy S with their music app (Which is quite excellent BTW).

I forgot to mention there is no Equalizer. I'm very surprised this stuff isn't here. I thought iPod and iPhone were supposed to be like iTunes but in your pocket. In fact the only iPod I ever had, the first one in like 2001 (!!!) had this.

Android has a system-wide equalizer. I wish it was a bit better than just a few presents (10-band) but at least it lets you bump up bass. That's key considering how crappy Apple's earbuds are. (I don't have the newer in-ear just the regular).
  • Reply 3 of 24
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    The Music app has an icon under Settings. You go in there and you can turn on the EQ and apply one of the presets.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

The Music app has an icon under Settings. You go in there and you can turn on the EQ and apply one of the presets.

Yeah, but he's right. The music app does suck. Especially on the iPad. Lost actual useful features compared to the previous iPod app, like lyrics and consistent button active state indication.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    The iPhone already was not a very good iPod, but in iOS 5, it's much worse. Your video library is found in the iTunes app, but your audio is not? Then podcasts are separated into separate audio and video libraries, each in a different app? I subscribe to some podcasts that issue both audio and video episodes in the same feed, but they'll never show up together under this system. Why is the app renamed "music", but it's got podcasts and audiobooks in it? It's confusing to find my stuff, and it's very poorly thought out.

Just another reason why I still keep my iPod Classic
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Your video library is found in the iTunes app, but your audio is not?

None of your media has ever been available in the iTunes app.

Quote:

I subscribe to some podcasts that issue both audio and video episodes in the same feed, but they'll never show up together under this system.

Do you know that? Have you tested it out?
  • Reply 7 of 24
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Thanks trumptman. I'd forgotten about that. However, I hope it is not like the presets on the Mac iTunes, where it overamplifies (it turns UP certain bands without lowering equally the overall amplification, resulting in grainy sound.) I'll test this with headphones later. Also a 10 band equalizer would be nice.

However, I had forgotten that is where app "settings" are. iOS is hard to use and inconsistent. I keep forgetting this, sorry. On Android you ALWAYS get to an app's settings by pressing the dedicated Settings button at the bottom of the phone which is an actual button. Some apps on iOS have a Settings button somewhere on the screen somewhere (like Angry Birds) and some use the "Settings" app. So I am still getting used to iOS.

Doesn't everyone think it would be cool to just have iTunes on the iPhone/iPad? At least for iOS 5. I imagine the hardware could easily handle it. Hey, even the Visualizer. That'd be cool!
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

None of your media has ever been available in the iTunes app.

Not until now. That's where videos (including video podcasts) are located; inside the iTunes app. Open it up and click the "library" button on the top right. They used to be in the iPod app, which made more sense.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Do you know that? Have you tested it out?

Yes, that's how it works. That's the reason I made the comment: my podcast libraries are now divided between my Music and iTunes apps whereas last week they were always together.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    Quote:

Not until now. That's where videos (including video podcasts) are located; inside the iTunes app. Open it up and click the "library" button on the top right. They used to be in the iPod app, which made more sense.

No, I'm outright saying you're wrong about that. iTunes is the iTunes store. Never have any of your synced files shown up in that app.

It was 'iPod' before; now it's 'Music' and 'Videos'.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Quote:

... That's where videos (including video podcasts) are located; inside the iTunes app...

Um... no.

On my iOS5 devices, videos are in the "Videos" app.

The "iTunes" app is simply for browsing what's available on iTunes store.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    There is a separate "Videos" app on my iPad and iPod Touches, but not on my iPhone 4.

iPhone Videos in iOS4 were found in the iPod app, now they are in the iTunes app. It's a button on the top right when you open iTunes, called "Library". Click that, and you are in your videos.

Even if I use the search function to look for "Videos", all that does is open the iTunes app.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    My iTunes app doesnt have that top line with the Movies/Library buttons.

Perhaps thats a function of iTunes in iCloud? (I dont use that part of iCloud, so perhaps thats why it doesnt show up here)

In any case, if the video is actually stored on your device, it will be in the "Videos" app.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

My iTunes app doesnt have that top line with the Movies/Library buttons.

Perhaps thats a function of iTunes in iCloud? (I dont use that part of iCloud, so perhaps thats why it doesnt show up here)

In any case, if the video is actually stored on your device, it will be in the "Videos" app.

Not sure about iCloud, it's a good idea though, I'll check into it.

But the part you keep missing is there is no stand alone "Videos" app on my iPhone. My videos exist in iTunes, and only in iTunes.

And neither of those things excuse the fact that my podcasts are now spread into two separate apps.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    LOVE the new iPad Music app.

My only wish is for an "Update All Podcasts" button. 5 iOS releases and I'm still begging for it.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Quote:

But the part you keep missing is there is no stand alone "Videos" app on my iPhone. My videos exist in iTunes, and only in iTunes.

I'm not missing that ... I understand what you're saying ... I just don't understand why you're installation of iOS5 (assuming that's what you're operating) is so different from everyone else's (including your own other devices. THAT's the part I don't understand. (I'm not doubting you, I just can't get my mind around why it would be that way. )
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Quote:

I'm not missing that ... I understand what you're saying ... I just don't understand why you're installation of iOS5 (assuming that's what you're operating) is so different from everyone else's (including your own other devices. THAT's the part I don't understand. (I'm not doubting you, I just can't get my mind around why it would be that way. )

That it's different from other iOS devices is normal. They've always had the Videos app that none of my iPhones ever have.

And yes, just to confirm, I'm running the stock Apple installation of iOS 5, downloaded via iTunes. It's running on a stock white iPhone 4 that I got from the Apple Store in August. It has not been jailbroken or hacked in any way.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Quote:

That it's different from other iOS devices is normal. They've always had the Videos app that none of my iPhones ever have.

And yes, just to confirm, I'm running the stock Apple installation of iOS 5, downloaded via iTunes. It's running on a stock white iPhone 4 that I got from the Apple Store in August. It has not been jailbroken or hacked in any way.

And I have here a 3GS, 4, and 4S and a couple iPads ... All sporting iOS5, and all sporting a "Videos" app. (The iTunes app being access to the store.) ... So I really couldn't say why yours is different from every installation of iOS5 I've seen... Only that it IS different.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

I can also confirm that my IP4 running iOS 5 has the videos app. Did you delete it by mistake?
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Quote:

And I have here a 3GS, 4, and 4S and a couple iPads ... All sporting iOS5, and all sporting a "Videos" app. (The iTunes app being access to the store.) ... So I really couldn't say why yours is different from every installation of iOS5 I've seen... Only that it IS different.

Did your iPhones have a Videos app BEFORE iOS 5?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

I can also confirm that my IP4 running iOS 5 has the videos app. Did you delete it by mistake?

You can't delete any of the 'core' Apple apps if you wanted to.

Can you access your videos from the iTunes app (see post #12)?
  • Reply 20 of 24
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

There is a separate "Videos" app on my iPad and iPod Touches, but not on my iPhone 4.

iPhone Videos in iOS4 were found in the iPod app, now they are in the iTunes app. It's a button on the top right when you open iTunes, called "Library". Click that, and you are in your videos.

Even if I use the search function to look for "Videos", all that does is open the iTunes app.

That image is appears when you click on the Store button from within the Videos app. Click on Library and you will be taken back to the Videos app.

Your videos are NOT in the iTunes app.

Try and double click the Home button when you're in iTunes. Videos should be in the list that appears.