ITC judge finds Apple did not violate four HTC patents

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A judge with the U.S. international Trade Commission ruled on Monday against HTC in a patent infringement lawsuit it filed against Apple.

The preliminary decision found that Apple was not in violation of four patents related to power management and phone dialing, according to Reuters. The full commission will decide to uphold or reject the judge's decision on February 17.

The complaint stems from May of 2010, when HTC filed its lawsuit with the ITC and asked for the commission to ban the importation of iPhone, iPad and iPod products into America. Judge Charles Bullock found that HTC's patents were valid, but Apple was not in violation.

Reacting to the news, analyst Mike Abramsky from RBC Capital Markets said Apple's victory is yet another positive for the company, as it has found continued legal success against Android device makers. In its most high profile victories, Apple has managed to bar the sale of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 in Germany and Australia.

Monday's decision represents just one of many ongoing lawsuits between Apple and HTC. Abramsky noted that a final ITC ruling is expected on Dec. 6 for another Apple lawsuit against HTC, in which the commission found that HTC violated two patents owned by Apple.

Even sooner, on Nov. 1, a final ruling is expected in another HTC suit against Apple, in which HTC has accused it rival of violating patents owned by S3 Graphics. The ITC ruled in July in a preliminary decision that Mac OS X is in violation of the S3 patents, but the iPhone and iPad are not.

However, subsequently the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office invalidated S3's patents, and chipmaker AMD is claiming ownership, casting even more confusion into the sprawling legal showdown between HTC and Apple.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I hope that everybody continues to sue the hell out of each other all over the globe.

Apple is emerging victorious from most of these rulings, while the competitors, such as Samsung, are finding their products banned!

I'm also awaiting some posts that begin like this:

I'm a big Apple fan, I own many of their products, but how can anybody patent a rectangle? Is Apple afraid of competition?

Apple is evil, and I'm never, ever going to buy any Apple product again.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    Sounds good to me... Onward to $500!
  • Reply 3 of 26
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    The nooses around their necks are slowly getting tighter...
  • Reply 4 of 26
    The courts are showing us what we already knew. Apple innovates, others copy.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    HTC paid $300 million for the now-invalidated S3 patents for protection against their theft of Apple's intellectual property. Sucks to be them!
  • Reply 6 of 26
    Quote:

Even sooner, on Nov. 1, a final ruling is expected in another HTC suit against Apple, in which HTC has accused it rival of violating patents owned by S3 Graphics. The ITC ruled in July in a preliminary decision that Mac OS X is in violation of the S3 patents, but the iPhone and iPad are not.

However, subsequently the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office invalidated S3's patents, and chipmaker AMD is claiming ownership, casting even more confusion into the sprawling legal showdown between HTC and Apple.

I was wondering when this shoe was going to fall.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

The nooses around their necks are slowly getting tighter...

That's funny, b/c they keep dodging bullets. Unless you're referring to the idea that eventually no one will cross license anything (other than required FRAND patents) to Apple and they will be stuck. Guess they'll just have to innovate their way past that like they've done since Jobs came back in the late 90s huh?
  • Reply 8 of 26
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

That's funny, b/c they keep dodging bullets. Unless you're referring to the idea that eventually no one will cross license anything (other than required FRAND patents) to Apple and they will be stuck. Guess they'll just have to innovate their way past that like they've done since Jobs came back in the late 90s huh?

Actually, I was implying that folks like Samsung and HTC can't keep this dance up much longer. Evenutally, they're going to trip and fall flat on their faces (imho of course).

I think they are just trying to buy time by filing hugely stupid lawsuits and the sort just to delay the inevitable and buy time to come out with their next product that doesn't step (as much) on Apple's IP.

Then, when that day comes... they can just tell the courts that products like the Galaxy 10.x is so 2011 that it doesn't matter anymore.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Quote:

I believe he was referring to the noose being around HTC's collective neck, not Apple's.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    jonoromjonorom Posts: 293member
    Quote:

Actually, I think Apple will be happy to cross-license lots of their technology with companies that also respect IP. To date these have included Microsoft and Nokia, and I am sure others that haven't made the news. This would not include IP that Different-iates Apple products through the user experience. That is the heart and soul of Apple's business strategy and brand.

However Google and their outlaw band of copyists will have a much more difficult time getting ANY cross-licenses from Apple. Yes, you are right, Apple with have to out-innovate these idiots. Shouldn't be too difficult.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Of all companies under Apple's crosshairs I'm shocked HTC and to an extent Motorola are being called copycats.

HTC has been doing great innovative things since before Apple got into the phone game with their finger friendly (at the time especially) Sense overlay of the atrocious Windows mobile.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

HTC has been doing great innovative things since before Apple got into the phone game

But not much since, I guess:

Abramsky noted that a final ITC ruling is expected on Dec. 6 for another Apple lawsuit against HTC, in which the commission found that HTC violated two patents owned by Apple.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    jonoromjonorom Posts: 293member
    Quote:

Of all companies under Apple's crosshairs I'm shocked HTC and to an extent Motorola are being called copycats.

HTC has been doing great innovative things since before Apple got into the phone game with their finger friendly (at the time especially) Sense overlay of the atrocious Windows mobile.

Well, its not only me and people on this site that have "called" them copycats. Its the judiciary of four nations to date, and counting. So your verb "call" is a little weak. How about the verb "convicted?"

You know I don't really blame Moto or HTC. They just drank the Google cool-aid. No breaks for Samsung however -- that is a different matter entirely.

Unfortunately, Moto and HTC could get badly hurt if Oracle and/or Apple win, which appears more and more likely. What happens on the day that Android can no longer be sold, or can't use capacitive multitouch? If I were an investor I wouldn't go anywhere near an Android phone maker right now.

These cases begin to be decided in early November (although the Oracle-Google case, scheduled for Oct 31, may be postponed because the judge is busy with another case). Time is short (to short the stock, that is!)
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Take a look at the Map app interface.

http://daringfireball.net/misc/2011/...-galaxy-50.png
  • Reply 15 of 26
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kriskkalu View Post

I'm waiting for some Samsung-ite to defend it in 1-2-3?
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kriskkalu View Post

Lol please tell me that's a bad graphic design job.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JONOROM View Post

Well, its not only me and people on this site that have "called" them copycats. Its the judiciary of four nations to date, and counting. So your verb "call" is a little weak. How about the verb "convicted?"

You know I don't really blame Moto or HTC. They just drank the Google cool-aid. No breaks for Samsung however -- that is a different matter entirely.

Unfortunately, Moto and HTC could get badly hurt if Oracle and/or Apple win, which appears more and more likely. What happens on the day that Android can no longer be sold, or can't use capacitive multitouch? If I were an investor I wouldn't go anywhere near an Android phone maker right now.

These cases begin to be decided in early November (although the Oracle-Google case, scheduled for Oct 31, may be postponed because the judge is busy with another case). Time is short (to short the stock, that is!)

But they weren't convicted of a damn thing o.O

Also infringement isn't copying. Unless you feel Apple copied coverflow.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

But they weren't convicted of a damn thing o.O

Also infringement isn't copying. Unless you feel Apple copied coverflow.

When Samsung buys Apple you can can claim that the situations are similar.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm not talking about Samsung. Fuck Samsung. I'm talking about HTC

Hell I'm shocked people aren't applauding HTC for their differentiation efforts. But no a competitor to Apple is bad period I see.

Besides: http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/intellec...97/?fullsite=1
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Save your breath. These folks don't do their homework.