Samsung accused of lifting iPhone screenshot for Galaxy Player promo

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Consumer electronics maker Samsung appears to have used a nearly three-year-old screen capture of the Maps application on the iPhone to promote its own Galaxy Player 50 portable media player.

John Gruber of Daring Fireball noted on Monday (via Jeremy Philippe) that Samsung appeared to be using a maps interface that was an "ever-so-slightly modified rip-off" of the Maps application on Apple's iPhone for a promotional image of the Galaxy Player 50 on its website. However, it was quickly revealed that the interface shown on the device is actually an exact copy of an iPhone screenshot from a blog post by Laura Scott on BlogHer in 2008.

AppleInsider originally posted Samsung's pilfered iOS graphic last month in an article on GameStop's Android gaming tablet plans and other attempts by Apple's competitors to muscle into mobile devices beyond the smartphone, including the Galaxy Player's attempt to rival iPod touch.

Marketing staffers have frequently taken photographs portraying Apple's Mac products and replaced the screen with a Windows screenshot, or as Nokia did this summer, simply use stock photography of a woman using the iPhone 4 and emblazon the shot with a Nokia banner to produce a generic ad.

Samsung's use of an old iOS Maps screenshot (evidently pulled from a Google image search) is particularly egregious because the graphic was purposely edited to incorporate an Android task bar in order to appear to be a feature of Google's platform, and then used to market Galaxy Player as an alternative to Apple's original iPod touch.

The issue is further complicated by the fact that Apple is already accusing Samsung of "slavishly" copying the design of its iPhone and iPad its own products.

Samsung's line of Galaxy Player devices, announced last year, was widely viewed as the company's response to Apple's successful iPod touch, which blends the iPhone with Apple's line of iPod music players.

Left, iPhone screenshot (via Flickr); Right, Samsung promotional image.

The South Korean consumer electronics giant has recently faced several setbacks in its legal dispute with Apple. Late last week, a Netherlands judge denied the company's request to block sales of the iPhone and the iPad in the country. In contrast, Apple in August successfully convinced a Dutch judge to order an injunction against three of Samsung's smartphones.

The Federal Court in Australia recently issued a preliminary injunction against Samsung's Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet after Apple assert several of its patents related to touchscreen and multitouch technologies. The ruling came on the heels of a similar decision in Germany that blocked the device.

Samsung could also face injunctions on Apple's home turf. Last week, a Samsung lawyer was unable to distinguish between the Galaxy Tab 10.1 and the iPad at a distance of 10 feet during a court hearing. U.S. District Judge Lucy Koh has yet to issue a ruling on the matter, but she has said that she believes the Galaxy tablets do infringe on some of Apple's iPad-related patents. However, Apple must still show that those patents are valid in order to win its case against its rival.

After Apple raised concerns with its rival last year, the matter went unresolved, prompting the iPhone maker to turn to the courts for help. The Cupertino, Calif., company first sued Samsung in April, and the disagreement quickly escalated, spanning more than 20 complaints across 10 countries.

Apple continues to maintain that the resemblance of Samsung's products to its own amounts to theft. "It's no coincidence that Samsung's latest products look a lot like the iPhone and iPad ... This kind of blatant copying is wrong, and we need to protect Apple's intellectual property when companies steal our ideas," an Apple spokeswoman was reported as saying last week.

In September, Samsung was accused of borrowing Apple's Safari and App Store icons to decorate the wall of a mini-store in an Italian mall after photos of the store emerged, but it turned out that the wall was actually part of the larger store's design.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 181
    Why am iNot surprised? They have no sense of shame.

Everything they build is a knock off, even a charger too.

• Reply 2 of 181
    Well, it looks like AI answered the question I just posted on the RIM Apologizes article thread.

Samsung's new slogan:

Samsung....we got BALLS! TM
  • Reply 3 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Well, it looks like AI answered the question I just posted on the RIM Apologizes article thread.

Samsung's new slogan:

Samsung....we got BALLS! TM

As a matter of fact, Samsung has its own slogan in Korea, saying "Samsung... we are your family, Koreans. (so take side with us on Apple lawsuit. we don't have logic. so nationalism it is!!)"
  • Reply 4 of 181
    If they were Japanese they would've ripped out their own guts by now.

This, the charger, the boxes, the connectors, the galaxy S, among other things are things I want Apple to win cases for.

QC is obviously lacking. And the shameless rips of the iPhone are pathetic. Aside from Nexus devices Samsung mobile will never get my business.
  • Reply 5 of 181
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Buying all this popcorn is getting mighty expensive for me as I continue getting entertainment by reading how Samsung is just digging its own grave ever so deeper.

Of course, they will simply do the teflon game and blame the slip-up on some low-level graphics guy that should have known better.

No Samsung, YOU should have known better.

Your own attorneys could not distinguish between an iPad and your own product,

Your kiosks show apple-specific icons

Your own hardware / packaging / styling are visually identical to how Apple does it,

The court systems have been slapping you on the face and agreeing with Apple about you stealing their ideas.

And you wait to introduce your new hardware only AFTER Apple comes out with their own so you can better warm-up the copy machines.

Simply no shame.
  • Reply 6 of 181
    This is what the Fandroids are saying BTW

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/10...er-50-graphic/
  • Reply 7 of 181
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Netimoon View Post

As a matter of fact, Samsung has its own slogan in Korea, saying "Samsung... we are your family, Koreans. (so take side with us on Apple lawsuit. we don't have logic. so nationalism it is!!)"

Apple should pull out of Korea completely! I'm not sure if Apple has any official stores in Korea, but if they do, then shut them down too! Demolish them to the ground! Many Koreans don't deserve Apple products, especially with all that is happening with Samsung.

About 27,000 people joined a class-action suit against Apple?s South Korean unit and headquarters, seeking 1 million won per person ($930) in damages, according to a notice posted online by Mirae Law, which represents the plaintiffs. The suit was filed in Changwon, south of Seoul, where the law firm is located.

27,000 Korean Apple users are suing Apple? For what? That silly location data story on the iPhone a while back that turned out to be a total non issue and that has long been resolved?

Those 27,000 are leeches looking for a quick buck that they don't in any way deserve or are entitled to. Screw them.
  • Reply 8 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

If they were Japanese they would've ripped out their own guts by now.

This, the charger, the boxes, the connectors, the galaxy S, among other things are things I want Apple to win cases for.

QC is obviously lacking. And the shameless rips of the iPhone are pathetic. Aside from Nexus devices Samsung mobile will never get my business.

it's not just plagiarism I feel disgusted about. it's their propaganda I feel sick of.

In Korea, they are shouting out "Yankees are chocking us fellow Koreans. we need to stick together fight against an American greedy corporation!"

Furthermore, Samsung, which is the biggest corporation in Asia, is literally possessing and controlling dozens of media corp. and newspapers, none of those facts(charger copy, box copy, phone copy, tablet copy, and software copy) has been reported to people.
  • Reply 9 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Buying all this popcorn is getting mighty expensive for me as I continue getting entertainment by reading how Samsung is just digging its own grave ever so deeper.

Of course, they will simply do the teflon game and blame the slip-up on some low-level graphics guy that should have known better.

No Samsung, YOU should have known better.

Your own attorneys could not distinguish between an iPad and your own product,

Your kiosks show apple-specific icons

Your own hardware / packaging / styling are visually identical to how Apple does it,

The court systems have been slapping you on the face and agreeing with Apple about you stealing their ideas.

And you wait to introduce your new hardware only AFTER Apple comes out with their own so you can better warm-up the copy machines.

Simply no shame.

1 point is false. 1 is a misconception and just poor kiosk placement. The rest I agree with.

Google and Samsung did not delay the release of the next Nexus device to copy Apple. And if you're referring to Siri any company can come out with a voice assistant and not copy Apple as Apple didn't invent any aspect of Siri.

As far as the misconception the kiosk is Samsungs only within the confines of the space. The back wall does not belong to Samsung it belongs to Euronics.
  • Reply 10 of 181
    Quote:

it's not just plagiarism I feel disgusted about. it's their propaganda I feel sick of.

In Korea, they are shouting out "Yankees are chocking us fellow Koreans. we need to stick together fight against an American greedy corporation!"

Furthermore, Samsung, which is the biggest corporation in Asia, is literally possessing and controlling dozens of media corp. and newspapers, none of those facts(charger copy, box copy, phone copy, tablet copy, and software copy) has been reported to people.

That's just pathetic. And I thought Fox was bad.

Samsung needs seriously new management. Get it's act together.
  • Reply 11 of 181
    I know what will happen.... the blame will be put on the advertising company... which is probably the case anyway.

Still though... you'd think Samsung would be even more careful these days...
  • Reply 12 of 181
    Quote:

Why am iNot surprised? They have no sense of shame.

Everything they build is a knock off, even a charger too.

Nope. It's just a "failure to replace a placeholder power adapter"
  • Reply 13 of 181
    There is a reason why they call themselves Samesoon.
  • Reply 14 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Apple should pull out of Korea completely! I'm not sure if Apple has any official stores in Korea, but if they do, then shut them down too! Demolish them to the ground! Many Koreans don't deserve Apple products, especially with all that is happening with Samsung.

About 27,000 people joined a class-action suit against Apple?s South Korean unit and headquarters, seeking 1 million won per person ($930) in damages, according to a notice posted online by Mirae Law, which represents the plaintiffs. The suit was filed in Changwon, south of Seoul, where the law firm is located.

27,000 Korean Apple users are suing Apple? For what? That silly location data story on the iPhone a while back that turned out to be a total non issue and that has long been resolved?

Those 27,000 are leeches looking for a quick buck that they don't in any way deserve or are entitled to. Screw them.

They don't have any official Apple Store here in Korea.

Speaking of which, Samsung is also attacking Apple mixing up that story, saying "Apple didn't build a retail store in Korea because they hate Koreans. So, you have to stop buying their goods. Buy ours."

If you could read Korea newspapers, you would be startled, because most of medias are standing by Samsung and blaming Apple for what they've made up.

BTW, I don't think Apple should pull out from Korea. There are some people who have conscience, including me.
  • Reply 15 of 181
    Quote:

There are some people who have conscience, including me.

I have an enormous conscience, far bigger than most people's.

1. the inner sense of what is right or wrong in one's conduct or motives, impelling one toward right action: to follow the dictates of conscience.

2. the complex of ethical and moral principles that controls or inhibits the actions or thoughts of an individual.

It seems that you were implying that I don't have any conscience, since I believe that Apple should pull out of South Korea. You may disagree with me, but I am no less morally correct than anybody else.
  • Reply 16 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

I know what will happen.... the blame will be put on the advertising company... which is probably the case anyway.

Still though... you'd think Samsung would be even more careful these days...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Nope. It's just a "failure to replace a placeholder power adapter"

Man with all the screenshots of the actual Google Maps for Android on the market/internet there is literally no excuse.

Even if they hired some third world shut in to do the design the department head should've picked up on it.

They are literally a bad company (mobile side). No other excuse stands.
  • Reply 17 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I have an enormous conscience, far bigger than most people's.

1. the inner sense of what is right or wrong in one's conduct or motives, impelling one toward right action: to follow the dictates of conscience.

2. the complex of ethical and moral principles that controls or inhibits the actions or thoughts of an individual.

It seems that you were implying that I don't have any conscience, since I believe that Apple should pull out of South Korea. You may disagree with me, but I am no less morally correct than anybody else.

He means in Korea. Stop inflating your importance.
  • Reply 18 of 181
    Quote:

Samsung needs seriously new management.

That's what I want as a citizen.

Unfortunately, that is the last thing will happen in Korea.

Samsung started as a family business in 1936, 75 years ago.

And they've handed over the ownership of Samsung to their sons, again yes, FOR 75 YEARS !!

For 75 years, the same family is running the company, and the family is deeply connected, connected and connected (to politicians, most of senators, and even to the president.)

Koreans say, "the family is invincible here."

I'm not talking about North Korea, but South Korea where I live in !!!

Dear, Samsung: Did Steve Jobs gave the ownership of Apple to his son? Shame on you!!
  • Reply 19 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Someone has to get fired over this.

Wouldn't one think that, in light of all of this slavish copying hubbub, extra care would be taken corporate-wide to ensure a low profile during these very public copying claim/patent dispute/sales ban proceedings?

Would a company like Samsung hire an ad agency to do this level of marketing or would they be creating and generating it in-house?
  • Reply 20 of 181
    Quote:

He means in Korea. Stop inflating your importance.

Location has no bearing on one's conscience.