Twitter CEO points to Apple as 'corporate mentor' as iOS signups triple

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Twitter CEO Dick Costolo said in an interview that the company views Apple as a "corporate mentor" because of the two companies' common focus on simplicity, while noting that iOS signups for the micro-blogging service have increased three-fold since the release of iOS 5.

During an on-stage interview at the Web 2.0 Summit in San Francisco late Monday, Costolo indicated that he expects the results from his company's new close partnership with Apple to be "even better" than originally thought. GigaOM reports. According to the executive, daily signups for Twitter from Apple's iPhone and iPad devices jumped up more than three times on the first day that iOS 5 became available.

Apple has afforded Twitter an unprecedented system-wide level of integration into iOS. But, for the fledgling social networking company, the benefits from its relationship with Apple are much greater than just increased users.

Costolo noted that Apple is a like-minded company because of the restraint it exercises on its products, adding that he views the iPhone maker as a mentor.

?Those guys [at Apple] are an amazing partner for us. When they think about products and enhancing products they think about editing them,? he was reported as saying. ?[At Twitter] we?re going to offer simplicity in a world of complexity? they?re a corporate mentor to us.?

Costolo also confirmed on Monday that the company, which launched the service in 2006, has is now worth about $8 billion, as noted by Business Insider. "Let's just call it an even $8 billion," he said. The service has grown to more than 250 million tweets a day and over 100 million global active users.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    And this little birdie went *tweet* *tweet* *tweet* allllllllll the way to the bank
  • Reply 2 of 14
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    I have to admit, the new menu item "Tweet" in Camera Roll and Safari bookmarks is quite annoying. Like cancer it penetrated through the entire IOS 5.0

Unfortunately there is no way to turn it off.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Quote:

... which launched the service in 2006, has is now worth about $8 billion...

has is now worth? lol
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

I have to admit, the new menu item "Tweet" in Camera Roll and Safari bookmarks is quite annoying. Like cancer it penetrated through the entire IOS 5.0

You dont have to use it, why is it annoying you?
  • Reply 5 of 14
    drdbdrdb Posts: 99member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Coolaaron88 View Post

You dont have to use it, why is it annoying you?

I'm surprised you'd have to ask that. As Apple users we value our screen real estate very highly.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Cancer? Twitter? I don't think so. Twitter is the only social network who seems to show a glancing respect for their users, and I value you them for that. Hiding it would be nice, but it's not the end of the world. A Facebook button on the other hand, now that I would not like.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Cancer? Twitter? I don't think so. Twitter is the only social network who seems to show a glancing respect for their users, and I value you them for that. Hiding it would be nice, but it's not the end of the world. A Facebook button on the other hand, now that I would not like.

I think they should have a Facebook and twitter button. But also give the option to turn it off. I use neither service, and never will, but my wife does.

But- asking apple to allow us to change something on the iOS interface is pretty pointless. We know it won't happen, so we just shut up, and swallow it.

I'll take a no option iOS over a fully optioned android any day.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drdb View Post

I'm surprised you'd have to ask that. As Apple users we value our screen real estate very highly.

And when the button is on a modal popup whose effect on screen real estate is meaningless by definition of its use, it doesn't really matter that there's a tweet button.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And when the button is on a modal popup whose effect on screen real estate is meaningless by definition of its use, it doesn't really matter that there's a tweet button.

Given that the modal pop up in Safari now obscures the whole screen I think it is an issue. It used to take up about half the screen, with the tweet and add to reading list (another pointless feature that also takes up space on the bookmarks page while essentially being another bookmarks menu with different formatting) the entire screen is now obscured.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drdb View Post

Given that the modal pop up in Safari now obscures the whole screen I think it is an issue. It used to take up about half the screen, with the tweet and add to reading list (another pointless feature that also takes up space on the bookmarks page while essentially being another bookmarks menu with different formatting) the entire screen is now obscured.

But you can't do anything with the screen behind it anyway, so it doesn't really matter how much it covers.

If we get enough buttons that that thing has to SCROLL, then we'd have a problem.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    I still want Apple to buy Twitter.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

I still want Apple to buy Twitter.

Twitter ain't selling at this point. It does seem like a good fit though.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    See that I mean about Twitter caring?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...overnment.html
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If we get enough buttons that that thing has to SCROLL, then we'd have a problem.

That's the kind of 'feature' I'd expect on a Windows phone.