Apple releases minor 4.4.1 software update for Apple TV

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Less than a week after issuing a major update to coincide with iOS 5, Apple has provided another minor update intended to fix bugs for its Apple TV set-top box [updatedx2].

Update: Apple has reissued the update.

Apple TV software update version 4.4.1 is now available for download on the device. It can be obtained by navigating to "General," then "Settings," and choosing Update Software.

According to Apple, the software update addresses an issue that required a small number of Apple TV units to be connected to iTunes in order to complete last week's 4.4 update.

One of the major features added with last week's iOS 5 update is AirPlay mirroring, which allows a user to send their iPad 2 display wirelessly to the Apple TV. It also allows console-style gaming via supported titles like Real Racing 2 HD.

Last week's Apple TV update also added access to Apple's new iCloud-powered Photo Stream feature, which automatically uploads pictures taken with an iPhone or iPad 2 and shares them among iOS devices. With the update, users can view Photo Stream pictures on their HDTV.

The update also added access to iTunes Trailers, Wall Street Journal Live, and the ability to watch live games through the National Hockey League's GameCenter subscription service.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Less than a week after issuing a major update to coincide with iOS 5, Apple has provided another minor update intended to fix bugs for its Apple TV set-top box.

Apple TV software update version 4.4.1 is now available for download on the device. It can be obtained by navigating to "General," then "Settings," and choosing Update Software.

According to Apple, the software update addresses an issue that required a small number of Apple TV units to be connected to iTunes in order to complete last week's 4.4 update.

One of the major features added with last week's iOS 5 update is AirPlay mirroring, which allows a user to send their iPad 2 display wirelessly to the Apple TV. It also allows console-style gaming via supported titles like Real Racing 2 HD.

Last week's Apple TV update also added access to Apple's new iCloud-powered Photo Stream feature, which automatically uploads pictures taken with an iPhone or iPad 2 and shares them among iOS devices. With the update, users can view Photo Stream pictures on their HDTV.

The update also added access to iTunes Trailers, Wall Street Journal Live, and the ability to watch live games through the National Hockey League's GameCenter subscription service.

I hope that Apple releases an update to iOS 5 itself soon. I have noticed two problems with my iPhone 3GS that I have been having since I updated last week .. 1) the phone seems to use much more power (even when all settings that are supposed to be set low to save battery are set to low) which causes battery life to be much shorter, and 2) the audio / volume is about 50% less than it used to be. Audio for some applications is very hard to listen to and hear, because there apparently is a problem with how the audio is handled now. I read something about using SSH to connect to the iPhone as "ROOT" to correct the problem, but I think this is beyond my expertise. I have also tried something called (I think) a "Springboard Reset" (changing the default language setting on the iPhone to another language, and then changing the language back to English), but none of the methods that I have tried to fix the audio problem I am having have helped. I hope that Apple knows about the power/battery and audio/volume issues, and I hope that these will be addressed very soon, in the next update.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital_Guy View Post

I hope that Apple releases an update to iOS 5 itself soon.

Having what to do with the Apple TV?
  • Reply 3 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital_Guy View Post

I hope that Apple releases an update to iOS 5 itself soon. I have noticed two problems with my iPhone 3GS that I have been having since I updated last week .. 1) the phone seems to use much more power (even when all settings that are supposed to be set low to save battery are set to low) which causes battery life to be much shorter, and 2) the audio / volume is about 50% less than it used to be. Audio for some applications is very hard to listen to and hear, because there apparently is a problem with how the audio is handled now. I read something about using SSH to connect to the iPhone as "ROOT" to correct the problem, but I think this is beyond my expertise. I have also tried something called (I think) a "Springboard Reset" (changing the default language setting on the iPhone to another language, and then changing the language back to English), but none of the methods that I have tried to fix the audio problem I am having have helped. I hope that Apple knows about the power/battery and audio/volume issues, and I hope that these will be addressed very soon, in the next update.

And this has what to do with the Apple TV? Survey says: NOTHING.... Why not start a thread and complain over there?
  • Reply 4 of 34
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    I just checked, and there was no update available.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

I just checked, and there was no update available.

Check again; it's there.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Check again; it's there.

What's the build number?

Mine is showing: 4.4 (3140).

TIA
  • Reply 7 of 34
    Apple pulled this update as it was bricking a large number of AppleTVs.
  • Reply 8 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by godrifle View Post

I had this issue with mine last night. Required a restore with a micro USB cable that isn't included with the Apple TV. I had one so I was able to get through it. Plug the Apple TV into the computer and run a fairly standard (although odd for Apple TV) restore. It downloads the IOS files, and restores it. Reset all my settings also.

Not everyone has a micro USB cable though. Seems like a pretty big fail not to use a standard 30 pin connector, or include the cable in the box.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by godrifle View Post

It bricked mine after it took me 5 tries to get the original update to work... Grrrr... Meanwhile they are still working to get my iCloud to work properly. This is not Apple's finest hour.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

It bricked mine after it took me 5 tries to get the original update to work... Grrrr... Meanwhile they are still working to get my iCloud to work properly. This is not Apple's finest hour.

Both work fine for me. Hyperbole never helps anyone.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    well, I can't wait to try out this mirroring feature. My only beef around it (on paper) is that it will only do mirroring with the iPad. That seems like a missed opportunity when you think about how awesome it would be to just use your iphone/touch as the game console/controller. Using the ipad would seem kind of pointless. It's a bit too bulk and big, plus you've got your screen right in front of you so you'd be mostly looking down at it anyway. Seems like the only advantage to gaming would be that you can show-off your skills to your friends. Maybe this is Apple's baby steps towards a more fully integrated iOS mirroring in the future, that way the black box is just a dumb box. That could be their way around not having to give the aTV the app store and what-nots without having to come up with a funky controller for it, should you not have an iPad/phone/touch.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    My experience was I attempted to update my AppleTV, it seemed to download the software okay, but then a picture of a USB cord and the Itunes symbol showed up. So I packed up the unit and went to the Genius Bar. They attempted to fix the unit but they could not restore it, so sent me home with a refurbished new unit. When I got home the same thing occurred. Back to the Genius bar I went. They again could not reboot the unit and where also out of stock of refurbished units. They told me they would have one for me in 3 days. What I will do when I go to pick it up is have the genius bar people do the upgrade in-store for me. Love Apple products though.

--- UPdate as of 10/19/11

I got called by the Apple Store that my refurbished AppleTV was in. As I planned, I asked the genious bar to do the upgrade to 4.4.1. He tried, but the AppleTV reported that the software was up to date. It was not, it was running 4.3. To make a long story short, the genious has other 'resourses' not availble to the public. He downloaded the 4.4.1 software and updated my AppleTV. Brought it home and it now works fine.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

well, I can't wait to try out this mirroring feature. My only beef around it (on paper) is that it will only do mirroring with the iPad. That seems like a missed opportunity when you think about how awesome it would be to just use your iphone/touch as the game console/controller. Using the ipad would seem kind of pointless. It's a bit too bulk and big, plus you've got your screen right in front of you so you'd be mostly looking down at it anyway. Seems like the only advantage to gaming would be that you can show-off your skills to your friends. Maybe this is Apple's baby steps towards a more fully integrated iOS mirroring in the future, that way the black box is just a dumb box. That could be their way around not having to give the aTV the app store and what-nots without having to come up with a funky controller for it, should you not have an iPad/phone/touch.

I can verify that it works with the iPhone 4S also. I guess it requires the A5 or higher?

Anyway, this is the most killer feature that nobody is talking about yet. This has the potential to be HUGE. The AppleTV is Apple's stealth play for the gaming world. They just need to bless a spec for a third-party Bluetooth game controller with real buttons and they could instantly dominate. It's THAT slick. I was not expecting this to work as well as it does.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

Works fine with my 4S....
  • Reply 15 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Having what to do with the Apple TV?

Having everything to do with Apple software updates and all the new software recently released. I believe you knew that and that you were just being obtuse
  • Reply 16 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MauiJoe View Post

Having everything to do with Apple software updates and all the new software recently released. I believe you knew that and that you were just being obtuse

There's not a SINGLE thing in his post that applies to the Apple TV at all.

Not a one. Not even the iOS 5 part.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cbrooker View Post

My experience was I attempted to update my AppleTV, ... What I will do when I go to pick it up is have the genius bar people do the upgrade in-store for me.

Thanks for the story. It always amazes me when someone relates a story on a forum, and just tells the facts. Seriously. Welcome, and good luck!
  • Reply 18 of 34
    Huh...hopefully the bricking part isn't true. I'll just hold off on updating mine I think. <3 my Apple TV
  • Reply 19 of 34
    8002580025 Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aross99 View Post

Not everyone has a micro USB cable though. Seems like a pretty big fail not to use a standard 30 pin connector, or include the cable in the box.

It's cost cutting and off loading that expense to the customer
  • Reply 20 of 34
    This update applied fine, but did not fix the issue of sudden halting of streamed .mp4 links sent over from the Safari Media Center extension:

http://hoyois.github.com/safariextensions/mediacenter/

This seems like an ATV issue, as the video plays fine, but stops after a little while -- the Safari extension merely sends the URL over... I checked, and bandwidth was not an issue, so I dunno...