Dropbox rejected nine-figure buyout offer from Apple in 2009

Comments

• Reply 21 of 123
    Apple bought NeXT and all it's talent and IP for $400 Million. Macrumors is reporting they turned down $800 Million for a file sharing app.

Brain dead.
  • Reply 22 of 123
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    >my roomate's step-sister makes $81 hourly on the internet. She has been out of a job for 10 months but last month her check was $7706 just working on the internet for a >few hours.

I just reported you, please will everyone else do same so we can get rid of this clown

you are just about to lose you appleinsider account, and close the door on the way out
  • Reply 23 of 123
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    He is a better man than me. I would have sold.
  • Reply 24 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

People not running OS X 10.7.2.

But how long will that last? Not long.
  • Reply 25 of 123
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    This reminds me of Groupon rejecting a $6 BILLION offer from Google. Traffic to Groupon has since fallen off a cliff.
  • Reply 26 of 123
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by craigciccone View Post

while i think it would have been a great move for these guys financially to agree to apple's offer, i'm happy this never happened and that dropbox remained a stand alone company/product. i use dropbox to share documents with other people all the time, something iCloud hasn't addressed at all. i hope apple chooses to compete with dropbox even more and is able to add on some more capabilities, however, being in bed with content providers on so many fronts inhibits their ability to allow users to share things with each other with the ease they hope for.

up to a point its okay but the free service does not allow storage of certain file formats does it, only pdf's and text not any word processing or spreadsheets, with icloud I can store any format
  • Reply 27 of 123
    I saw iCloud more as a feature and Dropbox more as a product. With iDisk going, Dropbox becomes more useful. I don't see iCloud adding an iDisk feature back in because Apple wants to get away from the filesystem concept. However, there are many users who still like the idea of a hard disk in the cloud....myself included.
  • Reply 28 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

up to a point its okay but the free service does not allow storage of certain file formats does it, only pdf's and text not any word processing or spreadsheets, with icloud I can store any format

i'm not sure what service you're talking about, but dropbox supports more than just pdfs and text. i've put video/music/word processing/spreadsheet/so on and so forth.
  • Reply 29 of 123
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Skaag View Post

I can't believe they refused. How stupid of them.

What if Drop Box had money to counter-offer to buy Apple! Think Steve would have sold?

Money isn't everything... Guess, like Steve, they are doing what they love!

/

/

/
  • Reply 30 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

idiots

icloud just has to be popular enough to steal enough customers to tank the business. and icloud will improve every year.

this year is just the core features for most people. expect apple to add more free features every year

You ain't lying brother!!! In this wild a** tech game and with competitors like Apple you better take the money and run. And I got goose bumps just imagining the conversation Jobs had with them fools. They said no to the LEGEND? Are you crazy!!!!

9 figures? Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh*********!!!!

Cha Ching!
  • Reply 31 of 123
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Apple bought NeXT and all it's talent and IP for $400 Million. Macrumors is reporting they turned down $800 Million for a file sharing app.

Brain dead.

I had read months ago they were offered more by a venture capitalist that would allow them to function more or less as they wish, unless Apple's likely interest to shut it down and incorporate their IP into iCloud. Sometimes it's not about the money but the prestige, which is hard to get once you're absorbed into the backend of a product of a mega-company.
  • Reply 32 of 123
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Dropbox was novel for the time and is still incredibly useful, but trust me, it will become more irrrelevant as time passes. Everyone is baking in similar functionality in their ecosystems and OS, and it will be only a matter of time before dropbox is simply a service that duplicates native functionality for most people. Yes, he had 'guts' to say no, but there's a fine line between that and irrational hubris/pride/stupidity. There's something to be said of taking a good opportunity when one presents itself, after a rational look at the situation. I simply can't see dropbox becoming MORE valuable than it is now, simply less- this is the only reasonable conclusion when taking a birds-eye view of the industry.

I think that sums it up. I wonder if they were locked into certain investors so the offer was 'not enough'
  • Reply 33 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I had read months ago they were offered more by a venture capitalist that would allow them to function more or less as they wish, unless Apple's likely interest to shut it down and incorporate their IP into iCloud. Sometimes it's not about the money but the prestige, which is hard to get once you're absorbed into the backend of a product of a mega-company.

This guy fantasizes that Dropbox has the capital appeal of a Twitter or a Facebook. They are a backend service and not a very ubiquitous one. They were simply brain dead on this call.
  • Reply 34 of 123
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

i am disappointed with iCloud. great idea, but half baked to work only for cetain people.

I don't know about half-baked, but I think it was foolish to not support MacOS X 10.6.9 for mail, contacts, and calendars - especially since they're using industry standard protocols.

I can't use iCloud anymore because my family owns some Macs that can not be upgraded to Lion (Core Duo). So now I can't share calendars or contacts with them using iCloud for at least a couple of years.
  • Reply 35 of 123
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

I don't know about half-baked, but I think it was foolish to not support MacOS X 10.6.9 for mail, contacts, and calendars - especially since they're using industry standard protocols.

I can't use iCloud anymore because my family owns some Macs that can not be upgraded to Lion (Core Duo). So now I can't share calendars or contacts with them using iCloud for at least a couple of years.

My wife's company doesn't want her to upgrade to Lion yet, so now our Calendar syncing is broken. I hear you. Awful transition story from MobileMe to iCloud.
  • Reply 36 of 123
    This was an even dumber move than when Panic Software tried to get in bed with AOL instead of Apple. Apple was looking for a platform on which to create to create iTunes and they wanted to buy Audion. http://www.panic.com/extras/audionstory/
  • Reply 37 of 123
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    DropBox is a feature... a feature iCloud still needs.

iCloud still needs management tools. E.g., I do not appreciate being unable to delete pics from Photostream in the cloud.
  • Reply 38 of 123
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBlomberg View Post

As much as I love APple, I believe they could have ruined the DropBox that I use every day. I liked it so much that I purchased the 50 GB plan and so have most of my colleagues. It just works great for workflow and multisite production. Plus sharing a folder is excellent.

What Apple has done with iCould is what I would expect, and that is fine for many consumers, but as a Pro DropBox will likely beat it for some time. We all know Apple could catch up, but for now I will stick with DropBox and just leave iCould for some personal stuff. Besides DropBox has been far more consistent than say iDisk and if the iClouds stumbles at launch (given they had millions of users all rushing in at once) are any indication of iClouds reliability I will just let it keep my calendar and contacts in sync. iCloud is way better than MobileMe was ever with that.

enter a market with multiple players and concentrate on one or two features and polish the hell out of them.

add more features

?

profit

see the history of windows and iphone. i might buy my first Mac just for the iphone to iphoto functionality later this year. icloud will add more features every year and make dropbox a waste of money
  • Reply 39 of 123
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

My wife's company doesn't want her to upgrade to Lion yet, so now our Calendar syncing is broken. I hear you. Awful transition story from MobileMe to iCloud.

Set up your own iCal server. Keep your calendar private.
  • Reply 40 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

So in December of 2009, Jobs, Houston and his partner Arash Ferdowsi met for a meeting in Jobs's office at Apple's Cupertino, Calif., headquarters. Houston said he was ecstatic, as he considers Jobs his hero.

Houston reportedly attempted to show a demo of Dropbox to Jobs from his laptop, but the Apple co-founder stopped him by saying, "I know what you do."

"met for a meeting"? Really? They met for a meeting?

Yeah, if Steve Jobs calls you to his office at One Infinite Loop, there's a 100% chance he knows what your product or service is about, lol. You don't have to pitch it to him. He's probably so far ahead of the curve, he knows where you'll be in 10 years.