LG, AU Optronics allegedly supplying 7.85" iPad screens to Apple

Comments

• Reply 81 of 116
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I recall a lot of people saying the same thing about iPhone vs Android. Last time I checked Android sales were doing OK.

Not in the tablet arena.
  • Reply 82 of 116
    7.85 would fit just fine a double DIN slot in modern cars. Maybe this is finally an Apple media centre for the car. I would be in the line straight away.

iOS 5 or later in my car? Yes please!!!
  • Reply 83 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by laalves View Post

7.85 would fit just fine a double DIN slot in modern cars. Maybe this is finally an Apple media centre for the car. I would be in the line straight away.

iOS 5 or later in my car? Yes please!!!

Car manufacturers would NEVER leave an open spot in their dashboards for some third-party hardware and car manufacturers would NEVER let you take hardware from your old car and plug it into your new one so that you don't have to give them more money.
  • Reply 84 of 116
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

According to at least one poster, there was no truth to that message whatsoever. Apple was telling deliberate lies about the ideal form factor, and especially, told deliberate lies about their estmation of the success of a 7 inch form faactor.

Not only did Apple tell these blatent, barefaced lies, but the message was delivered by the CEO and Chairman of the Board, which is as official an oral statement as possible for a corporation to give.

But they lied, according to at least one poster. Shamelessly. In order to make profits.

EVIL is what that poster thinks of Apple.

But I think that Steve was sincere, and was not a scum sucking, pants on fire, lying sonofabitch. Just IMO.

Seriously? You took that poster's comments as accusing Jobs of lying? If you are saying that's what it was, then yes, there is in fact a long, proven history of Jobs "lying" about Apple's future direction. You have to remember, Steve was more than CEO. He was also Apple's chief marketer and salesman. And as others have posted, it's possible that Apple, and even Steve himself, could change their minds about previous positions.

If in your mind that's lying, then yes, Steve lied about a lot of things.
  • Reply 85 of 116
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 86 of 116
    ipenipen Posts: 410member
    Sigh, after Steve is gone, Apple starts to stray off its path... Any screen size less than iPad is useless. Just watch, Apple will get burned by coming out with a smaller tablet.
  • Reply 87 of 116
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ipen View Post

Sigh, after Steve is gone, Apple starts to stray off its path... Any screen size less than iPad is useless. Just watch, Apple will get burned by coming out with a smaller tablet.

Fear not, Steve would have been on top of the planning for this. Takes a while to develop these things, don't ya' know.
  • Reply 88 of 116
    deleted
  • Reply 89 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Seriously? You took that poster's comments as accusing Jobs of lying? If you are saying that's what it was, then yes, there is in fact a long, proven history of Jobs "lying" about Apple's future direction. You have to remember, Steve was more than CEO. He was also Apple's chief marketer and salesman. And as others have posted, it's possible that Apple, and even Steve himself, could change their minds about previous positions.

If in your mind that's lying, then yes, Steve lied about a lot of things.

No he's not serious, not joking, he's prodding, working to stir things up. He's got a job to do, let's leave him alone to do it.
  • Reply 90 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

I'm not so sure. With mobile devices I think it pays well to offer some variety. I know more than a few people who would love to buy an iPhone if it had a slide-out keyboard. But currently Apple doesn't offer one, so they have no choice but to use Android.

I don't think Apple will go crazy with diversification, but mobile devices are uncommonly personal choices, and providing a little variety to match varying tastes can keep a lot of competitors at bay.

Implying that Apple will offer a physical keyboard, much less a slide-out one, is abject nonsense.
  • Reply 91 of 116
    deleted
  • Reply 92 of 116
    Quote:

It may be, but your opinion doesn't reduce the demand for one.

What demand? The last physical keyboard post I saw before yours was in 2008.
  • Reply 93 of 116
    jcozjcoz Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Fear not, Steve would have been on top of the planning for this. Takes a while to develop these things, don't ya' know.

Agreed. IMO, Apple will not, IMO, release anthing in the next 3 years that didn't have Steve's ideas driving it.
  • Reply 94 of 116
    Quote:

It may be, but your opinion doesn't reduce the demand for one.

I think Apple was originally offended by little mechanical parts like buttons, and later would be deeply contemptuous of a trash element like a slider, and by now be at the point of realizing, emphatically, that TEXTING IS DEAD! (On any kind of keyboard, that is.)

I ask forgiveness for taking this Androidish provocation seriously for a minute, but Skil must be defended on this point, not that he ever seems to need defending.

Edit: Viz. the 2008 response above.
  • Reply 95 of 116
    deleted
  • Reply 96 of 116
    deleted
  • Reply 97 of 116
    Quote:

Then we have the subset of those who even know what AppleInsider.com is.

Forgive me; I meant anywhere on the Internet, not just here.

Quote:

"abject nonsense".

YES! It's finally my catchphrase!
  • Reply 98 of 116
    cmooooooooon not again, i do not believe this shitty reports
  • Reply 99 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Car manufacturers would NEVER leave an open spot in their dashboards for some third-party hardware and car manufacturers would NEVER let you take hardware from your old car and plug it into your new one so that you don't have to give them more money.

Are you for real? Ever heard of Alpine, Eclipse, Pioneer and countless others?

There are no open spots in dashboards, there are however, standard sizes for ICE units, and those are 1-DIN and 2-DIN. In my car, for example, I simply removed the existing and limited OEM unit and installed an Alpine 7" screen unit to the 2-DIN slot.

If Apple ever comes out with such a unit, I would drop one in straight away.
  • Reply 100 of 116
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

Calm down, CJ - there are other plausible explanations, like:

2) People change their minds, even Steve Jobs.

Of course. But that is not what the OP said. He accused Steve of telling a deliberate lie. That is very different.