LG, AU Optronics allegedly supplying 7.85" iPad screens to Apple

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ipen View Post

Sigh, after Steve is gone, Apple starts to stray off its path... Any screen size less than iPad is useless. Just watch, Apple will get burned by coming out with a smaller tablet.

what about the iphone? its screen size is less than ipads.

for what it was designed to be the ipads size is right.

if pre-order for kindle fire is as big as speculation then maybe people will buy a 7" ipad device. i would.
  • Reply 102 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

what about the iphone? its screen size is less than ipads.

for what it was designed to be the ipads size is right.

I wish I could understand what you meant by that last sentence.

But I'll say again, completely different use paradigms.
  • Reply 103 of 116
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by laalves View Post

Are you for real? Ever heard of Alpine, Eclipse, Pioneer and countless others?

There are no open spots in dashboards, there are however, standard sizes for ICE units, and those are 1-DIN and 2-DIN. In my car, for example, I simply removed the existing and limited OEM unit and installed an Alpine 7" screen unit to the 2-DIN slot.

If Apple ever comes out with such a unit, I would drop one in straight away.

The car audio aftermarket isn't that big (in relative terms) so it's probably not even on Apple's radar. Add to that the fact that no matter how wonderful the aftermarket unit is, it looks out of place in whatever vehicle it's installed in and doesn't fully integrate with the rest of the vehicle's features.

The real coup would be for a manufacturer to woo Apple into participating in development of an OEM platform for vehicles (sort of along the lines of Microsoft Sync). Imagine Siri in your car and seamless integration of your iOS devices with the in-car entertainment. I seriously doubt this will ever happen, but it would certainly be interesting.
  • Reply 103 of 116
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

On the other hand, now there's Siri. Could it be that Apple is moving toward a heavily Siri-oriented experience in a smaller iPad?

Very very interesting thought.
  • Reply 105 of 116
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Don't mis-underestimate the Jobs.

On a serious note, I think this one will pile up with the rest of the iPad rumors, it's probably a manufacturer looking to run their 7" setup, and decided that a rumor might encourage the market.

"mis-underestimate"? That isn't a word.
  • Reply 106 of 116
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

why does Apple have different size screens for it's MBP line?

Because there is no need to sandpaper down your fingertips to bloody little stumps in oder to use a full sized keyboard?
  • Reply 107 of 116
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

"mis-underestimate"? That isn't a word.

It's a riff on the way former President Bush used to take liberties with vocabulary.
  • Reply 108 of 116
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Disagree all you want - but if the 7 inch iPad comes out you'll all be waiting in line for it.
  • Reply 109 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Disagree all you want - but if the 7 inch iPad comes out you'll all be waiting in line for it.

Nope.
  • Reply 110 of 116
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Because there is no need to sandpaper down your fingertips to bloody little stumps in oder to use a full sized keyboard?

That may go down as the dumbest thing Steve ever said. (loosely paraphrased by you with added emphasis for dramatic effect)
  • Reply 111 of 116
    aknabiaknabi Posts: 211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by un_plug View Post

Another BS report. 7-8" iPad- not gonna happen.

Another comment out someones backside... you have no idea nor do I... it would be a perfectly reasonable move and you're probably one of those annoying fanboys that if/when it does will claim what a genius move and was predicable all along.

• Reply 112 of 116
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    I really doubt that a smaller iPad is happening.

But, I will throw this theory out though just for the heck of it:

THe new smaller iPad maintains the same resolution as the current 9.7" model and comes in at a price of no more than $299.

Maybe have two models of this ipad. Would be specked pretty similar to the current iPad 2.

Then the 9.7" model becomes the model with the "retina" display.

It starts at $499 minimum.

I have to say a Retina iPad 3 with an A6 processor would not be real cheap but damn, it would be awesome.

So basically a smaller screen iPad 2 at the new low end and the iPad 3 as the higher end model.
  • Reply 113 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

I really doubt that a smaller iPad is happening.

But, I will throw this theory out though just for the heck of it:

THe new smaller iPad maintains the same resolution as the current 9.7" model and comes in at a price of no more than $299.

Maybe have two models of this ipad. Would be specked pretty similar to the current iPad 2.

Then the 9.7" model becomes the model with the "retina" display.

It starts at $499 minimum.

I have to say a Retina iPad 3 with an A6 processor would not be real cheap but damn, it would be awesome.

So basically a smaller screen iPad 2 at the new low end and the iPad 3 as the higher end model.

$299 is the current price for the 32GB iPod Touch. How does it work that right now Apple can only deliver a device with a phone screen but supposedly soon will be offering for the same money a device with a screen approaching 8 inches. How likely is that?
  • Reply 114 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Car manufacturers would NEVER leave an open spot in their dashboards for some third-party hardware and car manufacturers would NEVER let you take hardware from your old car and plug it into your new one so that you don't have to give them more money.

instead, they are putting the screen in already, and connecting your iPhone to it... it is probably around the 7" mark though...

http://www.motoringfile.com/2011/10/...ps/#more-20557
  • Reply 115 of 116
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 116 of 116
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted