Apple retail stores to shutter Wednesday for Steve Jobs celebration

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple on Wednesday will pause retail store operations in the U.S. for three hours to pay tribute to Steve Jobs and allow employees to watch a live broadcast of a celebration to take place at the company's headquarters during the same time.

The celebration of Jobs?s life will be run from 10 AM PT to 11.30 AM PT at the outdoor amphitheater on Apple?s Cupertino, Calif. campus. Retail stores in California are reportedly declining online bookings for Wednesday morning in view of the memorial service.

Meanwhile, Apple employees in Asia and Australia will be able to watch a re-broadcast of the event at a latter date.

Apple?s company-wide celebration follows a memorial for Jobs that took place on Sunday at Stanford Memorial Church and was attended by family, friends, artists, political figures and technology leaders.

Jobs passed away at age 56 on Oct. 5 after a long bout with cancer, a day after the company announced the iPhone 4S.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    You know... I still find it all just too hard to believe. It would be nice if the event was perhaps posted on the Apple website after the fact, just like keynotes... but maybe that's pushing it.

Miss you Steve. I brought you flowers in a pretty little vase at The Domain Apple Store in Austin, TX. I feel like I owe you so much more though.

-Joe
  • Reply 2 of 6
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by josephwinters View Post

It would be nice if the event was perhaps posted on the Apple website after the fact, just like keynotes... but maybe that's pushing it.

I thought about the same thing too. Apple should stream this on their site sometime after it's done. This doesn't sound like a very private event, and Apple obviously knows that millions of Apple fans around the world would love to watch it too.

If some low level person working in Apple retail can watch it, then surely longtime Apple fans should also be able to watch it too. Some of those retail people don't even truly know what Apple is, since they weren't around when it began, many of them probably weren't even born. Many Apple customers have been fans since the beginning.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I thought about the same thing too. Apple should stream this on their site sometime after it's done. This doesn't sound like a very private event,

Since it's not a private event why not open up the campus to the rabid horde and let them come on in. And let the public into the stores as well. Shit, why not broadcast it to all iPhones and iPads and take over every TV station in the world while they are at it.

Oh wait, this is a private event. It is private to Apple. Which is why they are closing the doors putting up sound curtains so no one can film or record it from outside.

At some point they might put up some of it on a site with all the stories they set up the email account to receive. Perhaps toss up some old keynote and interview footage etc. but it is unlikely that they will put up the entire event. If only because perhaps not everyone involved wants to have his/her words and image posted and in the State of Cali outside of a genuine news event, if they don't say you can, you can't.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I sent this to [email protected]:

This is my second message. First there was a small private ceremony for family and close friends. This was as it should be. The great loss millions of us feel pales in comparison with theirs. Then there was the large, invitation only memorial at Stanford. The famous and notable got to share in paying their respects, but we were locked out. Now there will be a third memorial open only to Apple employees. So memorials have been held for three groups: the family, the famous, and the employees. A much larger but very important group has been left out: the billions of loyal Apple customers and fans of Steve Jobs. I've been a customer and fan since the beginning before many Apple employees were born. Where would Apple be without us?

The televised week-long ceremonies when President Reagan died and the funeral of Princess Diana were moving and helpful. I know...they were public figures. Maybe Steve Jobs wasn't technically a public figure, but for all practical purposes, he was the most public figure of our time.

I have read everything I could find on the Internet and in magazines, and I watched "iGenius: How Steve Jobs Changed the World," and I look forward to reading Walter Isaacson's book on my iPad as soon as it comes out, but it would have been nice if something could have been arranged for the people who line up for hours outside Apple stores for the latest iPhone.

Thank you for establishing this email address for us to send our thoughts and condolences, but this is a loney process. I would have liked to feel a part of a larger group like I did with President Reagan. Maybe it's appropriate for the employees event to remain private, but if you have a video of the Stanford event?and I bet you do?please consider making it available.

Respectfully,

A member of the large forgotten group

Sent from my iPad
  • Reply 5 of 6
    I played a small part in Steve's life when I took Buckminster Fuller to Apple HQ to meet him with no advanced warning. Yet Apple has made no provisions for anyone but big shots and employees to directly participate in memorial services. I'm very upset we couldn't have been included in today's service.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I thought about the same thing too. Apple should stream this on their site sometime after it's done. This doesn't sound like a very private event, and Apple obviously knows that millions of Apple fans around the world would love to watch it too.

If some low level person working in Apple retail can watch it, then surely longtime Apple fans should also be able to watch it too. Some of those retail people don't even truly know what Apple is, since they weren't around when it began, many of them probably weren't even born. Many Apple customers have been fans since the beginning.

Not only that, but I originally had a Genius Bar appt for this afternoon - I wound up canceling it [it was about the 4S battery issues - they seem to be improving], but I'd have been hella annoyed if I'd taken the train to Palo Alto, walked to the store, and found it shuttered. Saying that will all due respect to Jobs, but - when you've just launched a new phone and a new OS, I'm not sure that shutting all your stores for hours is the best thing to do.