Notes of interest from Apple's Q4 2011 conference call

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    forisforis Posts: 25member
    The bottom line here seems to be that AAPL posted big gains - and this despite that the comparable quarter last year included the launch of the iPhone 4.

The other thing which is fantastic news for all Apple investors is that all the news is good for future growth - being the world's largest corporation by market cap is irrelevant to future earnings.

This knee-jerk reaction shows what a pack of ignorant sheep most analysts are. The bloggers were off in cloud cuckoo land, and only a very few analysts got it right this time. Give it a few days, and the Apple guidance for Q4 will sink in. The takeaway here is that it's the analysts with egg on their face, not Apple.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    Quote:

Total revenue in fiscal 2011 was more than $108 billion.

One Hundred... BILLION Dollars.

Muh ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!
  • Reply 23 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Strange that cash went up by only ~$6B or so during the quarter....

Here's the interesting part though:

Ended the quarter with 81.6 billion in cash plus short term and long term investments, an increase of $5.4 billion from the June quarter.

Total revenue in fiscal 2011 was more than $108 billion.

Apple in its fiscal 2011 had revenue of $108 billion. It ended the year with 81.6 billion in reserves. I know this is a not a conventional financial juxtaposition but I know many governments around the world that would kill (literally) to have these kind of figures.

It bears reflecting.

I wonder what country Tim Cook would like to buy.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uplate View Post

One Hundred... BILLION Dollars.

Muh ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!

Nice!
  • Reply 25 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foris View Post

The bottom line here seems to be that AAPL posted big gains - and this despite that the comparable quarter last year included the launch of the iPhone 4.

The other thing which is fantastic news for all Apple investors is that all the news is good for future growth - being the world's largest corporation by market cap is irrelevant to future earnings.

This knee-jerk reaction shows what a pack of ignorant sheep most analysts are. The bloggers were off in cloud cuckoo land, and only a very few analysts got it right this time. Give it a few days, and the Apple guidance for Q4 will sink in. The takeaway here is that it's the analysts with egg on their face, not Apple.

Well, AAPL is at $422 and will probably IMHO march on to $450 by the middle of next year even as the [global financial system limps on leaning on China]. This will be vindication enough. iPhone 4S and iPad 3 is "blow away stuff"*. Welcome to 2012 Apple, welcome indeed.

*Scott Forstall's version of Steve's "Boom!"

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Don't forget massive amount of iPhone-4 owners that were willing to upgrade but now delaying it for one more year.

Indeed, this is a virtually guaranteed iPhone 5 market.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sessamoid View Post

Absolutely no concern here. Massive amount of people delaying iPhone purchases last quarter due to delayed iPhone introduction. This quarter is going to be a killer. They're going to destroy all records and expectations this quarter.

Yes that certainly explains PART of it. But Apple has gone through many product transitions before without missing expectations. What's different this time and is it a harbinger of tougher product cycles to come?
  • Reply 27 of 28
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by turbonator View Post

Yes that certainly explains PART of it. But Apple has gone through many product transitions before without missing expectations. What's different this time and is it a harbinger of tougher product cycles to come?

Unless of course you are listening to the market manipulators -err analysts and what they where up to. There is nothing bad at all about these numbers and accurately reflect what Apple themselves predicted. Ideally don't understand the gullibility of people these days, analysts are very much like high priced used car salesmen. You would trust a used car salesman would you?

In any event what will be interesting is what is in the pipeline. There should be some really interesting new hardware coming over the next 8 months or so.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Buh-Bye, Mac Pro. Let the Geekazoids lament.

I seriously would hope not. It's the only computer they sell that can do what I want it to do; large HDD internal capacity and a non-glossy screen. The mini might processor-wise be quick enough, I don't think the video card will fulfill my Aperture 'needs'. A laptop is just not quick enough for my taste, but has a non-glossy option. The iMac comes in glossy, so not for me. I seriously hope they keep on making the MacPro, at whatever price point, at whatever upgrade pace they wish. For me, it's the best Mac.