Mac Mini 2011 RAM Upgrade Issue

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Just received the base model 2011 mini with 2GB of RAM and immediately ordered and 8GB kit from crucial to upgrade right away.

So I get home tonight and flip it over and take the old RAM sticks out but when taking the bottom one out one of the pieces of plastic inside the metal spring tab broke off.

The New RAM seats in the slot just fine, but do i need to be concerned about he plastic breaking off? will the metal part now touch something it shouldn't.

I turned the machine on and it recognized all the RAM right away and everything seems fine. AM I ok or do I need to have a replacement? I don't really want to deal with that hassle....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    I am thinking you should be fine however I have heard that the clips are very flimsy.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    So just to confirm: I can upgrade to 8GB.

This will be the first Mac I buy.

I gave up on Apple when they abandoned the AppleII line (remember the IIg)

I swore I would never buy another apple product. But my wife had a iPod shuffle. Then she had to have the iPhone4 this past spring. I'll be buying the iPhone4s on Sprint in the near future.

Due to money (lack of work) I'm looking for the cheapest and current MAC. I think the route to go is a mac Mini?

Set me straight.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brian65pls View Post

So just to confirm: I can upgrade to 8GB.

You can upgrade to 16GB, even.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You can upgrade to 16GB, even.

At this point in time if the goal is to save money, 16GB doesn't make a very attractive option in this model. Perhaps if 8GB sticks become the norm while appropriate memory for this model is still being manufactured in high volume, it might be practical later.

To the OP, I never realized that model had such flimsy clips.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmm View Post

At this point in time if the goal is to save money, 16GB doesn't make a very attractive option in this model.

I suppose so. I did find 16GB for that model for $419, which I suppose is pretty good, though.