Users report file syncing issues with Apple's iCloud & iOS 5

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The Documents & Data syncing feature of Apple's new iCloud service has proven problematic for some users, who say that their files were unexpectedly deleted.

Some readers have reached out to AppleInsider to share their issues experienced with the newly launched iCloud and iOS 5. In addition, users have turned to Apple's official Support Communities website (1, 2) in an effort to address the problems.

"I think Apple is having some teething issues with iCloud and syncing," one reader wrote in an e-mail. "Documents created on one device, be it in Pages or Keynote, are there for awhile, and then when you go back, you can literally see iCloud delete them in front of you."

They said they haven't determined exactly what causes the documents to disappear, but noted that their iCloud account was migrated over from Apple's previous MobileMe service.

Attempts to fix included turning off iCloud, rebooting devices and re-signing in, but the problems have persisted randomly.

Another person experiencing similar issues wrote in to say that they have also had no luck in addressing syncing issues with iOS 5 and iCloud. They said they have tried to restore their iOS device, and also attempted to disable syncing for certain types of data, but none of those attempts work.

This person said the device will stall on the last step of syncing, simply displaying a message that says something along the lines of "waiting for items to copy" or "waiting for changes to be applied."

While the launch of iCloud last week was generally well received, it has not been without issues. In addition to the syncing struggles, some users have encountered problems in the transition from MobileMe, mostly related to the inability to merge multiple Apple IDs into one account.

iCloud is a free service available to all users of iOS 5 for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, as well as Mac users running OS X 10.7 Lion, the latest operating system. iCloud backs up personal data, including documents, contacts, calendars and e-mails, to Apple's remote servers in the cloud, and syncs that data across all of a user's devices.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Never had iCloud docs disappear, but I did have problems with wi-fi sync not backing up properly and getting stuck. A reboot was able to fix it, but I was scared when I plugged it in with a cable after failed wifi sync and it said sync is not possible because "disk is not found".

Had this issue during beta period too, though back then reboot did not fix the issue and I had to restore.
  • Reply 2 of 39
    I upgraded to iCloud the first day and haven't had any problems with it at all. Syncing documents has worked flawlessly and the same can be said about Photo Stream.
  • Reply 3 of 39
    I haven't had any issues with Documents, but my Bookmarks haven't synced at all (between iPhone, MacBook Air, and iMac) since upgrading to iCloud.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    Safari Bookmarks disappeared
  • Reply 5 of 39
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Backing up the phone to the cloud has yet to work for me.

I have 55GB of space and 43 GB free so this shouldn't be an issue. I plug my phone in every night and it has a wifi connection.

I get the "Incomplete" message but no matter if I start it manually or not it never happens.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    iCloud was not ready for prime time. plain and simple.

works for some, fails for most.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

Not sure how you think you can say that.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Took me a couple days to finally get my MM account converted to iCloud from the me.com/move site. On Monday that went smoothly. Had to remove a bunch of duplicate contacts/groups from Address Book which I didn't notice until after the iCloud transition. So far wireless syncing and Backup to iCloud are working fine. Find My iPhone works and no duplicates in iCal.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    I did experience a problem with iWork documents syncing. For some reason they did not sync and get stock at downloading. The solution was to disable doc syncing on all devices, delete all my documents from iCloud and iDevices, delete iWork from all iDevices, upload the docs to iCloud.com, then reinstall iWork and enable doc syncing.

My guess is that these problems were the result of using iCloud and iWork while on beta.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    The issue has to do with how you log in. I have been a long time user of first .mac then MobileMe. Somewhere along the line I ended up with both @mac.com and @me.com. Until now I have found that they were interchangeable but with iCloud it seems to make a difference. I have always used @mac.com but I had the issue of files disappearing in front of my eyes when I logged in with @mac.com, but not with @me.com. Also, when you log into iCloud.com with @mac.com you get the advertising page when you go to the iWork tab, leaving you with no way to upload documents (contacts and calendars are fine) but if you log in with @me.com, all goes smoothly.

Go figure
  • Reply 11 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not sure how you think you can say that.

the same way i say this....
  • Reply 12 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

I haven't had any issues with Documents, but my Bookmarks haven't synced at all (between iPhone, MacBook Air, and iMac) since upgrading to iCloud.

You know the settings have been moved from MobileMe preferences to either the iCloud Preferences or the "Mail Contacts & Calendars" preferences right?
  • Reply 13 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobbyv33 View Post

T... when you log into iCloud.com with @mac.com you get the advertising page when you go to the iWork tab, leaving you with no way to upload documents (contacts and calendars are fine) but if you log in with @me.com, all goes smoothly. ...

I can confirm that this part is not true, at least for me. I have never used an @me.com address but I don't see ads.

I did have documents there synced from my iPad before I ever logged in with the computer though, so perhaps that makes a difference. Maybe making a document on an iOS device and syncing with the cloud would get you in. Then you could access from the computer later.

For the record, I've only had a tiny bit of duplicated folders in my Bookmarks so far and that's the only problems I've seen. I haven't synced documents with my computers yet though, just the iOS devices.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

When you have 25 millions use a service within 24 hours you will have some issues. It seems only few experienced issues and those are usually people who used MobileMe.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    Quote:

the same way i say this....

I mean since it isn't based in any sort of reality or fact, is all.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    Clearly pointed at "devices" as all documentation uses that word, but still doesn't take into account users with desktop Macs...no sync, at least, no easy, magical, every edit, everywhere, every time sync between the desktop and iCloud.

Personally haven't had any problems syncing because I only have one "device", and the only things that sync are contacts and iCal. But to get docs/data from my Mac to my iPad, I'm still using Dropbox.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    iCloud is useless for synching documents on multiple devices without the ability to create a file heirarchy. I had to sign up for dropbox so I could retain the document filing system I had on my iDisk. This was not thought through at all. I can't believe Apple did such a half-arse job with this.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    My move from MobileMe to iCloud was less than seamless. iPod Touch user here.

Three things I noticed:

1) When I update an app, it sometimes asks for an old user ID/email that I know I updated ages ago.

2) It takes F O R E V E R to update an app, like, an hour. Not kidding.

3) My partner lost all his data after the move to iCloud and had to start over. He has an iPod Touch too.

Not impressed.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    I'm a mobileme user and ended up with duplicate contacts and a plethora of old bookmarks. Ended up turning icloud off of everything and then back on one at a time. Both seem good to go now.

I have to say though that I'm not nearly as happy w/iCloud thus far as I was w/mobileme due to the lack of features. I regularly use iDisk, Mail Rules, web gallery, and bookmarks and all but the latter will be gone in June. I hope Apple considers keeping them on even if it's for a fee.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I mean since it isn't based in any sort of reality or fact, is all.

seems like lots of people agree with me.....

on the other hand though, iTunes Match works perfectly.... I am definitely loving that feature.