Steve Jobs worked on Apple's 'next product' the day before he died

Comments

• Reply 21 of 82
    Even at one's deathbed, a lifelong passion or consuming interest may make a person want to share one more thing with someone who can appreciate and do something about it. Pretty story or no, I don't doubt Steve would make the effort.
  • Reply 22 of 82
    This is what passion means. And this is what most leaders lack.

People who tut-tut condescendingly about "gee, he should have spent more time with his family" will never understand.

It's just a different frame of reference.
  • Reply 23 of 82
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CityGuide View Post

Even at one's deathbed, a lifelong passion or consuming interest may make a person want to share one more thing with someone who can appreciate and do something about it. Pretty story or no, I don't doubt Steve would make the effort.

Anyone who thinks that a person with a life-long driving passion won't be thinking of it until his last breath only needs to look at Jefferson's last words.

That said, I think the speculation here (however unprovable) that it was a polite exit, meant to not disclose a critical private condition to a business partner, is probably likely.
  • Reply 24 of 82
    That is dedication.
  • Reply 25 of 82
    I'm guessing, unlike most of you here, I've been with many many people during the last week of their lives. (Part of my job.) The truth is, no two people die the same way. I remember a nurse/professor who worked on a nursing textbook right up until her last hour or so. Dictated the last part to her daughter as the whole family gathered in her room. It does no dishonor to Steve Jobs and his love for his family to think of him working on his last day.

And, anyone who thinks the next iPhone isn't at least 70% ready has no idea how Apple works.
  • Reply 26 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

Likewise, anyone who has had a loved one die of cancer knows that it is extremely unlikely the patient will be placing calls during the last couple of days.

We don't know the exact circumstances though. Maybe he took things into his own hands. That would be the kind of thing he would do IMO.

Most of us would like a little control over our own deaths when it comes down to it, and he didn't have any kind of silly religious edict holding him back. Personally, it makes me feel good to think he might have done this.
  • Reply 27 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Taylormade View Post

Could have spent the time with his family...

That wasn't how he lived.

How would he know when to end his work efforts with Apple and spend every hour of each day with his family? I'm not certain, but I don't think it is possible to know days or even hours in advance of exactly when you will die from your illness.

Should he have stopped working in January? August? The last week in September?

At each of those respective times, I don't think he knew when the end would come, how much time he had left.

If he stopped in January, he would have died in February.

No, he ran through the end of the race; lunge at the finish line, don't pull up short.

As it was, in his last days and months, he worked from home.

I never met the man, but I think he lived each moment fully.

It was reported that his family was with him when he passed.

So he did spend his last moments with his family.

I think they understood the way he lived.
  • Reply 28 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

True. I can imagine my own last words being "My only regret is not being able to play with Apple's next product."

Or maybe that next product is putting Steve's mind in iCloud. The first in the Technological Singularity.

What do you think Siri is?
  • Reply 29 of 82
    "Come... closer... there... is... another...product..."

Sorry, I couldn't help the Yoda reference, don't get me wrong. Love Apple and Love Steve. RIP, still miss you.
  • Reply 30 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Is it me or is saying Steve (or someone calling on Steve's behalf) needed to speak to Cook about an important work related simply a more common response than saying Steve is on his very ill, in the hospital, or on his deathbed. Maybe I'm cynical but I think Cook just gave Son the easy answer to get off the phone to deal with a personal matter.

My thoughts exactly.
  • Reply 31 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDDave View Post

That wasn't how he lived.

No, he ran through the end of the race; lunge at the finish line, don't pull up short.

Beautifully put.
  • Reply 32 of 82
    Work Ethic.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NotRs View Post

You don't see it much.

I agree - it is a forgotten thing. After reading this no one should complain about work. This is clearly dedication in action.
  • Reply 33 of 82
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

No way. Steve spent his last days in the bosom of is family. That has always been the most important thing in the world to him.

Well..... maybe, maybe not. A lot of people neglect 'the ones they truly love' until its too late. I am not saying STeve Jobs did this but lets keep to what we know. Steve is Apple, Apple is Steve. Our admiration and if you like, love, should stay within this realm. Lets not elevate him to a poster husband or father or family man. Its a bit distasteful, and very unfair.
  • Reply 34 of 82
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 35 of 82
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akf2000 View Post

What do you think Siri is?

I know that Siri is a fairly common Scandinavian name
  • Reply 36 of 82
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    Reading this article really made me feel sad again.

What pure brilliance Steve Jobs had, up until the very end even though his human body could no longer carry on forward, his mind refused to let go and give up. The level of dedication really inspires me to work harder everyday, not to give up and keep pushing forward.

RIP Steve you Legend!
  • Reply 37 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Taylormade View Post

Could have spent the time with his family...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kerryn View Post

I agree with this.

Let's see... you can spend your last days doing what you love AND spending time with your family. By doing what you love, you're not contemplating that these are your last days. So you're busy living, not dying. Clearly you disagree with this premise. I say: piss off.
  • Reply 38 of 82
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 39 of 82
    i recall he did say in an interview that he'll milk it as much as he could.

(pardon me if i took it out of context.)
  • Reply 40 of 82
    aknabiaknabi Posts: 211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dangcookie View Post

Let's see... you can spend your last days doing what you love AND spending time with your family. By doing what you love, you're not contemplating that these are your last days. So you're busy living, not dying. Clearly you disagree with this premise. I say: piss off.

What a douche-bag... congrats and piss off yourself