Steve Jobs worked on Apple's 'next product' the day before he died

Comments

• Reply 41 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Taylormade View Post

Could have spent the time with his family...

Agreed. Granted, if he didn't know he was dying (like his death this sudden was a surprise) I respect his tenacity and pushing out the great products we know and love.

If was aware that his time left was very short, spending time on the iPhone 4S instead of with his family is absolutely inexcusable.
  • Reply 42 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

Likewise, anyone who has had a loved one die of cancer knows that it is extremely unlikely the patient will be placing calls during the last couple of days.

I work on a Cancer ward were a patient with Pancreatic Cancer was on the Care of the Dying Pathway. I was having a normal lucid conversation with him one day, then 3 days later after my days off I came back to work were he was unconscious and in the end stage of life. He passed away 2 days later.

So in the space of 5 days he went from having all of his faculties to passing away, he was in his 40's.

There's a possibility that Steve Jobs may have been actively engaged in working especially if he chose not to take any powerful pain killers. Some people choose not to take pain killers even when in excruciating pain because they want to be 'with it', mindful of their thoughts and self aware before succumbing to the inevitable.

I find these type of people have a very powerful sense of self and have the ability to function well in the periods were they are relatively pain free and quite close to death. Steve Jobs I would surmise was this type of person.
  • Reply 43 of 82
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    The people who are being condescending about not spending all his time with his family at the end are ignorant.

First off, it's impossible for one to know exactly when they are going to die. Second, it's obvious that Steve had great passion for his work, and to deny one the ability to do what they love is pretty much a death sentence.

I have no doubt that him and his family had already come to terms with the way he chose to live his life a long time ago.

If you truly believe there is only one right way to live your life, and feel the need to bestow judgement and guilt on others who choose differently, then go join a cult or something.
  • Reply 44 of 82
    It's profoundly depressing that people would seek to argue or be abusive to each other over what did or didn't happen in the last days of an amazing man's life.

I'm not sure about much in life, but of this I'm certain: Steve Jobs would not have been impressed with this sort of behaviour.
  • Reply 45 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LogicNReason View Post

Agreed. Granted, if he didn't know he was dying (like his death this sudden was a surprise) I respect his tenacity and pushing out the great products we know and love.

If was aware that his time left was very short, spending time on the iPhone 4S instead of with his family is absolutely inexcusable.

i cannot put myself in the same reference, but i live and love to work, and i work to love and live. My own dedication, pulling all nighters, missing parts of a vacation, have all been made up in being on other vacations, getting out of work as i wish to see my kids soccer, or whatever -

inexcusable? - thats cos you never walked in his shoes
  • Reply 46 of 82
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 47 of 82
    I tend to think it was a good-bye call.

• Reply 48 of 82
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    A simple question. What makes people feel entitled to volunteer their opinions on how another person should be spending the last days of his or her life? How incredibly rude, intrusive, insensitive and disrespectful.
  • Reply 49 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I agree with you, and to be honest, I hope that was the case.

Much as I admire Steve Jobs for his incredible achievements, and part of me wouldn't be that shocked if he was working right up until the end, I sincerely hope that the day before he died he was able to spend it talking with his family about good times they have shared.

I hope that's what I'm doing in my last days.....

who are in his family? what he was doing is to spend the his last minute with his family.
  • Reply 50 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Is it me or is saying Steve (or someone calling on Steve's behalf) needed to speak to Cook about an important work related simply a more common response than saying Steve is on his very ill, in the hospital, or on his deathbed. Maybe I'm cynical but I think Cook just gave Son the easy answer to get off the phone to deal with a personal matter.

Or maybe he really did have to talk to Cook about something work related. The man was suffering from pain, not dementia. He could have been working on all kinds of design ideas etc and he had something he wanted to ask Tim. No tin hat needed
  • Reply 51 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Taylormade View Post

Could have spent the time with his family...

Maybe working on designs etc was something that took his mind off the pain and his family was thrilled he could still work on things. Maybe they were just happy to be in the same room with him, helping him by doing any typing or recording him talking out loud about whatever popped in his head. Maybe unlike you, they didn't need to be spreading the time weeping and moaning and playing 'remember when' games.

Or maybe the whole work thing was a front and it was Steve's wife calling to let Tim know that perhaps he should call the local police to let them know that arrangement was very possible going to be needed soon, real soon.

Who knows, but who are we to judge people we don't know simply because of half assed details on a mostly rumor blog
  • Reply 52 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guava View Post

So the speculation about the next iPhone has already started.

Started with the talk about this phone. A lot of folks believed the whole teardrop was actually the 2012 phone from the first whisper
  • Reply 53 of 82
    Steve was a buddist so maybe he is aggregating his consciousness somewhere for a reappearance in another form.

I'd like to think that he will be reborn as a third level mind as in EE Doc Smith's Lensman series.

Or maybe he'll be the fly on the wall or the worm in the apple or the glint in your eyes.
  • Reply 54 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

A simple question. What makes people feel entitled to volunteer their opinions on how another person should be spending the last days of his or her life? How incredibly rude, intrusive, insensitive and disrespectful.

Very true, especially considering the fact that those making these judgements are completely ignorant of the details of this very private person's life in general, let alone his last hours. Gotta say though, to display this type of arrogant insensitivity based on abject ignorance does take guts.
  • Reply 55 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

True. I can imagine my own last words being "My only regret is not being able to play with Apple's next product."

Or maybe that next product is putting Steve's mind in iCloud. The first in the Technological Singularity. Steve is iCloud. Steve's Intellect Resides Inside. Seriously though, I'm gonna miss Steve's effort at Apple but at least I know his direct efforts will live on with Apple for a very long time to come. When you create something wonderful can you ever truly be gone?

Or rename Siri, Steve.
  • Reply 56 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Or rename Siri, Steve.

I would imagine that, by pulling from publicly available audio files (such as the quarterly earnings calls) and video files (keynotes, both pre- and post-firing) ALONE, there would be enough phonemes to create a Steve Jobs speech-to-text system.

Whether or not doing so is creepy being put aside, it seems completely plausible that a Steve-voiced Siri could be designed.
  • Reply 57 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Or rename Siri, Steve.

I honestly feel that would be a diss-service to his character and legacy, to have him be people personal assistant and answer stupid questions.
  • Reply 58 of 82
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I would imagine that, by pulling from publicly available audio files (such as the quarterly earnings calls) and video files (keynotes, both pre- and post-firing) ALONE, there would be enough phonemes to create a Steve Jobs speech-to-text system.

Whether or not doing so is creepy being put aside, it seems completely plausible that a Steve-voiced Siri could be designed.

I'd say so... very
  • Reply 59 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

I honestly feel that would be a diss-service to his character and legacy, to have him be people personal assistant and answer stupid questions.

What if they were all one sentence answers, curt and simple?

"Yes."

"Stay tuned."

"At this point, we think the chips we use in the MacBook Pro are fine."

"Not really."

"Sorry, no."

"Nope."
  • Reply 60 of 82
    You can have my dreams, my passion, and my drive when you can pry them...