Apple stores close briefly as thousands watch Steve Jobs tribute

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Thousands of employees gathered at Apple's corporate campus in California for a tribute to the late Steve Jobs, while even more retail employees watched a live stream of the event as their stores closed [updated photos].

Stores were covered with white sheets on Wednesday to keep the event secret. Inside, employees watched a live feed of an event at an outdoor amphitheater in Cupertino, Calif., celebrating the life of Jobs.

The event runs from 10 a.m. Pacific to 11:30 a.m. As it got underway, footage from a news helicopter shown on CNBC revealed thousands of people participating in the event.

From above, it could be seen that giant banners showing the face of Jobs were prominently displayed at the event. One AppleInsider reader sent word that Coldplay and Norah Jones also performed.

Only employees were allowed to attend the event live in California at 1 Infinite Loop. Security at the company's corporate headquarters reportedly asked reporters not to approach Apple employees coming to or leaving the campus.

Because of the large number of employees attending the event, Apple recruited sheriff's deputies to help direct traffic.

Earlier Wednesday, Apple published a new section on its website called "Remembering Steve." It features some of the more than one million messages sent in by those mourning the loss of the Apple co-founder.

While Wednesday's tribute is for employees at Apple, a memorial featuring friends, family and colleagues was held on Sunday, featuring people such as Google CEO Larry Page, former U.S. President Bill Clinton, actor Tim Allen, and a performance by U2 lead singer Bono.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    i hope they make it public at some point. I would like to see it.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

i hope they make it public at some point. I would like to see it.

Ditto. It would be nice to share in it. Perhaps it could be put on iTunes.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Ditto. It would be nice to share in it. Perhaps it could be put on iTunes.

http://www.apple.com/apple-events/ ?
  • Reply 4 of 24
    The photo of the tv set is lacking.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    I'd sure be pissed if I were there and helicopters (from TV news) were hovering around. Even if they weren't directly overhead, the noise is obnoxious.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    For those of you who are interested, I made a little web app that downloads all of the condolences off Apple's servers. I made it for myself since I'm interested in what these messages say, but won't be reading more than a few a day...I wanted something that would save them in case apple took them down. I'll make the link available to anyone who wants to use it:

http://www.jpschroeder.com/stevejobs
  • Reply 7 of 24
    I think it's a wonderful gesture for the company to go to such lengths to honor its founder and leader. In reflection after reading events just prior to his death, I wonder if Steve Jobs would actually be upset with the ceremonies conducted by his beloved Apple. As late as the day before his death, Steve worked diligently on yet another product with death being more of an interruption in his schedule. I wonder if it wouldn't have been more to his liking to have done something more akin to his work ethic and not close stores and bring the whole Apple machine to a stop. It's all something to ponder.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by man4mac View Post

For those of you who are interested, I made a little web app that downloads all of the condolences off Apple's servers. I made it for myself since I'm interested in what these messages say, but won't be reading more than a few a day...I wanted something that would save them in case apple took them down. I'll make the link available to anyone who wants to use it:

Um... You're going to get a copyright infringement notification from Apple. You know that, right?
  • Reply 9 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Um... You're going to get a copyright infringement notification from Apple. You know that, right?

Yeah, apple's really cracking down on nice things people said about steve jobs...
  • Reply 10 of 24
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member
    For those wanting a video, the main article has been updated and now includes a CNET overhead view.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Unless there is some hidden fine print saying that by emailing the remember steve you are granting Apple copyright, the copyright will be with the writer (sender) of the email, like all intellectual property.

Implicitly I suppose the writers's are granting permission for reproduction by Apple, and technically that could make his posting them an infringement, but Apple would not have the recourse to remove it; only the authors's would.

Unless of course, as I intimated, there is some hidden legalese somewhere granting copyright to Apple.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Woz/Apple/Larry Ellison should produce a Tribute concert for Steve Jobs

Bob Dylan

Paul McCartney

U2

Cold Play

etc.

CMON LETS MAKE THIS HAPPEN!
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

Unless there is some hidden fine print saying that by emailing the remember steve you are granting Apple copyright, the copyright will be with the writer (sender) of the email, like all intellectual property.

Implicitly I suppose the writers's are granting permission for reproduction by Apple, and technically that could make his posting them an infringement, but Apple would not have the recourse to remove it; only the authors's would.

Unless of course, as I intimated, there is some hidden legalese somewhere granting copyright to Apple.

The first thing that was shown after clicking on the link was that now famous photo of Steve that is copyrighted property of Apple, Inc.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    I think it's time to move on. Enough. I was/am as deeply affected as anyone else, but time to let it go.

I have no doubt that Steve himself would have been very uneasy with all this mourning and valorizing that's going on. Says more about us than it does about him.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tingri View Post

I think it's a wonderful gesture for the company to go to such lengths to honor its founder and leader. In reflection after reading events just prior to his death, I wonder if Steve Jobs would actually be upset with the ceremonies conducted by his beloved Apple. As late as the day before his death, Steve worked diligently on yet another product with death being more of an interruption in his schedule. I wonder if it wouldn't have been more to his liking to have done something more akin to his work ethic and not close stores and bring the whole Apple machine to a stop. It's all something to ponder.

Wow. You talk as if Apple decided to close up shop after he died, or give all their employees a one month vacation. It's a couple hours of a single day, to give Apple employees all over the world a chance to watch the memorial. It's human. It's a fantastic gesture. It has nothing to do with work ethic/laziness/etc. This over-analyzing of what Steve would and wouldn't have wonder in terms of reactions to this death is absolutely ridiculous. It's an experience all these people will remember for the rest of their lives. I can't see how that contradicts any kind of work ethic, nor how SJ would have a problem with it. So no, it's not 'something to ponder'. It's concern trolling for nothing.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    slapppyslapppy Posts: 331member
    Wow, I still get choked up seeing this stuff.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Regrettably, I have taken down the service (http://www.jpschroeder.com/stevejobs) that allows you to download all the nice condolence comments to steve jobs. Partly because the despite my best intentions, and the fact that I'm sure apple has no problem with it, the legality could be argued by some (prudish as they may be). Partly because the server is crawling with the thousands of simultaneous downloads from high demand. Those currently downloading will not be affected.

If you have questions or are still interested in getting those comments, please send me an email at the address that is now posted on the website.

• Reply 18 of 24
    I'm curious if Steve Jobs ever did the toolman grunt of Tim Allen, I wonder what their story together was.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CookiePuss View Post

The photo of the tv set is lacking.

That's a Mac in Steve's lap not a TV
  • Reply 20 of 24
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    Steve Jobs is a world man, not just Apple's. This tribute should have been live on the web, so we can all mourn and celebrate the life of this great man.

I hope they release this on Apple website for everyone to see.