Samsung's new Galaxy Nexus designed to bypass Apple patents

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Given Samsung's series of patent infringement lawsuits with Apple, the company's new flagship Galaxy Nexus handset has reportedly been designed specifically to avoid potentially infringing on iPhone-related patents.

Samsung mobile president Shin Jong-kyun revealed his company's approach when speaking with reporters this week following the unveiling of the Galaxy Nexus, according to Yonhap News Agency. He said Samsung will "avoid everything and take patents very seriously."

He went on to say that though Samsung took great pains to avoid any potential patent infringement with the Google Nexus, he could not be certain that the phone will be "100 percent free" of lawsuits from Apple.

Samsung and Apple are engaged in a series of patent infringement lawsuits around the world. Shin said he believes the legal battle is only starting, and he expects it to continue for a "considerable" amount of time.

"I don't think there is much gain (from lawsuits against Apple)," he reportedly said. "What we are losing is the pride in our brand."

Google and Samsung held an event on Tuesday to show off the new Galaxy Nexus smartphone running Android 4.0, dubbed "Ice Cream Sandwich." The phone sports a contoured 4.65-inch Super HD AMOLED display with a resolution of 1,280 by 720 pixels, and is powered by a 1.2GHz dual-core processor.

The phone was originally set to be unveiled last week, but Google and Samsung delayed the event, saying they did so out of respect for the death of Apple co-founder Steve Jobs. The Nexus S will launch in the U.S., Europe and Asia in November.

Samsung recently filed a series of lawsuits across the globe accusing Apple of patent infringement and attempting to bar sales of the company's newly launched iPhone 4S. So far, Samsung has not successfully managed to ban sales of any Apple devices, while courts in Germany and Australia have sided with Apple and barred sales of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 116
    linkgx1linkgx1 Posts: 742member
    Snap.Crackle.Pop.
  • Reply 2 of 116
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Samsung, that's how it should be from the beginning.
  • Reply 3 of 116
    linkgx1linkgx1 Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Samsung, that's how it should be from the beginning.

Yeah, and now we get better designed phones. Thinking on your feet breeds innovation.
  • Reply 4 of 116
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    This could be considered an admission of guilt.
  • Reply 5 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"I don't think there is much gain (from lawsuits against Apple)," he reportedly said. "What we are losing is the pride in our brand."

I think they lost that when they decided to start aping Apple's stuff. Then again, Samsung are hardly the only OEM getting sued by Apple at the moment.

Copying aside their new phone looks really good, although it's too far big for my liking.
  • Reply 6 of 116
    He doesn't know if his new phone will be 100% free of Apple's intel prop?

Are you serious?
  • Reply 7 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I was thinking the same thing.
  • Reply 8 of 116
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:

Being vulnerable isn't the same as being guilty.
  • Reply 9 of 116
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

No, what you are **gaining** by not copying is pride in your brand.

Samsung is a multi-billion dollar global company, they should have dropped the blatant and shameless copying act long ago. Leave that to no-name Chinese fly-by-night factories.
  • Reply 10 of 116
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:

That's exactly how I read into it. The interview articles I'm reading on other news sites seem to indicate Samsung knowingly disregarded Apple's patents and figured it could just ride on Apple's back until they get momentum to do their own thing and simply write off the court battles as the cost of doing business.

I think Samsung did a very good job of damaging their brand all on their own. I certainly go out of my way to avoid directly purchasing anything from Samsung. If I could buy my iPhone with a CPU not made by Samsung, I certainly would.
  • Reply 11 of 116
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Quote:

Wow. You bet. They don't listen to their lawyers, who would have told them to keep their mouths shut, and just release the phone - let others make comments about Samsung (supposedly) bypassing Apple's patents.

I can just see the judge getting handed exhibit A (if it really exists, of course) - written comments from Samsung's management on "taking patents seriously from now on".

Love to see the judge's response on continuing patent cases before the bench.
  • Reply 12 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

He doesn't know if his new phone will be 100% free of Apple's intel prop?

Are you serious?

To be fair, its really hard to know if you are infringing on something or not.

OTOH, in the past, at least, Samsung has been quite blatant and deliberate. And the CEOs words seem to emphasize that fact.
  • Reply 13 of 116
    Samsung didn't admit anything they did in the past. People here are trying too hard to read between the lines and trying to imply things this guy didn't say.

While I do think they tried very hard to copy Apple's idea, just these words won't cost them anything.
  • Reply 14 of 116
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Samsung would make their brand look better by ditching the bug-haven mess known as the Android "It Just Doesn't Work" OS.
  • Reply 15 of 116
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Apple should start digging and tearing down the phone. If any patents of Apple's are violated in any way, either hardware or software, then Apple should immediately sue Samsung. Samsung is suing Apple because of the iPhone 4S, and Apple should return the favor. That seems fair.
  • Reply 16 of 116
    Yep, Samasung went out of their way trying not to copy the iPhone. probably why the facial recognition and another feature failed at the event. Not to mention the materials look cheap and plasticky!

Jury is still out on ICS.
  • Reply 17 of 116
    Wasn't the multi-touch interface one of the patents? Did they create their own way of doing multi-touch?
  • Reply 18 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

Yeah, and now we get better designed phones. Thinking on your feet breeds innovation.

Ironic. You never hear Fandroids say "Samsung/Google need competition from Apple to innovative." Mostly because they like to believe that Apple isn't competitive.
  • Reply 19 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

Wasn't the multi-touch interface one of the patents? Did they create their own way of doing multi-touch?

not in full...at least not everywhere.
  • Reply 20 of 116
    Quote:

Not any more than saying, "I won't beat my second wife."