Users report file syncing issues with Apple's iCloud & iOS 5

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

seems like lots of people agree with me.....

on the other hand though, iTunes Match works perfectly.... I am definitely loving that feature.

Great to hear, can't wait for it!
  • Reply 22 of 39
    Not working for me.

1. Some contacts lost.

2. Calendars duplicated.

3. Back To My Mac COMPLETELY fails.

4. Some documents vanished right before my eyes.

5. Too many long pauses with a dialog box that says "Saving" when working on a 120-page document in Pages bc of the Autosaving to the cloud. Makes working with this document impossible.

Dropbox and Google Sync worked just fine for me pre-OS X 10.7.2./iOS 5; I think I'm going back to them. Steve Jobs would be raising hell right now at One Infinite Loop were he still here (same way he did when MobileMe sucked at first too).
  • Reply 23 of 39
    Quote:

iCloud was not ready for prime time. plain and simple.

works for some, fails for most.

Apple fan boys plug your ears... Belonged to Mobile Me for years & finally stopped it because of the numerous duplications of addresses & the same for calendar events... Mobile Me was a sheer disaster... Apple said iCloud "just works" Frankly my first few days iCloud have been far worst than Mobile Me... Yes, I have been to the Genius Bar... They are amazed, only solution, get out of iCloud... For which I did... Addresses would double and triple, plus corrupt many of them... Plus somehow it went to Mobile Me and picked up addresses I had deleted long ago... Calendar was worst... I had 6 calendars and it automatically created 23 calendars... I would clear out the duplicates (takes many hours) & everything would look great... I would go to bed & wake up to find out that while I was sleeping iCloud was multiply my addresses & calendars like rabbits again... Deleted them all, next day same thing... Also Mobile Me which I had turned off months ago had been turned on as well creating additional issues....

iCloud is still beta... We are the unwitting testers....

I put iCloud on my iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPad, Mac Air & iMac

Going back to Drop Box, it "just works"
  • Reply 24 of 39
    I have only had a couple of issues. My calendars won't push to all my devices (iPhone, Mac, and iPad) without me opening Calendar/iCal. My wife's email won't push. She is having to open and manually fetch it. We both have all settings related to push turned on.

On a side note, I wish documents in the cloud would integrate directly into the desktop version of iWork. I would love to just be able to work with a file, close it, and have it immediately available on all my devices.
  • Reply 25 of 39
    Quote:

Based on casual observation, i think it would be more accurate to say, "Works for most, fails for some."
  • Reply 26 of 39
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1985User View Post

iCloud is useless for synching documents on multiple devices without the ability to create a file heirarchy. I had to sign up for dropbox so I could retain the document filing system I had on my iDisk. This was not thought through at all. I can't believe Apple did such a half-arse job with this.

Having both I can't imagine moving any "need it to be clear and right" archives from dropbox over to iCloud. Teething pains notwithstanding, there's kind of useful and there's very useful. Right now iCloud is just a novelty for me, and until it's closer to confident I won't do anything critical with it.

Dropbox is a no-brainer for me. The fact that it doesn't care what I'm backing up from is important. I don't care if my audio collection is OSX centric, but my entire life isn't. I know that iCLoud's actual hosting is done on Windows (on Amazon servers) and that it is NOT limited to OSX, but Dropbox is so much easier and transparent when I use it in a slew of different environments.

I'm in agreement that it feels like a half-baked launch. Maybe I can be shown how it isn't so bad, but if I couldn't come to that conclusion putzing around with it for an evening myself I think that's all I need to go by.
  • Reply 27 of 39
    pik80pik80 Posts: 148member
    But I have had a world of problems with iOS 5 and iTunes 10.5. iOS 5 was deleting my files before I even signed up for iCloud.
  • Reply 28 of 39
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IlikeAppel View Post

3. Back To My Mac COMPLETELY fails.

That is the one feature I use all the time and now it is broken since I didn't upgrade 2 of my macs to Lion. At least that is what I am guessing the problem is. I wish there was a move back to mobile Me option.

EDIT: I did discover how to re-enable this feature. When I updated my iPad to iOS 5 i was prompted to establish an AppleID. I used my existing .mac address. Afterwards, the Back to my Mac quit working on the 2 SL machines I use Back to My Mac on. I went home for lunch and logged out of the MobileMe and then re-logged in. After returning to work I did the same thing there and the service suddenly became available again.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hawkpride147 View Post

I have only had a couple of issues. My calendars won't push to all my devices (iPhone, Mac, and iPad) without me opening Calendar/iCal. My wife's email won't push. She is having to open and manually fetch it. We both have all settings related to push turned on.

On a side note, I wish documents in the cloud would integrate directly into the desktop version of iWork. I would love to just be able to work with a file, close it, and have it immediately available on all my devices.

This is my main issue with iCloud and iWork for Mac. I was under the impression that iCloud will also be part of iWork desktop. However, I have a feeling that Apple is saving this for the next iWork for Mac update.

I wish Apple make it possible to link to files in their original folder instead of placing them in an iTunes/iPhoto type containers, which works for music and photo perfectly but not documents. My documents are already arranged in folders within each project folder.
  • Reply 30 of 39
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I wish Apple make it possible to link to files in their original folder instead of placing them in an iTunes/iPhoto type containers, which works for music and photo perfectly but not documents. My documents are already arranged in folders within each project folder.

No they're not. We'll tell you how to arrange them.

Just kidding. Yes, unless someone can point out to me the switch you can flip, how could I possibly use a system that doesn't let me view my documents exactly as I already organized them?
  • Reply 31 of 39
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

That is the one feature I use all the time and now it is broken since I didn't upgrade 2 of my macs to Lion. At least that is what I am guessing the problem is. I wish there was a move back to mobile Me option.

EDIT: I did discover how to re-enable this feature. When I updated my iPad to iOS 5 i was prompted to establish an AppleID. I used my existing .mac address. Afterwards, the Back to my Mac quit working on the 2 SL machines I use Back to My Mac on. I went home for lunch and logged out of the MobileMe and then re-logged in. After returning to work I did the same thing there and the service suddenly became available again.

According to Apple, you can't mix MobileMe and iCloud with Back To My Mac. It's like they exist in separate worlds. I can't remember the exact page in their support documents, but this was a hot topic in the Apple Discussion Forums.

MY issue, besides the above issue, is I'm noticing if I change a contact's picture on my iPhone the change won't push to the cloud and neither will any subsequent changes. If I make a change on iCloud.com or on my mac, then those changes will push to my phone and even overwrite changes I made on my phone. If I only make text changes to the contact on my phone then there is no problem.
  • Reply 32 of 39
    I had to upload my Pages and Numbers documents to www.icloud.com and then document sharing worked fine.

Just turning on sharing and saving documents didn't work without uploading.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jabohn View Post

According to Apple, you can't mix MobileMe and iCloud with Back To My Mac. It's like they exist in separate worlds. I can't remember the exact page in their support documents, but this was a hot topic in the Apple Discussion Forums.

Not sure but it is working for me now. Admittedly the only thing I have done regarding iCloud is assign my AppleID during the iOS 5 iPad update. I have not logged into iCloud and the 2 SL computers are seeing each other in Back to My Mac again. I am going to hold off doing any thing else at the moment for fear of losing the Back to My Mac feature as well as iDisk which are really the only things I currently need besides using the email address for some trivial personal communications, not my main email address.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    I lost my bookmarks on my MacBook but not on my iMac (something obviously isn't syncing) and decided to have a look at all my bookmarks by clicking on that little open book icon in the bookmarks bar, and there they were.

It turns out I actually have four different Folders called BookmarkdsBar ... two are empty, one is the bookmark bar I used to have on my MacBook and the other is the one from my iMac. iCloud seems confused as to which is my real BookMarks bar.

I'm going to delete the empty ones and try and get iCloud to only sync the one on my iMac.

Seemingly randon duplication seems to be a major problem with iCloud for many.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hawkpride147 View Post

My wife's email won't push. She is having to open and manually fetch it. We both have all settings related to push turned on.

Push email doesn't work for me either after upgrading both my iPhone and iPad. Switching to Fetch and back to Push doesn't fix it for me.

Other than that, no problems, no duplicates. I did have a single email address (@mac.com) so no experience with the iTunes <> MM email merge.

I do find it a shame that you cannot delete a single photo from iCloud, only remove them all by disabling the photo stream option (by logging into iCloud from my desktop Safari and going to account settings, top right on home page)

For me the photo stream isn't of any benefit: I take pictures, insert my SDHC into the CCK, plug it into my iPad, import just to see them on the larger-than-my-DSLR-screen, but do all 'management' in Aperture when I get home. With photo stream my not so great pics get onto my iPhone and Aperture (yeah you can selectively disable it on your device) which is not what I want.

This Push Email thing is also on Apple Discussions at:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/16452185#16452185

Which I don't dare to try.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

mostly related to the inability to merge multiple Apple IDs into one account.

Which you have never been able to do and although there are claims Apple said they are looking into it, they haven't promised that such an ability will ever occur

That said, there is zero issue with having more than one Apple ID. So those folks that have an old id with some or all of their iTunes AND a mobile me will be just fine
  • Reply 37 of 39
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Backing up the phone to the cloud has yet to work for me.

I have 55GB of space and 43 GB free so this shouldn't be an issue. I plug my phone in every night and it has a wifi connection.

did you buy more space, because your free iCloud is only 5GB and you have 8GB of material to potentially back up, that pair of numbers could be screwing with things. Especially if you have a lot of photos and video in your camera roll because that is included in backups
  • Reply 38 of 39
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    10.7.2 + iOS 5 + iCloud + new iTunes + new iWork apps = a HUGE number of changes all at once. Possibility for problems (which can never hit zero) is all the higher as a result.

There has been mass adoption of these updates, and people with problems are bound to speak up. So I?m still hopeful that these issues are very rare.

But they will be even MORE rare by the time I do these updates I do not want to be an early adopter of all this stuff at once! I?ll wait a week or three. Maybe even wait for the next mini-update. Even if the odds of things going well are very high, I always like to make them higher!
  • Reply 39 of 39
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:

really? please publish your detailed scientific survey results for us... otherwise don't make comments that have no basis in fact.