iTunes Match settings now visible on iOS 5 devices

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

it streams to the i devices over Wifi or 3g.

i have a 4000 song library. all in iTunes Match.

my 16GB iPhone has 0 songs in memory, yet all 4000 show up in iTunes now.

its very cool.

Sweet. Really makes the Classic obsolete -- IF you have an Internet connection available.
  • Reply 22 of 39
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Sweet. Really makes the Classic obsolete -- IF you have an Internet connection available.

well, yes or maybe no....

the fact that the songs are "available" in the cloud means just that... they are available.

here is what i have discovered so far.

1. i matched my library to Apples. (took about 4 hours)

2. where there was a match, the 256k m4a version was available.

3. where no match was found, my version was uploaded. (size was not a factor)

4. when i went to my iPhone, iPad, other macs with the beta running, my complete library was available.

So, as a test, i went to a new mac where nothing in iTunes existed. I "downloaded" my entire library. What was downloaded was 256 m4a files that matched and everything else that did not match. (a mix of mp3's or other formats that did not match)

As for the i devices, in order to listen to a song, technically, you 'download' the track. So...

If it "matched" the file is fairly small with great quality.

If it "did not match", you might be S.O.L. because downloading a 15mb mp3 might take awhile on 3g.
  • Reply 23 of 39
    What is the best method for dealing with libraries that have more than 25,000 songs? Multiple Apple IDs and a 3d party library switcher? Multiple OS X user accounts?

Clearly this would not be to try to sync everything to iOS devices, but just to match songs in the main library in iTunes on a desktop.

And I guess the next question would be whether the newly downloaded matched songs can then be re-integrated with a library exceeding 25,000 songs, or if they are tagged in such a way as to prevent that.
  • Reply 24 of 39
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

it streams to the i devices over Wifi or 3g.

i have a 4000 song library. all in iTunes Match.

my 16GB iPhone has 0 songs in memory, yet all 4000 show up in iTunes now.

its very cool.

That didn't confirm stream or download though. If it stream, once you listen to your songs, your free memory should stay the same. If it's download, it should be less.
  • Reply 25 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

That didn't confirm stream or download though. If it stream, once you listen to your songs, your free memory should stay the same. If it's download, it should be less.

it downloads the ones you click to listen too. if you do not want them in memory anymore, you left to right swipe the title and choose delete.
  • Reply 26 of 39
    Quote:

it downloads the ones you click to listen too. if you do not want them in memory anymore, you left to right swipe the title and choose delete.

thanks for all the responses.

it seems like you can download the songs permanently.

On Apple's website, reading the wording carefully, it says the "music you purchased" or something to that affect.

So....do they mean music you purchased FROM APPLE or does that definition include music you purchased, ripped from cd into iTunes, or even downloaded from say...Amazon?

Apple may mean that music that is in their database as being purchased from APPLE is what you can download, all other music to be streamed?

It still sounds like a great convenience for about $2 a month....
  • Reply 27 of 39
    Quote:

Using Match's streaming capability, is it possible to shuffle songs in ones iCloud music library?
  • Reply 28 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monster free city View Post

What is the best method for dealing with libraries that have more than 25,000 songs? Multiple Apple IDs and a 3d party library switcher? Multiple OS X user accounts?

Clearly this would not be to try to sync everything to iOS devices, but just to match songs in the main library in iTunes on a desktop.

And I guess the next question would be whether the newly downloaded matched songs can then be re-integrated with a library exceeding 25,000 songs, or if they are tagged in such a way as to prevent that.

+1 to this.

I only have 9,000 songs, so I am ok right now.

Rather than multiple IDs, it would be nice to be able to just purchase more capacity...say, $5 more per year for 5,000 songs more.

$25=25000, $30=30000, $35=35000, etc.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by atoms5 View Post

Using Match's streaming capability, is it possible to shuffle songs in ones iCloud music library?

yes. it is the native music player
  • Reply 30 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Katonah View Post

thanks for all the responses.

it seems like you can download the songs permanently.

On Apple's website, reading the wording carefully, it says the "music you purchased" or something to that affect.

So....do they mean music you purchased FROM APPLE or does that definition include music you purchased, ripped from cd into iTunes, or even downloaded from say...Amazon?

Apple may mean that music that is in their database as being purchased from APPLE is what you can download, all other music to be streamed?

It still sounds like a great convenience for about $2 a month....

its is ANY matching music file that you have from wherever you got it from.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    just to expand a bit more...

i take a CD from my collection. rip the CD in MP3 format. tag it and save it...

Now, i import it into my iTunes library.

then i sync to Music Match. If it finds the matching files, its done. If it does not find the matching music files, it uploads your rip..

here is where is gets pretty cool. IF it finds it, meaning Apple has the same music, you can re-download the m4a version of it in 256 bit format.

So, going back to the CD example.

I can do all the steps described above, after it is matched, deleted it from itunes and then download it in m4a format and now it is on my hard drive as m4a and not mp3...
  • Reply 32 of 39
    Quote:

lots of steps

If you HAVE THE CD, why wouldn't you just rip it to ALAC if you want a better quality file?!
  • Reply 33 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If you HAVE THE CD, why wouldn't you just rip it to ALAC if you want a better quality file?!

if i have to explain that to you, Music Match is not for you....
  • Reply 34 of 39
    Quote:

if i have to explain that to you, Music Match is not for you....

Probably not, since I don't consider having worse quality files worth paying for?
  • Reply 35 of 39
    Quote:

Probably not, since I don't consider having worse quality files worth paying for…

so i can assume that you are one of the 3 people in the world who's ear is so highly trained he can detect the difference between a 256 bit audio file and something higher than that....
  • Reply 36 of 39
    Quote:

so i can assume that you are one of the 3 people in the world who's ear is so highly trained he can detect the difference between a 256 bit audio file and something higher than that....

I'm sorry your hearing's fading. Don't project your nonsensical beliefs onto others.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    @ s4mb4

I appreciate all your responses. Convinced me that I will fork over $25 a year to Apple for this feature. I love and loathe you at the same time. Not your fault though...
  • Reply 38 of 39
    Quote:

The rips I have made as ALAC do have better sound than the 256k rips from apple or amazon. They are all but an exact copy of the original CD. When comparing with amazons I have found  rips to be better sounding; and the user experience in iTunes is way better.

The 256k rips from  definitely have very good sound though. There seems to be some EQ processing that enhances the bass or thickness of the tracks. That is not always a desirable effect for me, but I think most people think if the bass is big then its good....meh

Having said that I also have a lot of 192/24 or 96/24 music (many genre) that simply blows all others mentioned here out of the water. I have my iMac set up using "audio midi set up" to play music at 24 bit and then I use songbird or Quicktime to listen to them through good headphones or optical out from iMac to stereo amplifier.

I use XLD or iTunes to rip these files to ALAC for iphone/pod and they sound superior to the original cd's. The clarity and dynamics of the recordings is amazing.
  • Reply 39 of 39
    I'm going to subscribe as well. I will delete all the songs except those I need for work from both my iPod Touch and my iPad. That will leave me room for some videos or something. I found the hard way that it's too much trouble to fill the space up with apps, even though it's greatly improved under iOS 5.