Enterprise users prefer Apple as iPhone, iPad reign over Android

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Newly published data on enterprise device activations show that Apple's iPhone remains the top choice for corporations over Android, while the iPad represents nearly all of enterprise tablet adoption.

The figures, published Thursday by Good Technology, conclude that enterprise users have a "clear preference for Apple products." The iPhone accounted for 61 percent of all enterprise smartphone activations in the third quarter of 2011, retaining the lion's share despite Android's growth to 39 percent of smartphones.

Apple's iPad also showed complete domination of the enterprise tablet market, taking 96 percent of total activations tracked by Good. Android represented just 4 percent of tablet activations for the quarter.

The iPad has seen the greatest growth in the financial services industry. That industry accounted for 46 percent of total iPad activations for the quarter, more than tripling activations in any other industry, according to Good.

In all, iOS devices including the iPhone and iPad accounted for more than 70 percent of device activations tallied by Good in the third quarter of 2011.

Good provides push e-mail, mobile device management and security products for mobile phones. Its figures come from thousands of corporate and government customers.

The data does not include devices by Research in Motion, as they can only use BlackBerry Enterprise Server for corporate e-mail access. Good's figures also do not include Windows Phone 7 devices, though they are expected to be added in the future.

"This quarter, we saw Android smartphones gain in percentage of total activations," said John Herrema, senior vice president of corporate strategy at Good Technology. "This is likely due to consumers holding back purchases of new iPhones in anticipation of Apple's latest release (the iPhone 4S)?as our reports indicate, consumers are setting the agenda for enterprise mobility."

He added: "Looking forward to Q4, 2011, we expect to see the iPhone 4S to be the catalyst for an Apple rally."

Good's data shows Apple products dominating the top 10 devices activated, with the GSM iPhone 4, iPad 2, and Verizon iPhone 4 taking the top three spots. Even the iPhone 3G remains among the top tracked devices, with numbers comparable to the HTC Thunderbolt and Motorola Droid X.

"Even though Apple devices, with their limited SKUs, dominated the top 10 list, the longtail of Android devices built up momentum from the previous quarter, with 4G-capable models like the Sprint EVO 4G and HTC Thunderbolt being especially popular," the report noted.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,007member
    The activation trend line is mildly concerning from an Apple perspective...
  • Reply 2 of 26
    this shows that enterprise adoption of the iOS is shrinking, while Android is growing... the AI headline is borderline misleading.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    Looks like iOS activations held steady even though no new phones were introduced this qtr. Nice. 4th quarter will see an improvement with the 4S.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    I guess that I don't understand why Blackberry is excluded. Is it because they don't use Good's services?
  • Reply 5 of 26
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

this shows that enterprise adoption of the iOS is shrinking, while Android is growing... the AI headline is borderline misleading.

Perhaps you missed this sentence: "This is likely due to consumers holding back purchases of new iPhones in anticipation of Apple's latest release (the iPhone 4S)?as our reports indicate, consumers are setting the agenda for enterprise mobility." .... which would indicate that an entirely new trend will appear after iPhone4s release. ..... This is why one cannot rely on headlines to tell the whole story, no?
  • Reply 6 of 26
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:

Activations and sales have nothing to do with each other. While Android is trouncing iOS on activations, we are free to assume that Apple's sales are nevertheless higher, because activations are NOT the same as sales.

• Reply 7 of 26
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Perhaps you missed this sentence: "This is likely due to consumers holding back purchases of new iPhones in anticipation of Apple's latest release (the iPhone 4S)?as our reports indicate, consumers are setting the agenda for enterprise mobility." .... which would indicate that an entirely new trend will appear after iPhone4s release. ..... This is why one cannot rely on headlines to tell the whole story, no?

Yeah - headlines don't always included wild-assed guesses by the ANALysts - usually they include only the big media's gloss on them.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    The enterprise is still a very Windows-dominated world, for better or for worse. Windows 8 tablets may take a year to come around and when they do, their numbers will surpass iPad and Android tablets combined within months. In the consumer market, I see more of a battle for top spot.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Should this be a big surprise?
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bstring View Post

The enterprise is still a very Windows-dominated world, for better or for worse. Windows 8 tablets may take a year to come around and when they do, their numbers will surpass iPad and Android tablets combined within months. In the consumer market, I see more of a battle for top spot.

It may have a chance IF it can ship on time. Plus Windows 8 is going to be a bloated mess and users expectations will not be met (the 'do anything and everything a PC can do on any device' microsoft is tuting). Microsofts model seems to be make promises now for a future product, and then disappoint later (either by not shipping, or being a total disaster on functionality). How long have they been trying to make a tablet? They just don't understand the market. They will be hard pressed to achieve the tight, easy, and smooth integration apple has achieved with iOS.

Plus, once a product gets as established as the iPad is, it will be difficult or next to impossible to knock it off its pedestal in the short term (being several years). Just look... ALL tablets thus far barely make a SCRATCH in the tablet market against the iPad. Another time this has happened in the tech industry was with windows on desktops... look how long its been the dominant OS...

By the time it ships, users will have iPad 3's in their hands, or quite possibly iPad 4's...

Windows 8 on tablets is a non-starter. It will flop just like Kin, WP7, Vista, etc. End. Of. Story... If anything has a chance, its android, and a slim one at best.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Dropped my work provided BB for an iPhone a few months back. We don't fully support it yet, but once approved for general use it's going to be a bloodbath for RIM.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Actually, it shows no such thing.

The market is growing at double digit rates. The data suggests that for a certain period of time, Android was gaining sales and/or activations at a faster rate than Apple. Apple has still been growing.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheShepherd View Post

I guess that I don't understand why Blackberry is excluded. Is it because they don't use Good's services?

Probably. Also, Apple provides pretty goo enterprise functionality out of the box, whereas Android pretty much requires a third part tool, so I would take tool specific stats with a large grain of salt.

A bit like AV vendors warning of the impending doom on mobile devices - a bit self serving.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Quote:

Just like Vista took over XP in the enterprise market... Yep... I see these enterprise customers re-writing all their iOS software when Windows 8 ships because they miss using a stylus and dragging around a power cord. Android has a better shot then Windows 8... but they are still pretty far behind. Android devices have yet to implement a security infrastructure (like MDM on iOS and Lion) that is enterprise friendly.

BTW, most people with iPhones don't use Good because iPhone has pretty good support for Microsoft Exchange. Good is popular with Android because if Android limitations. Unless you really like Good's CRM solution, you are probably not going to use it on an iPhone. I'd expect Android to do much better then it is if there was any real Android enterprise adoption. Ironically, the iPhone has better support for exchange then Windows phones.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Quote:

The enterprise is still a very Windows-dominated world, for better or for worse. Windows 8 tablets may take a year to come around and when they do, their numbers will surpass iPad and Android tablets combined within months.

The only ones excited about Microsoft offerings are those in IT, and MS's influence is even waining there.

But I guess we will wait and see - I know where my money is going to be.

Quote:

In the consumer market, I see more of a battle for top spot.

Battle for the non-Apple offerings to stay relevant maybe. In tablets, it's going to be a battle for distant second vs a very distant third.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Quote:

Your logic is epic fail. Try this on:

The enterprise is still a very iPad-dominated world, for better or for worse. The new OSX and iMac's/MBA's may take a year to come around and when they do, the numbers of Mac computers will surpass Windows and Linux within months.

Do you see the nonsense here? Just because a legacy system is in place in one section of IT, does not mean that similar hardware will be adapted in other sections. The iPad dominates in industry because it is highly capable with an app for everything, and it just works! Many corporations are dumping their bloated, POS cheap-ass Dell's and moving to Mac's as well. This is even happening in the US Government, which has been Windows centric for over 20 years! And if you don't think that is huge, you are loco.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    Of course they do...

Have you ever tried to set up and work with an Exchange Account in Any android device? I've been using it in a Samsung Galaxy S Plus (Android 2.3.3) and I have no words to describe how painfully it is to search for mail, navigate thru folders and even try to get the exchange calendar sync...

I have an iPhone 4 as my personal phone, and this Samsung as a professional phone (that my company gave to me). I find myself using my personal iPhone 4 to check business e-mails as I just can't handle to do it properly with Android.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cosimo View Post

Of course they do...

Have you ever tried to set up and work with an Exchange Account in Any android device? I've been using it in a Samsung Galaxy S Plus (Android 2.3.3) and I have no words to describe how painfully it is to search for mail, navigate thru folders and even try to get the exchange calendar sync...

I have an iPhone 4 as my personal phone, and this Samsung as a professional phone (that my company gave to me). I find myself using my personal iPhone 4 to check business e-mails as I just can't handle to do it properly with Android.

I'm quite confused by your comment. I have the Verizon version of the Galaxy S, and I'm running 2.2. Syncing with my work email (exchange server) is easier than even my old windows mobile phones. Searching emails just involves tapping the search icon on the bottom of my phone, and switching folders literally involves two screen taps (tap the folder name in the top left hand corner, and it gives you a list.)

edit:

Actually, now I'm very curious by your comment as I'm on the verge of calling you a liar, but that seems illogical. The email app I'm working with is version 2.2.1. If you goto settings>applications>manage applications> all applications, then find "Email" tap that, and tell me what version you have. If you don't have what I have, we should try and find it, because everything you said is not at all the case with my phone.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Your logic is epic fail. Try this on:

The enterprise is still a very iPad-dominated world, for better or for worse. The new OSX and iMac's/MBA's may take a year to come around and when they do, the numbers of Mac computers will surpass Windows and Linux within months.

Do you see the nonsense here? Just because a legacy system is in place in one section of IT, does not mean that similar hardware will be adapted in other sections. The iPad dominates in industry because it is highly capable with an app for everything, and it just works! Many corporations are dumping their bloated, POS cheap-ass Dell's and moving to Mac's as well. This is even happening in the US Government, which has been Windows centric for over 20 years! And if you don't think that is huge, you are loco.

Macs won't replace Windows machines, bub. YOU'RE loco if you think they will.

I don't see anything replacing Windows machines like you describe for an extremely long time. Perhaps never.