Apple's iOS 5 Tech Talk World Tour 2011 coming to 9 cities worldwide

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple has confirmed that it will bring back its Tech Talk World tour this year, with the iOS 5-focused tutorials coming to nine cities between November and January.

Apple has launched a page for the Tech Talk World Tour 2011 where developers can sign up for the limited-space events. All iOS Developer Program members are eligible to attend.

Because of limited space, Apple said that priority will be given to developers who have an application available on the iOS App Store. The tour will kick off on Nov. 2 in Berlin, and spans three continents: Europe, Asia and the Americas, with three stops in the U.S.

"We're taking iOS 5 on a world tour and we want you to come along for the ride," the site reads. "Learn from experts as you take your apps to the next level with exciting new technologies in iOS. Space is limited, so register today."

The full list of dates and locations follows:

Berlin, Germany - November 2, Maritim ProArte Hotel Berlin

London, United Kingdom - November 7, Kings Place

Rome, Italy - November 9, Rome Marriott Park Hotel

Beijing, China - December 5, Renaissance Beijing Capital Hotel

Seoul, South Korea - December 8, Kintex

São Paolo, Brazil - January 9, Sheraton São Paulo WTC

New York City, New York - January 13, Millennium Broadway Hotel Times Square

Seattle, Washington - January 18, Hilton Seattle Airport and Conference Center

Austin, Texas - January 23, Austin Convention Center

The agenda for the events includes a kickoff starting at 9:00 a.m., leading into a class on iPhone and iPad user interface design at 10:00. Developers will learn about adopting iCloud Storage at 11:00 before a lunch break. In the afternoon, classes will divide into three rooms where they can learn about different iOS features like Newsstand, AirPlay, Game Center, iBooks, printing support and more. The day caps off at 6:00 p.m. with wine and cheese.

For those who can get in, the conference is free. Developers simply register with the Apple ID associated with their iOS Developer Program Membership.

It was rumored in July that Apple would bring back its Tech Talk World Tour for iOS 5. The previous events were held in 2008 and 2009, but Apple did not the event last year.

Tech Talk World Tour is like a mini-Worldwide Developers Conference, with track sessions featuring presentations for developers. Rather than requiring developers to fly to San Francisco, Calif., for WWDC, Apple brings the sessions to them.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    What's up? no Los Angeles or San Francisco
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

What's up? no Los Angeles or San Francisco

Yea. No bay area/silicon valley dates?
  • Reply 3 of 20
    There are no California sites because we just had the WWDC here not long ago, which has far more capacity than any of these other events. These are to reach developers that can't make it to the WWDC either because they couldn't get tickets or couldn't travel.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Registered for the Austin event. So sweet that it's only a two hour drive. I always wanted to go WWDC but it's hard to fit it into my schedule.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

Registered for the Austin event. So sweet that it's only a two hour drive. I always wanted to go WWDC but it's hard to fit it into my schedule.

Grr. Unfortunately Austin and New York are both about 12/13 hours away... Why can't they do one in Atlanta? Please? maybe next year.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Good to see São Paulo listed there - Brazil is one of the biggest soon-to-be-tapped markets for Apple, especially once Foxconn starts producing devices in earnest down there, with much lower taxes..!
  • Reply 7 of 20
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    No Toronto this time?
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

No Toronto this time?

I was just thinking the same thing.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I wish they'd do WWDC in multiple cities.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    I just saw the e-mail now and signed in right away, NYC is full already. Can't believe I missed it!
  • Reply 11 of 20
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    I'm guessing they picked the cities based on where developers are. Although I still would have expected at least one in Sydney. I mean, there's only the one in the Southern Hemisphere, and Brazil is kind of difficult to get to, as are the Asian ones.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

I just saw the e-mail now and signed in right away, NYC is full already. Can't believe I missed it!

It was full when I checked an hour ago too. I think they underestimated the popularity of these events. Hopefully there'll be a second round of dates announced at some point.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sessamoid View Post

There are no California sites because we just had the WWDC here not long ago, which has far more capacity than any of these other events. These are to reach developers that can't make it to the WWDC either because they couldn't get tickets or couldn't travel.

Insanity. There are thousands of devs in LA and SF who would be eager to attend this. Me, for one.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    It's a waste of money. If people want to learn about the platform let them use the developer website. Apple should be trying to stay lean and mean in these times.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple has confirmed that it will bring back its Tech Talk World tour this year, with the iOS 5-focused tutorials coming to nine cities between November and January.

Apple has launched a page for the Tech Talk World Tour 2011 where developers can sign up for the limited-space events. All iOS Developer Program members are eligible to attend.

Because of limited space, Apple said that priority will be given to developers who have an application available on the iOS App Store. The tour will kick off on Nov. 2 in Berlin, and spans three continents: Europe, Asia and the Americas, with three stops in the U.S.

"We're taking iOS 5 on a world tour and we want you to come along for the ride," the site reads. "Learn from experts as you take your apps to the next level with exciting new technologies in iOS. Space is limited, so register today."

The full list of dates and locations follows:

Berlin, Germany - November 2, Maritim ProArte Hotel Berlin

London, United Kingdom - November 7, Kings Place

Rome, Italy - November 9, Rome Marriott Park Hotel

Beijing, China - December 5, Renaissance Beijing Capital Hotel

Seoul, South Korea - December 8, Kintex

São Paolo, Brazil - January 9, Sheraton São Paulo WTC

New York City, New York - January 13, Millennium Broadway Hotel Times Square

Seattle, Washington - January 18, Hilton Seattle Airport and Conference Center

Austin, Texas - January 23, Austin Convention Center

[ View this article at AppleInsider.com ][/c]

What no Chicago or any city in the Midwest? Boo hoo Apple :-)

Registered for Austin - don't know if I will get it :-(

Those icons are great - anyone know if they are available anywhere?
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It's a waste of money. If people want to learn about the platform let them use the developer website. Apple should be trying to stay lean and mean in these times.

These events are more than just training for developers. They generate interest in the iOS platform plus they help people who are doing development connect with each other and find opportunities. I think they're a significant factor in the growth experienced by the iOS platform.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    See you at the mother ship Steve.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

You should get in touch with Apple, I'm sure they have no idea what they're doing and can greatly use your deep insight. You should let them know quick so they can shut down the program and let everyone know.

Incredible how people can say such a statement with such hubris, as if you have any idea what Apple should and shouldn't spend their money on.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anome View Post

I'm guessing they picked the cities based on where developers are. Although I still would have expected at least one in Sydney. I mean, there's only the one in the Southern Hemisphere, and Brazil is kind of difficult to get to, as are the Asian ones.

Apparently Flight Control and Real Racing just appeared out of nowhere
  • Reply 20 of 20
    I totally agree that Apparently Flight Control and Real Racing just appeared out of nowhere.