Apple board member says Steve Jobs told team not to ask "What would Steve do?"

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Go and read the 'High Performance Computing and Communication Act of 1991' Then claim you are intellectually superior to Al.

I guess you would have been one of those stating that the 'Information Super Highway' was a waste of tax dollars.

From Wikipedia: "A few days after winning the election in November 1992 in The New York Times article "Clinton to Promote High Technology, With Gore in Charge."They planned to finance research "that will flood the economy with innovative goods and services, lifting the general level of prosperity and strengthening American industry." Specifically, they were aiming to fund the development of "robotics, smart roads, biotechnology, machine tools, magnetic-levitation trains, fiber-optic communications, and national computer networks. Also earmarked are a raft of basic technologies like digital imaging and data storage." These initiatives were met with some skepticism from critics who claimed that "the initiative is likely to backfire, bloating Congressional pork, and creating whole new categories of Federal waste."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Gore...ion_technology

Again from Wikipedia: "President George H. W. Bush was on board. He predicted that the bill would help "unlock the secrets of DNA," open up foreign markets to free trade, and a promise of cooperation between government, academia, and industry.

p.s. Sadly there seems no such initiatives with teeth anymore in tyne USA from either party and the rest of the World is passing us by.

I never claimed to be intellectually superior.

You went all Herman Cain on me.
  • Reply 42 of 61
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:

p.s. Sadly there seems no such initiatives with teeth anymore in tyne USA from either party and the rest of the World is passing us by.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Well said.

There are indeed so many reasons to question the ability of Americans to think, plan long term. The only developed nation without a true universal healthcare system. The home of the most powerful religious conservatives in the world. Citizens who embrace extreme patriotism in one sentence and spout racist rants against the President in the next.

The system does seem broken in so many ways. Yet, time and time again, innovation takes place more often in the USA than any other nation. Part of it can be explained by the size of the population and the ability of the nation to attract the brightest immigrants. Part of it is the mystique of silicon valley. But there is something else that seems to defy probability and doomed government policies.

Remarkable.
  • Reply 43 of 61
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Thus is Steve Jobs' legacy:

Think different, than I.
  • Reply 44 of 61
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    <object id="wsj_fp" width="320" height="181"><param name="movie" value="http://s.wsj.net/media/swf/main.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><param name="flashvars" value="videoGUID={E7F4B207-CD4E-4B67-9350-6E5431F26C4C}&playerid=4001&plyMediaEnabled=1&conf igURL=http://m.wsj.net/video-players/&autoStart=false"; base="http://s.wsj.net/media/swf/"name="microflashPlayer"></param><embed src="http://s.wsj.net/media/swf/main.swf"; bgcolor="#FFFFFF"flashVars="videoGUID={E7F4B207-CD4E-4B67-9350-6E5431F26C4C}&playerid=4001&plyMediaEnabled=1&conf igURL=http://m.wsj.net/video-players/&autoStart=false"; base="http://s.wsj.net/media/swf/"; name="microflashPlayer" width="320" height="181" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>;
  • Reply 45 of 61
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Quote:

A place to consider a meeting of liberal arts and technology ...

I was reminded by someone on NPR the other day about how a young Steve insisted on Macintosh having lovely fonts when no one had ever even thought about a computer using typography before. Steve sat in on a course on type faces after he dropped out of his main subject at college and fell in love with kerning, ligatures and leading. His brilliance at melding art and design with technology in so many ways is the SJ hallmark IMHO.

This. Beauty and elegance are just as important as functionality. Apple's competitors never seem to understand this. There's a quote from Bill Gates in the All Things Digital interview they did together where he says, "I wish I had Steve's taste."

- Jasen.
  • Reply 46 of 61
    Quote:

Go and read the 'High Performance Computing and Communication Act of 1991' Then claim you are intellectually superior to Al.

I guess you would have been one of those stating that the 'Information Super Highway' was a waste of tax dollars.

From Wikipedia: "A few days after winning the election in November 1992 in The New York Times article "Clinton to Promote High Technology, With Gore in Charge."They planned to finance research "that will flood the economy with innovative goods and services, lifting the general level of prosperity and strengthening American industry." Specifically, they were aiming to fund the development of "robotics, smart roads, biotechnology, machine tools, magnetic-levitation trains, fiber-optic communications, and national computer networks. Also earmarked are a raft of basic technologies like digital imaging and data storage." These initiatives were met with some skepticism from critics who claimed that "the initiative is likely to backfire, bloating Congressional pork, and creating whole new categories of Federal waste."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Gore...ion_technology

Again from Wikipedia: "President George H. W. Bush was on board. He predicted that the bill would help "unlock the secrets of DNA," open up foreign markets to free trade, and a promise of cooperation between government, academia, and industry.

Let's see if the Mods take down this reply to your comment back to me...
  • Reply 47 of 61
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post

Sorry, I forgot the TV monitor he views from the right side of his head.

What is up with that frog?
  • Reply 48 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woodlink View Post

I think its funny how some folks surround themeselves with crap all over their office. Symbolically justifying themesleves as intellectuals.

I think it's funny how some folks think they can psycho-analyze someone from a single photograph of their office. Even funnier are those who don't really think that, but use any excuse to bolster their preconceived notions.

Some people have messy desks, others are neat freaks. Still others go through accumulate and purge cycles. I haven't really noticed a strong correlation with intellectualism for any of these particular habits. In fact I have a study...... where did I put that?
  • Reply 49 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

What is up with that frog?

Perhaps because amphibians are the proverbial "canary in a coal mine" when it comes to global warming (and pollution generally).
  • Reply 50 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post

You forgot Global Warming too.

...which is what happens when you need 3 Apple Cinema Displays.

Just so everyone knows ...

All the people outside of the little country of US-istan are really tired of the Al Gore jokes.

He's a decent man who is just trying to do good. His only major flaw is he is a bit boring. So what?

If any of you lesser idiots take the time to look it up, you will find out that all that stuff about him claiming to "invent" the Internet and other things, is just a lot of made up BS. No one in the real world outside of the USA understands why all you knee-jerk conservatives hate him so much. He's not that exciting, but he never actually did any of the bad or stupid things people attribute to him.
  • Reply 51 of 61
    Gore should be glad he is even associated with Apple's board. and he doesn't need to be the one giving info like this. Leave that to the public faces and voices of Apple, Al.

Of course, the wise thing to do would be to ask "what would Steve do?"

However, that is in terms of vision and attention to detail. No one is another person. Tim and others at Apple shouldn't "try to be Steve." but to not ask what he might do as they ceate their own vision is ridiculous. Steve Jobs knew that he hired people due to their unique talents and personalities and that those traits would get lost if they tried to emulate him. Not only that, but eventually, such a process would make the pioneers into followers. Steve knew better. and he showed his pioneer thinking when he took Apple employees on a retreat to refresh and think different all over again when they had a runaway hit on their hands with the iPod Nano. and then they did the unthinkable - tossed it out and created an all new one. And it was even better. that's the trend Jobs has put in place. Don't try to reform the past. Create something new. Blaze a trail.

Apple has always had vision. And it's executed that vision in excruciating detail, down to the last molecule.

The last thing Apple needs right now is for a behind the scenes board member trying to use this time to become more public and more controlling.

Time Cook is the guy. And the board exists to support him and keep him accountable. the end.

And Jonny Ive as well as the softtware teams are left to bring it all to life.
  • Reply 52 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

No, because Al Gore invented the iPhone, along with the Internet, the electric car, and salt.

Show me ANYWHERE, ANY MEDIA, ANY VIDEO where Al Gore said he invented the internet.

You CAN'T, because he never - *EVER* said that he invented the internet....
  • Reply 53 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macotor View Post

Show me ANYWHERE, ANY MEDIA, ANY VIDEO where Al Gore said he invented the internet.

You CAN'T, because he never - *EVER* said that he invented the internet....

Agreed - that was an exaggeration.

However, did you see An Inconvenient Truth? The narration sure made it sound like he was one of the first people on Earth to identify the global warming problem.
  • Reply 54 of 61
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Whenever a visionary dies, technology gets stuck. Henry Ford died - we are still driving essentially the same cars made 110 years ago. Thomas Edison died - we are still stringing electrical lines across poles 130 years later. Alexander Graham Bell died and we are still holding phones up to our ears 100 years later.

Each of those men revolutionized existing technology. No one has made it revolutionary since. Unless someone revolutionizes holograms, I don't think we will be seeing anything but thinner iPad's for the next 100 years.

Even aside from your factual errors (Ford did not revolutionize cars, just the car manufacturing process. We are not stringing electrical wires in most neighborhoods, anymore. And phones have had speakerphone capability for decades), you are incorrect in your general thoughts as well. Technology has seen incredible improvements in the last 100 years or so:

Penicillin (followed by many other antibiotics)

Integrated circuits

Computers

Personal media delivery devices

Treatments (even cures) for some types of cancer

Space exploration

High energy physics

Globalization of world markets

Weapon systems

DNA sequencing

Internet

And a million other things.

Every one of those things would be as revolutionary and incomprehensible to someone only a generation before as the telephone, automobile, and electrification of homes were in their own time.
  • Reply 55 of 61
    cajuncajun Posts: 95member
    Steve told me not to ask what Steve would have done. So does that mean that I ignore that and ask what Steve would have done?

I'm so confused! :P
  • Reply 56 of 61
    xamaxxamax Posts: 135member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Apple Board of Directors has been described as being at a "crossroads" after the Jobs' death. Some industry watchers suggested Apple should appoint an independent chairman from outside the company to take charge.

When Jobs stepped down as CEO in August, he recommended that the Board follow its succession plan and appoint Cook as the new chief. The directors readily agreed, appointing Cook to the position.

"I believe Apple?s brightest and most innovative days are ahead of it," Jobs said in an open resignation letter.

And at the end of a good article, AI always needs to add some BS. They just can't help it.
  • Reply 57 of 61
    Quote:

So... what if your own voice said to do what Steve would have done?

That may be, but the whole point is to operate on ideas/philosophies/values, rather than to simply try to replicate things that are a function of them.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Seek what they sought."

- Matsuo Basho (17th Century Japanese Poet)

THAT is why Android is a failure, even if it's selling well. Unless the ideas that drive it change, it will be a shallow copy in principle regardless of sales #s.
  • Reply 58 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Just so everyone knows ...

All the people outside of the little country of US-istan are really tired of the Al Gore jokes.

He's a decent man who is just trying to do good. His only major flaw is he is a bit boring. So what?

If any of you lesser idiots take the time to look it up, you will find out that all that stuff about him claiming to "invent" the Internet and other things, is just a lot of made up BS. No one in the real world outside of the USA understands why all you knee-jerk conservatives hate him so much. He's not that exciting, but he never actually did any of the bad or stupid things people attribute to him.

To whom are you referring to as "lesser idiots"?

Wow.
  • Reply 59 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woodlink View Post

To whom are you referring to as "lesser idiots"? ...

Seemed to me that he was referring to anyone who claimed that Al Gore said he invented the Internet.
  • Reply 60 of 61
    Quote:

No, because Al Gore invented the iPhone, along with the Internet, the electric car, and salt.

And Global Warming.

/me hides.