Apple rumored to have new dock connector for third-gen iPad by March 2012

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 59
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kkerst View Post


    Wrong analogy. The real question is: Does the doc connector provide faster syncing than a WiFi connection? Perhaps, but is it needed?



    But what if you want to sync, but have no WiFi?
  • Reply 22 of 59
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 759member
    Does TB make sense yet? How many TB computers are there versus iOS devices? Apple dropped the much faster FireWire when nearly all Macs and a vast number of PCs shipped with it.



    Personally I'm less bothered about data rates, the WiFi sync whilst the phone charges overnight is fine for most syncs.



    I would love to see a more robust and MagSafe connector though.
  • Reply 23 of 59
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    NO one is saying we need Ethernet on iDevices. Please reread those posts.



    Perhaps no one reads my posts. I'm saying WiFi only on the iDevices would be just fine. This IS ethernet. Actually, it's what we already have been living with this entire time. Show me an RJ45 connection on an iDevice. Does such an adapter exist? Please provide a link if they do, I'd be interested to try that out.



    All I was saying, with WiFi syncing to your iTunes on computer, is the 30 pin doc connector actually needed anymore?
  • Reply 24 of 59
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post


    But what if you want to sync, but have no WiFi?



    Then shell out $40 and buy a WiFi router. Problem solved.
  • Reply 25 of 59
    tsatsa Posts: 129member
    I would like to see something made using the technology of that LiquidMetal company Apple bought in 2010.
  • Reply 26 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kkerst View Post


    Then shell out $40 and buy a WiFi router. Problem solved.



    Wow. How profound a solution.



    Come on, man, until 802.11ac or 802.22 in iDevices, Wi-Fi-only syncing is completely out of the question and laughable.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tsa View Post


    I would like to see something made using the technology of that LiquidMetal company Apple bought in 2010.



    They've already done that.
  • Reply 27 of 59
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kkerst View Post


    Wrong analogy. The real question is: Does the doc connector provide faster syncing than a WiFi connection? Perhaps, but is it needed?



    If i don't have a wireless setup at home, i need both a dock connection and an rj-45.



    Same analogy. Try to keep up.
  • Reply 28 of 59
    Could it be this one?



    Thunderbolt, USB 3.0 iOS Dock Connector









    http://www.patentlyapple.com/patentl...connector.html
  • Reply 29 of 59
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shen View Post


    If i don't have a wireless setup at home, i need both a dock connection and an rj-45.



    Same analogy. Try to keep up.



    Why wouldn't you have WiFi? It kills both the doc conn. and the RJ45. You missed my original point, so please catch up to me.
  • Reply 30 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kkerst View Post


    Why wouldn't you have WiFi? It kills both the doc conn. and the RJ45. You missed my original point, so please catch up to me.



    Wi-Fi can't kill wired syncing until it gets faster. Much faster.
  • Reply 31 of 59
    We need something like this handy little 2.5-pound jewel:









    And, of course, each device would require 2 connectors to allow for a Terminator on the last device:









    Ahh... memories... a hunched back, a 6' SCSI cable over each shoulder, a terminator in each pocket, and a pipe wrench in each hand -- to bend/straighten the cables.
  • Reply 32 of 59
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


    We need something like this handy little 2.5-pound jewel:









    And, of course, each device would require 2 connectors to allow for a Terminator on the last device:









    Ahh... memories... a hunched back, a 6' SCSI cable over each shoulder, a terminator in each pocket, and a pipe wrench in each hand -- to straighten the cables.



    Ahh, now you're talkin! I have one of those for my IIgs hard drive.
  • Reply 33 of 59
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    The great thing about SCSI is that I never broke or lost the cable. I seem to buy a new iPhone cable every 3 months.
  • Reply 34 of 59
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    I agree that switching the iOS dock connector to Thunderbolt would be a good move for Apple.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    I seem to buy a new iPhone cable every 3 months.



    Really? I've never had a problem with any of mine and I am not especially gentle with them.
  • Reply 35 of 59
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,570member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    The great thing about SCSI is that I never broke or lost the cable. I seem to buy a new iPhone cable every 3 months.



    Yeah, but how many terminators did you lose?



    Although, I've never lost or broken my iPhone cable.
  • Reply 36 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    The great thing about SCSI is that I never broke or lost the cable. I seem to buy a new iPhone cable every 3 months.



    So true... Ya' never dropped a SCSI cable -- 'cause ya' couldn't lift one...
  • Reply 37 of 59
    WOT



    I just got my Walnut case for the iP4S:













    The above pics were taken with my iPad.





    The case came in a beautiful box-joint Baltic Birch (5-ply plywood) hand-made box packed with excelsior...



    Wait until my grandson sees this



    The whole thing was $59.





    This pic was taken with the beautifully encased iP4S:



  • Reply 38 of 59
    In March it wil be out..before April...whoa... gotta put the ipad 2 on the market in Feb.!!!
  • Reply 39 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post


    Yeah, but how many terminators did you lose?



    All of them.



    Quote:

    Although, I've never lost or broken my iPhone cable.



    You [obviously] don't have grandkids with iPhones and iPads...
  • Reply 40 of 59
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 434member
    Changing the size of the dock connector would be insanely stupid - instantly rendering the new device incompatible with the entire ecosystem of products. There are unused pins that should be able to accommodate new technologies, and some pins that are already used could possibly be repurposed (such as those for firewire or composite video).
Sign In or Register to comment.