Samsung Galaxy Nexus screen held back by subpar subpixels

Comments

• Reply 61 of 199
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Argument? Huh?

Please... explain the mobile phone landscape to all of us. We're dying to hear you tell us all about it.

It's been explained dozens of times here, thousands of times with the rest of the net. If you didn't get it then, you won't get it now, but hey, what's one more shot:

Apple has a completely unique (and successful for them) strategy:

They release a SINGLE device per year, no matter what the network. The reasons they can do this are numerous and (much like this explanation) have been hashed out dozens of times previously. Apple is in a very unique position here, one that no other company (with a possible left-field exception of Amazon) could ever hope to match.

Since they only have one device, if someone wants an "iphone" they're getting that single device made by apple. Yes, there is the iPhone4 and iPhone 3GS out there too, but they're not going to the same market. The 3gs is going towards the consumer who just wants a "free fone" when they upgrade and couldn't care less about specs, or power, or anything similar. The original 4 is a middle of the road and it's there for someone who wants a "value" phone.

If someone wants a high end iphone, their ONLY choice is the iPhone 4S

EVERY other manufacturer in the world follows a different strategy:

Let's Take RIM (the closest comparison to Apple). They used to follow a pretty easy lineup. They had the Bold for the high end, the Curve for the value shoppers, and the Pearl for those wanting a cheap phone. The thing was, is that all of these devices were essentially the same when it came to software, so there were customers who decided on a Curve instead of a Bold.

Unlike Apple, RIM didn't withhold software (like Siri) to exclusively their high end models. Sure, the bold had more ram, a (generally) better screen. But when people were looking for software and basic functionality, the two were interchangable.

So even Rim, the CLOSEST company to Apple's business model, had cannibalized sales from their own devices.

If someone wanted a high end Blackberry, they got the Tour, or the Curve if they didn't need the RAM. It get's even worse today, where the high end now has the Bold, the Torch, and whatever they're calling their new version of the Storm. And these are all phones by the SAME company running the Same OS.

When you bring in Licensed OS's, the problem gets even worse.

Let's Take a typical customer who, after researching the operating systems, decides he wants to get a high end Android phone with Verizon 4G. Yes, this means that there is one "less" iPhone sale, but remember that the customer STILL has to choose from the following:

-HTC Thunderbolt

-Samsung Droid Charge

-Droid Bionic

-LG Revolution

-Galaxy Nexus (if they wait)

-Rezound/other unnamed devices (if they wait on a rumor)

Even if the Galaxy Nexus turned out to be the most popular 4g launch EVER on verizon, it's still competing with those other devices for sales, even AFTER the customer already decided that they wanted a high end 4G device. What if they're ok with 3g OR 4g? Then you need to add:

-Droid Incredible 2

-Droid x2

-Droid 3

-etc.

That's why manufacturers don't aim to have the "best selling SINGLE device ever" their market setup doesn't allow for this, and even if Samsung, Moto, HTC, etc only released a SINGLE high end android device a year, they would still compete with each other for sales, and the iPhone4/4s/5/etc would outsell any single model they offered. This is often where people will suggest that HTC, Samsung, and Motorola should all make their own Operating systems to better compete. But people who make this argument (again) don't understand the mobile industry. Palm tried this, look at WebOS,an arguably better designed (aesthetically) OS than Android, or how the powerhouse of Microsoft is trying to get users to adopt WP7 (which receives almost universally glowing reviews), or even the dead before it started MeeGO, an OS that anyone who handed a device seemed to love and call amazing, and it will never see a real release.

The problem is those little things we call apps. It's not enough to have a phone with a great browser and phone, and email client anymore, it has to have extra stuff for you to download. Games, and productivity apps, it needs an ECOSYSTEM. If Samsung decided to push Bada into the truly high-end and bring it to the states, they'd need to build up that ecosystem on TOP of the costs of making a new OS and designing phones for it. Apple was able to break into the market, not JUST because of the revolutionary design, but because they have a powerful ecosystem to back them up. Even before apps, they had the itunes music store and MILLIONS of iTunes users with (then still DRM locked) music and videos. Samsung doesn't have that ecosystem, neither does HTC. The only company currently using Android that's anywhere close to an ecosystem like Apple's is Amazon, and they're not calling their fork android. So instead Samsung and HTC do the smart thing, they take an existing ecosystem (or ecosystems if you include WP7) and adopt them, customizing them to make them their own. Judging by their continuously record-breaking mobile profits, it seems they bet really well.

But the Galaxy Nexus isn't just one of the android crowd. It's a Nexus device. This means it will (most likely) have a much SMALLER advertising campaign than phones like the S2 (no carrier customization means a smaller budget) unless Google really steps up their game. The Nexus is also the developer phone. Sure, this launch is more consumer focused than previous ones, but the nexus is meant to showcase the future of android, not be a runaway best seller over other models. Google brought out the original nexus, and it didn't sell a ton of units (no one who understands the cellphone industry thought it would. You don't sell phones online only at full retail in the states) but it set the phone for the next year or more of device development. THAT'S the stick Google measures the success of Nexus devices against, not raw sales. As for Samsung? They don't care if your choice is a S2, or a Galaxy Nexus, or a Stratosphere, as long as it has their logo.
  • Reply 62 of 199
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

There are always tradeoffs and compromises with such young technology.

"I want it all, I want it all, I want it all....."

Good point.

We seem to have >1 screen technology which has extreme advantages. IPS and pixel density are things that make iPhone screens great. Super AMOLED Plus is pretty amazing for a variety of reasons. And now we see Super AMOLED dredged up, pentile and all, and given both a higher pixel density and a higher pixel count than previously. We'll see how things shake out.

I'd say we are in a good spot right now as consumers.
  • Reply 63 of 199
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mercurysquad View Post

Let me tell you from a totally unbiased perspective that such is not the case. I used a Motorola Droid (amazing screen) for a few months before switching to Nexus One. My first thought was "what a crappy screen!" As I continued using it for 1.5+ years, the PenTile arrangement kept getting on my nerves. It's not only easily perceivable, for anyone who cares about display quality and font rendering, it is a big annoyance. Vertical lines appear zigzag and small text looks funky.

The difference between a PenTile oled and a regular IPS LCD is quite noticeable. Granted that Nexus One's subpixel resolution is lower than that of galaxy nexus, but I am still skeptical at the claim that it will be unnoticeable.

Currently I use an iPhone 4S, and I am glad to see that my two favorite phones (4S and Moto Droid) in terms of display quality are also the top two screens in pure numerical terms (see 2nd chart on the anandtech article).

You're still comparing an old phone to a new one

252 PPI on the Nexus One

315 on the Galaxy Nexus

The type of Pentile Matrix has also improved over the years. (yes, there are different kinds)
  • Reply 64 of 199
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Menno View Post

It's been explained dozens of times here, thousands of times with the rest of the net. If you didn't get it then, you won't get it now, but hey, what's one more shot:.

Well... you could have saved yourself a lot of typing. I understand all of that quite well.

My point was aimed at all those Android fans that obviously don't get it. Every time a bigger screen is introduced or larger numbers of phones are announced they jump all over it and more or less announce that Apple is doomed.

My point with the remark about the larger screen being exactly what you are talking about. Samsung's model is based on units sold [by offering dozens of models]. Throw enough shit at the wall and some is bound to stick. Well, how far can this model go and still be successful? What do you have to do to capture more customers? So far it seems to be a spec race for Samsung... but what happens when Apple slowly introduces phones with the same specs or specs close to it but still continues with their high margin plan and is even more successful? What noticeable specs can Samsung still introduce?

If Google doesn't really step up its game with Android then the world's best selling phone [iPhone] will become more and more attractive because, besides Android, specs are all that Samsung seems to be offering.
  • Reply 65 of 199
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Less pixels per inch.

Considering you would normally hold a 4.65 inch screen further from your eyes then a 3.5inch I would actually say that the Crispness on the nexus S will be better. Consider..

3.5 at 326

4.65 at 316

326/3.5

316/4.65

which one is better.
  • Reply 66 of 199
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

You're still comparing an old phone to a new one

252 PPI on the Nexus One

315 on the Galaxy Nexus

The type of Pentile Matrix has also improved over the years. (yes, there are different kinds)

but as reported by anandtech, the galaxy nexus does use the RGBG matrix arrangement (ie. the same one as the nexus one) and not the newer RGBW matrix.

So it is fair to compare it to a nexus one.
  • Reply 67 of 199
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

DED = Daniel Eran Dilger

He goes by several pen names, one of them is "Slash Lane". Why in the hell he goes by several monikers is beyond me.

Maybe because this guy outed him out from using "Prince McLean" and proceeded to tear him a new one.

http://www.bynkii.com/archives/2008/...fun_stupi.html

DED is a dumbass. "Pentile" nowadays is simply RGBW.

Whether or not you like the technology is up to you. Decide for yourself:

http://www.nouvoyance.com/technology.html

and comparisons here

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4483/m...with-tegra-2/5

In any case LG is set to release a phone without pentile and it will have a 1280x720 IPS screen, aka the same people who make the iphone screen.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4944/l...hd-ips-display
  • Reply 68 of 199
    Quote:

Well... you could have saved yourself a lot of typing. I understand all of that quite well.

My point was aimed at all those Android fans that obviously don't get it. Every time a bigger screen is introduced or larger numbers of phones are announced they jump all over it and more or less announce that Apple is doomed.

Nobody thinks any Android device will kill ios. If you think that's our mentality, you have been trolled hard.

And we don't measure sales from just the single device. We measure sales on all the devices, because Android users have more choice of devices.

So if you really did know how the market works then why are you wasting our time asking?

As far as bigger screens go, the reception of larger screens has been overwhelmingly positive. Except the Dell Streak monster, haha
  • Reply 69 of 199
    Quote:

My point with the remark about the larger screen being exactly what you are talking about. Samsung's model is based on units sold [by offering dozens of models]. Throw enough shit at the wall and some is bound to stick. Well, how far can this model go and still be successful? What do you have to do to capture more customers? So far it seems to be a spec race for Samsung... but what happens when Apple slowly introduces phones with the same specs or specs close to it but still continues with their high margin plan? What noticeable specs can Samsung still introduce?

If Google doesn't really step up its game with Android then the world's best selling phone [iPhone] will become more and more attractive because, besides Android, specs are all that Samsung seems to be offering.

"All these android fans"

No, a statistically insignificant subset of android fans who are already in the minority of "android fans who post online" which is a minority of "android users" itself. Most android users couldn't care enough to comment (like most iphone users)

And did you even see the stuff coming in ICS? Not the specs, or the new font, or all of the other things people are trying to tear apart. You see how drop dead simple they made NFC? Multi-billion dollar companies are betting their future on NFC, so that's a huge deal. Google IS stepping up their game, but you won't read about that on sites like AI or DaringFireball.
  • Reply 70 of 199
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majjo View Post

but as reported by anandtech, the galaxy nexus does use the RGBG matrix arrangement (ie. the same one as the nexus one) and not the newer RGBW matrix.

So it is fair to compare it to a nexus one.

No it's not, because there is a MUCH higher pixel density and a MUCH improved Tech.

Take this article, written about the Note: (also using the RGBW matrix)

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsu...or-you_id23134

or how EVERY hands on review (including those that mention the pentile) say you don't notice it
  • Reply 71 of 199
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Quote:

No it's not, because there is a MUCH higher pixel density and a MUCH improved Tech.

Take this article, written about the Note: (also using the RGBW matrix)

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsu...or-you_id23134

or how EVERY hands on review (including those that mention the pentile) say you don't notice it

Right, I guess I should clarify: I meant comparable as in they are both based on the same technology, not that comparable as they are of roughly equal quality.
  • Reply 72 of 199
    Quote:

"All these android fans"

No, a statistically insignificant subset of android fans who are already in the minority of "android fans who post online" which is a minority of "android users" itself. Most android users couldn't care enough to comment (like most iphone users)

And did you even see the stuff coming in ICS? Not the specs, or the new font, or all of the other things people are trying to tear apart. You see how drop dead simple they made NFC? Multi-billion dollar companies are betting their future on NFC, so that's a huge deal. Google IS stepping up their game, but you won't read about that on sites like AI or DaringFireball.

... and I agree. I wasn't saying that Android wasn't stepping up its game. I'm saying that soon that is all that Samsung can offer to best the iPhone, being that in another 21/2 years Apple will be offering the 4S as its giveaway and a phone with a larger screen as its cheap phone etc. etc.

Believe me, I get it... don't forget, I'm the one that is saying that Apple will see declining iPhone sales in fiscal q2 and especially q3... until a redesigned phone is introduced.

... and I also say... Samsung appears to be in a spec race... but how far can that go in a phone?

As far as "those Android fans"... if it's a subset then most of that subset seems to be here on AI.
  • Reply 73 of 199
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    I just got an iPhone 4s and it is my first iPhone since I am on Sprint. I know the sales numbers are huge, I just hope Apple doesn't take that as affirmation we are all happy with a 3.5" screen. I for one certainly am not. I love the phone and iOS but I would kill for a larger screen. Coming down from my 4.3" Evo was a big disappointment. I doubt Apple will go with 4.3" but I sure hope they at least go up to at least a 4" display next year.

As far as this new Samsung display. my friend has the Samsung Galaxy SII on Sprint which unlike the AT&T and T-Mo versions has a 4.6" display like this new Nexus. I put it side by side my iPhone and the SII display is just as nice. I couldn't tell any difference.
  • Reply 74 of 199
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majjo View Post

Right, I guess I should clarify: I meant comparable as in they are both based on the same technology, not that comparable as they are of roughly equal quality.

Then leave it there. "Based on the same technology."

Even though it has been vastly improved upon to the point where nobody notices that it's pentile matrix and black / white text quality is incredible
  • Reply 75 of 199
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
  • Reply 76 of 199
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

Considering you would normally hold a 4.65 inch screen further from your eyes then a 3.5inch I would actually say that the Crispness on the nexus S will be better. Consider..

3.5 at 326

4.65 at 316

326/3.5

316/4.65

which one is better.

Are you really dividing pixels per inch (PPI) by... inches?

And I would argue you hold a phone about the same distance away from you (within 6 inches) no matter the size.
  • Reply 77 of 199
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Engadget seems to agree.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/21/t...us-not-a-plus/

Look at all of their in person impressions.

They adore the screen.
  • Reply 78 of 199
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Actually not.

The contrast levels on IPS screens are absolutely amazing and better than any other screen by a country mile with the one exception of AMOLED. To characterise the excellent although admittedly "second best" contrast of Apple's screens as "poor" is extremely misleading at best.

No it's not. I was comparing it, relatively, to the exact phone the article is about. As an owner of both an iPhone 4, and now a Nexus S, the difference is beyond minimal.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

About the ONLY time the blacker blacks are useful is watching movies. Otherwise its absolutely worthless.

And even then, on a screen so small, it barely makes any difference.

Maybe on a screen as small as the iPhone

Anytime you're on the menu, the black levels stand out. Watching videos, as you mention, is where the difference is noticeable appreciable, though this would apply to pictures as well.
  • Reply 79 of 199
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 514member
    Quote:

Quoting people that have used the device...

"The panel looks downright gorgeous, with unbeatable viewing angles, remarkably crisp text and graphics and a beautiful feel as one swipes across it"

Find a single bad first impression of the screen. Tip: You can't. It's still super amoled. Even when compared side by side with any iphone 4.

Pentile Matrix has better outdoor performance, white performance, and better battery life. At that PPI, you would have to put it under a microscope to see subpixels.

Not sure why this article is trying to imply that the iphone4's screen is any better.... I sure hope everyone has compared things like black performance between an iphone's LCD display and any amoled display

It's fun to watch you guys dig to the bottom of the barrel to try and find something wrong with it.

A single bad first impression? I have funny story for you then. I was talking to a coworker earlier today about this article, and he mentioned that a friend of his went out shopping to buy one of these new phones. After seeing the screen, he decided to hold off and is probably going to get a 4S instead. Apparently something about the screen wasn't doing it for him, and he had been excited about getting one until he saw it. There's your 1 story.

Anyway, the Pentile display on the Galaxy S sitting here on my desk looks like a$$ for text compared to the iPhone 4 - it's just a side effect of that idiotic sub-pixel layout - and if they decided to carry the same flawed screen technology on to the new phone, I'd pass on it as well. A simple straight edge can't actually be quite straight. Sounds like it might have come from the bottom of a barrel somewhere.
  • Reply 80 of 199
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Because everyone that handled the device reported on their impressions of the device.

Everyone loved it.

Don't see why this is hard to understand...

It's not hard to understand. It's just that I'm smart enough to realize that your use of "Everyone" is incorrect. See, for example:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/21/t...us-not-a-plus/