Samsung Galaxy Nexus screen held back by subpar subpixels

Comments

• Reply 81 of 199
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Engadget seems to agree.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/21/t...us-not-a-plus/

No, they're quoting an article that agrees because it will increase their SEO. Notice how they don't give their own opinion, because it DIRECTLY contradicts this post:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/18/s...exus-hands-on/

Quote:

Still, we've been clamoring for a 1,280 x 720 display on a smartphone for what feels like forever, and now that it's here on the Galaxy Nexus, we aren't about to kvetch. Indeed, the panel looks downright gorgeous, with unbeatable viewing angles, remarkably crisp text and graphics and a beautiful feel as one swipes across it. The fingerprint magnet that is a glossy overcoat is still here, but it's the only feel niggle we've found on the screen as a whole.

Sounds like they're pretty impressed with it, specifically mentioning the Crisp text, which that newer link is trying to contradict.

Also, refer to my previous post about the Note from PhoneArena where they pointed out how the new Pentile AMOLED screens were actually really good.

As for the FlatPanels, it's zooming into a point where NO ONE using their phone could look. And when you see the image from a close "normal" distance there's no issue, a point PhoneArena backs up.

Sure, now that this pentile thing is out I'm sure a few sites will be changing their tune, but if the screens had the noticeable pentile jaggedness like the Droid3 had, they would catch onto it really fast, and not have to backtrack.
  • Reply 82 of 199
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Easily, show black text on a white background on an Amoled pentile display and compare it to the IPS LCD retina display of an iPhone.

This is irrelevant. Someone doubted my claim that the black levels were superior; the remainder of the technical facets are not relevant within the context of that discussion.
  • Reply 83 of 199
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It's not hard to understand. It's just that I'm smart enough to realize that your use of "Everyone" is incorrect. See, for example:

Engadget LOVED the screen:

At least the guy who actually HANDLED one did.

That post you're quoting is sourcing an article written about the GalaxyNote, and NOT a hands on with the Nexus. what you linked to is called a "SEO post." Since people are freaking out about screen res on the nexus, Engadget pushed a piece to grab some clicks even though it directly contradicts their own hands on.

Again, EVERYONE who's handled the device loved the screen.
  • Reply 84 of 199
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    1) Based on this image why not look at the Moto Droid and Atrix displays to see if you can see pixels.
    2) I really thought OEMs using PenTile had finally pushed passed the clearly inferior non-Plus displays. I seem to recall that when Super AMOLED+ first arrived that it was suppose to spell doom for the iPhone 4 because now Android-based phones wouldn't have to deal with the sub-pixel scam. Apparently not.
    3) If the situation were reversed, these same people claiming AMOLED is superior to the iPhone 4/4S display would be crying foul on Apple, posting stupid petition and proposing a class-action lawsuit.
  • Reply 85 of 199
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrstep View Post

A single bad first impression? I have funny story for you then. I was talking to a coworker earlier today about this article, and he mentioned that a friend of his went out shopping to buy one of these new phones. After seeing the screen, he decided to hold off and is probably going to get a 4S instead. Apparently something about the screen wasn't doing it for him, and he had been excited about getting one until he saw it. There's your 1 story.

Anyway, the Pentile display on the Galaxy S sitting here on my desk looks like a$$ for text compared to the iPhone 4 - it's just a side effect of that idiotic sub-pixel layout - and if they decided to carry the same flawed screen technology on to the new phone, I'd pass on it as well. A simple straight edge can't actually be quite straight. Sounds like it might have come from the bottom of a barrel somewhere.

He went out to buy one huh?

But... there's no release date.... It is currently impossible to buy one.

you people......
  • Reply 86 of 199
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Menno View Post

Engadget LOVED the screen:

At least the guy who actually HANDLED one did.

That post you're quoting is sourcing an article written about the GalaxyNote, and NOT a hands on with the Nexus. what you linked to is called a "SEO post." Since people are freaking out about screen res on the nexus, Engadget pushed a piece to grab some clicks even though it directly contradicts their own hands on.

Again, EVERYONE who's handled the device loved the screen.

"Because we are talking about a Super AMOLED display and not a Super AMOLED Plus, the display is based on a so-called PenTile pixel structure, where pixels share subpixels. A PenTile OLED panel was recently introduced with the Samsung Galaxy Note, and we were not impressed. In real world PenTile means loss of details and sharpness, as well as a bluish/greenish tint around letters (depending on the background color).

[?]

And if you calculate the real pixel density you will find that the Galaxy Nexus is actually closer to a ?real? ppi value of 200, which is just slightly higher than on the Galaxy S II (that uses a Super AMOLED Plus with RGB pixel structure). Some claim that a PenTile panel needs around 420 ppi to qualify as a Retina display and that is probably also the reason why Retina is nowhere to be found on the specs sheets of neither Galaxy Note nor Galaxy Nexus."
    That's the Engadget source. That sounds glowing to you? They clearly state a much higher pixel density is needed to trick the eye and that the Galaxy Nexus is just slightly higher than the Galaxy S II so why would you think it would considerably better than the iPhone 4/4S?
  • Reply 87 of 199
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I really thought OEMs using PenTile had finally pushed passed the clearly inferior non-Plus displays. I seem to recall that when Super AMOLED+ first arrived that it was suppose to spell doom for the iPhone 4 because now Android-based phones wouldn't have to deal with the sub-pixel scam. Apparently not.

Except that's a different type of Pentile Matrix. Ones that were on the original WVGA Galaxy S series.

PPI is now through the roof, and it's a different pentile matrix structure. These also still have higher contrast and color gamut than any iphone.
  • Reply 88 of 199
    Quote:
    "Because we are talking about a Super AMOLED display and not a Super AMOLED Plus, the display is based on a so-called PenTile pixel structure, where pixels share subpixels. A PenTile OLED panel was recently introduced with the Samsung Galaxy Note, and we were not impressed. In real world PenTile means loss of details and sharpness, as well as a bluish/greenish tint around letters (depending on the background color).

[…]

And if you calculate the real pixel density you will find that the Galaxy Nexus is actually closer to a “real” ppi value of 200, which is just slightly higher than on the Galaxy S II (that uses a Super AMOLED Plus with RGB pixel structure). Some claim that a PenTile panel needs around 420 ppi to qualify as a Retina display and that is probably also the reason why Retina is nowhere to be found on the specs sheets of neither Galaxy Note nor Galaxy Nexus."
    That's the Engadget source. That sounds glowing to you? They clearly state a much higher pixel density is needed to trick the eye and that the Galaxy Nexus is just slightly higher than the Galaxy S II so why would you think it would considerably better than the iPhone 4/4S?

And that engadget source is quoting them covering the GALAXY NOTE, not the Galaxy Nexus. And again, even with the picture they provided for the note, on the normal picture (even compressed and optimized for the web) you can't see the banding that plagued the earlier AMOLED screens unless you zoom in further than anyone would actually hold the device.

I didn't say it would be better than the 4S. I just (correctly) pointed out that people are making a big deal out of nothing considering everyone who's handled the Galaxy Nexus has praised the screen as being a Good one.

Believe it or not, it IS possible to have more than one screen qualify as "Good"

(For me personally, a 4+ inch screen will be better even at 800x480 simply because 3.5 is too small for me to comfortably use, but even then I don't say it's quantifiably better)

The ONLY people here trying desperately to prove one screen "better" than the other are those "defending" apple. No one's attacking them. DED posted a troll article here, and we pointed out the errors. Nothing more, nothing less.
  • Reply 89 of 199
    Quote:

1) Based on this image why not look at the Moto Droid and Atrix displays to see if you can see pixels.

Yes, because the average person can see SUB PIXELS. or holds their phone anywhere close enough to their face to notice it. Look at the graph you posted again. 1) it's sub pixels 2) Even that being the case the Galaxy Nexus STILL has higher number than any previous Pentile Device (the OG Droid and Atrix 2 are not pentile). The closest non-+ pentile screen is the Droid 2 which has 40 fewer sub-pixels per inch. That alone makes a difference.

Quote:

2) I really thought OEMs using PenTile had finally pushed passed the clearly inferior non-Plus displays. I seem to recall that when Super AMOLED+ first arrived that it was suppose to spell doom for the iPhone 4 because now Android-based phones wouldn't have to deal with the sub-pixel scam. Apparently not.[INDENT]

Nope, no one (besides random trolls) said doom. Most people said SuperAMOLED would make the pixel wars mean less because they made it matter less, which review after review of the devices on sites such as Engadget, TC, and the like seemed to back up.

Quote:

3) If the situation were reversed, these same people claiming AMOLED is superior to the iPhone 4/4S display would be crying foul on Apple, posting stupid petition and proposing a class-action lawsuit.

Actually not. because no one is claiming the AMOLED screen is superior here. What they are saying is "It looks amazing"

Again, the only people making this into an "apple vs the world" argument are apple fans.
  • Reply 90 of 199
    Quote:

And that engadget source is quoting them covering the GALAXY NOTE, not the Galaxy Nexus. And again, even with the picture they provided for the note, on the normal picture (even compressed and optimized for the web) you can't see the banding that plagued the earlier AMOLED screens unless you zoom in further than anyone would actually hold the device.

I didn't say it would be better than the 4S. I just (correctly) pointed out that people are making a big deal out of nothing considering everyone who's handled the Galaxy Nexus has praised the screen as being a Good one.

Believe it or not, it IS possible to have more than one screen qualify as "Good"

(For me personally, a 4+ inch screen will be better even at 800x480 simply because 3.5 is too small for me to comfortably use, but even then I don't say it's quantifiably better)

The ONLY people here trying desperately to prove one screen "better" than the other are those "defending" apple. No one's attacking them. DED posted a troll article here, and we pointed out the errors. Nothing more, nothing less.

I know what device it's referring as noted in my quoted text. The point is they are similar display types and pixel density. You could argue that the arrangement of the pixels is different which makes it so much better, like that other guy just did, but that seems to be speculation and sounds like a shell game argument.

I'm sure the few people that have been giving a Galaxy Nexus to hold are raving about it. That how this works. We've seen it before. Later, when we ge real tests we see that the product wasn't as great as selected few made it out to be. Maybe a couple hand selected fanboys aren't the best measure of reality. I certainly don't read only Apple-centric sites to get data on Apple products. In fact I'm still waiting for AnandTech's review of the iPhone 4S.
  • Reply 91 of 199
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It's not hard to understand. It's just that I'm smart enough to realize that your use of "Everyone" is incorrect. See, for example:

Everyone. Yes everyone, that has had hands on time with it loves it.

That article doesn't contradict that.
  • Reply 92 of 199
    Quote:

Again, the only people making this into an "apple vs the world" argument are apple fans.

I distinctly recall that the pro-Android/anti-Apple crowd wanting to compare the iPhone HW unit sales to all Android OS activations, regardless of the number vendors involved, whether it's a smartphone or some other device, and without consideration as to what constitutes an activation. That sounds to me like an Apple v The World argument, not a discussion about display types. Apple isn't the sole user of LCD technology.
  • Reply 93 of 199
    Quote:

I know what device it's referring as noted in my quoted text. The point is they are similar display types and pixel density. You could argue that the arrangement of the pixels is different which makes it so much better, like that other guy just did, but that seems to be speculation and sounds like a shell game argument.

I'm sure the few people that have been giving a Galaxy Nexus to hold are raving about it. That how this works. We've seen it before. Later, when we ge real tests we see that the product wasn't as great as selected few made it out to be. Maybe a couple hand selected fanboys aren't the best measure of reality. I certainly don't read only Apple-centric sites to get data on Apple products. In fact I'm still waiting for AnandTech's review of the iPhone 4S.

Right, because Endgadget, ThisIsMyNext, Techcrunch, etc are all paragons of "Android Fanboys" right? You're seriously trying to imply that?

Why are you so freaking defensive about a device:

1) You have no interest in owning

2) Will do NOTHING to threaten the device you have/want to have (if anything, it will push it to make it better)

Furthermore, you make up these wild tales of people here claiming that "OMG the screen is better!" when in fact, they're not. All they're doing is pointing out the flaw in DED's article and noting the fact that everyone who's used one (and they're hardly "Android Fanboys") seems to be impressed with the screen.

People aren't smushing these things up against their eyeballs trying to see pixels. They're holding them over a foot (at minimum) away from their face.

I really don't get your hosility over this. DED's I can understand because he's simply hostile, but you're typically rather rational about these things. You're not here.
  • Reply 94 of 199
    Quote:

I distinctly recall that the pro-Android/anti-Apple crowd wanting to compare the iPhone HW unit sales to all Android OS activations, regardless of the number vendors involved, whether it's a smartphone or some other device, and without consideration as to what constitutes an activation. That sounds to me like an Apple v The World argument, not a discussion about display types. Apple isn't the sole user of LCD technology.

And you distinctly recall wrong. The person who brought that up in this thread was (surprise) an apple fan trying to say the Galaxy nexus will fail because it won't sell as many devices as the iPhone 4S will. That argument might come up from time to time here, but here (as with many other cases on this site) it's started by someone in the iOS crowd because they still mistakenly think it's a trump card (just like android users who insist that volume sales are a trump card). Google and Apple are playing Completely different games for completely different businesses. Comparing their sales numbers is pointless.

You're the one trying to make this into a "android users are picking on the LCD's" when it's patently obvious we're not.
  • Reply 95 of 199
    Quote:

These other sites have given Apple products high ratings. How could you imply they're Android Fanboys?

We should be talking about other benefits of amoled. Like contrast and color gamut imo
  • Reply 96 of 199
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 513member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

He went out to buy one huh?

But... there's no release date.... It is currently impossible to buy one.

you people......

Funny, then I misunderstood why his friend is no longer so enthusiastic about it. It sounded like he had seen it in person, and I mistakenly assumed it had been released.

On the other hand, it makes it even funnier that you're trolling over on an Apple site about a phone that isn't even available touting how great the screen is when you haven't even been using one.

You people.
  • Reply 97 of 199
    Quote:

Right, because Endgadget, ThisIsMyNext, Techcrunch, etc are all paragons of "Android Fanboys" right? You're seriously trying to imply that?

Why are you so freaking defensive about a device:

1) You have no interest in owning

2) Will do NOTHING to threaten the device you have/want to have (if anything, it will push it to make it better)

Furthermore, you make up these wild tales of people here claiming that "OMG the screen is better!" when in fact, they're not. All they're doing is pointing out the flaw in DED's article and noting the fact that everyone who's used one (and they're hardly "Android Fanboys") seems to be impressed with the screen.

People aren't smushing these things up against their eyeballs trying to see pixels. They're holding them over a foot (at minimum) away from their face.

I really don't get your hosility over this. DED's I can understand because he's simply hostile, but you're typically rather rational about these things. You're not here.

1) You can attempt to goad me all you want but it won't work.

2) I questioned the iPhone 4's display, too. Best not to take the word of the privileged few as canon unless you have a solid argument to back up your faith.

3) People have been claiming the AMOLED buzzword(acronym) is better since it first came on the scene. You can even find reviews wondering why Apple didn't put it in their products when it's so hip and cool.

4) I will likely own this device. If it's worthy I'll keep it, if not I'll return it.
  • Reply 98 of 199
    Quote:

1) You can attempt to goad me all you want but it won't work.

2) I questioned the iPhone 4's display, too. Best not to take the word of the privileged few as canon unless you have a solid argument to back up your faith.

3) People have been claiming the AMOLED buzzword(acronym) is better since it first came on the scene. You can even find reviews wondering why Apple didn't put it in their products when it's so hip and cool.

4) I will likely own this device. If it's worthy I'll keep it, if not I'll return it.

I'm not trying to goad you, I'm trying to figure out why you're going off the wall with this. DED posted his usual fud article. Myself, and others posted articles (written by people who actually handled the device) that contradicted his claims. Then people mentioned that Engadget SEO play, which is countered by an excellent (and much more detailed writeup) on phone area (I suppose they're Android fanboys too?)

2) No one here is saying ANYTHING negative about the iP4 screen. Again, I don't know what made you assume this.

3) No, they're claiming it has better color reproduction and colors look more vibrant (though they can tend on oversaturated). And people ALWAYS question why company X doesn't adopt buzzword B. That's who tech opinions work. But NO ONE is saying that here. Again, this entire discussion started with Mr Angry posting an "article" attacking it. NO One here has implied that the Amoled screen is "superior" beyond those things like color reproduction, because it is. But technical superiority doesn't mean it's better overall. So where are people attacking the IP4 screen here? Where am I doing it? I'm not, and no one else here is. I read a post by an Apple fan earlier today that the only people who like android like it because they can't afford a "real phone." Just because that idiot shares the same OS preference as you doesn't mean I assume you're the same person and make the same arguments. I'd ask you to extend the same courtesy.

I'm not trying to goad you, I'm trying to get you to calm down. You're making arguments against positions that NO ONE is holding here.
  • Reply 99 of 199
    Quote:

I'm not trying to goad you, I'm trying to figure out why you're going off the wall with this. DED posted his usual fud article. Myself, and others posted articles (written by people who actually handled the device) that contradicted his claims. Then people mentioned that Engadget SEO play, which is countered by an excellent (and much more detailed writeup) on phone area (I suppose they're Android fanboys too?)

2) No one here is saying ANYTHING negative about the iP4 screen. Again, I don't know what made you assume this.

3) No, they're claiming it has better color reproduction and colors look more vibrant (though they can tend on oversaturated). And people ALWAYS question why company X doesn't adopt buzzword B. That's who tech opinions work. But NO ONE is saying that here. Again, this entire discussion started with Mr Angry posting an "article" attacking it. NO One here has implied that the Amoled screen is "superior" beyond those things like color reproduction, because it is. But technical superiority doesn't mean it's better overall. So where are people attacking the IP4 screen here? Where am I doing it? I'm not, and no one else here is. I read a post by an Apple fan earlier today that the only people who like android like it because they can't afford a "real phone." Just because that idiot shares the same OS preference as you doesn't mean I assume you're the same person and make the same arguments. I'd ask you to extend the same courtesy.

I'm not trying to goad you, I'm trying to get you to calm down. You're making arguments against positions that NO ONE is holding here.

Getting me to calm down? Yet you are the one using bold, caps and absolutes. I've been civil, calm, rational and stated several points yet to be addressed. It reads like you are the upset one.
  • Reply 100 of 199
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Android blows.

So does PenTile. They can "Super duper" it up all they want. PenTile is cheating about the number of real pixels you can cleanly display. A marketing trick.