Steve Jobs was ?annoyed and depressed? over initial reaction to iPad launch

Comments

• Reply 61 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post

Well. There really isnt any reason now with an A5 processor we at least can't have an option to turn on or off Flash. Lack of Flash does cripple the device somewhat.

That would be like when Chicago reverses the flow of the Chicago [Des Plaines] river and reverses the flow of raw sewerage into Lake Michigan.

Every St. Paddy's day they dye the Chicago river green (to desguise the brown bits) and some idiot waterskis on it...

"Siri, What is Flash?"

Siri: "a gaudy outward display." *

* one of several choices... That seemed appropriate here

Sent from my totally useless iPad 1
  • Reply 62 of 222
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:

Well. There really isnt any reason now with an A5 processor we at least can't have an option to turn on or off Flash. Lack of Flash does cripple the device somewhat.

hate to pile on you, but Flash is so ... history. the Fat Lady has sung.
  • Reply 63 of 222
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

But the original criticism was warranted, it basically was a giant ipod Touch at launch and Apple improved the iPad immensely since then. They launched a tablet that initially couldn't even multitask. Now it's world class leading product.

You know what? For normal people, in normal use multitasking didnt even fucking matter. It's the blogosphere that made it seem like it a a make-or-break feature, enough to mock the iPad 6 way to Sunday. I've witness dozens upon dozens of people use the iPad 2. You know what? Not ONCE did I see ANYONE use the multitasking bar. It just isn't that big of a deal on something like the iPad. Yes, it's nice to have, and I use it, but to suggest the original iPad was 'crippled' is completely false. People who live i nthe echo-chambers of the tech-blogosphere lose touch of how the vast majority of normal people use products. Just like copy and paste, something that I doubt the majority of iPhone owners have even used ONCE. But of course, the entire internet was foaming at the mouth that the iPhone was basically useless and a toy before they added this.
  • Reply 64 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmvsm View Post

It was only warranted by those who had no imagination or insight as to what the device was actually capable of accomplishing. That's what separates the great from the mediocre, and someone like Jobs from Michael Dell or Bill Gates.

YESS!!! This fuels the entire debate. Those of us who were "early adopters" (a derogatory term if ever I heard one) saw the potential and the vision despite a shortcoming or two. We knew where it was going.
  • Reply 65 of 222
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

That's your opinion. Not having multitasking on a tablet was a fail in many ways and I could give you countless examples but it's water under the bridge, things evolved.

I didn't even bring Android tablets into it. No I don't think they're any good and half baked at best. I'm typing this on my iPad2 for a reason. But this was about Jobs and the iPad launch.

Don't forget the iPad hype was unlike any other. If Apple released a unicorn it wouldn't have been enough.

I heard that fire was only kinda warm when it first came out...
  • Reply 66 of 222
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Some people never learn....

First, there are massive security problems with Flash. The A5 doesn't help that.

Second, Flash is crash prone. The A5 doesn't help that.

The most important reason, though, it that you sometimes need to make a break with history to get ahead. If Apple had offered Flash as an option, most developers wouldn't have gone to the trouble to create Flash-free content. They would have simply put up a message saying "please turn Flash on" - so we'd be no better off than if Flash were on by default. It was only the fact that Flash was not available AT ALL that made developers come up with new things.
  • Reply 67 of 222
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    What did Steve expect? The vast majority of North American media today is advertising and partnership driven. Meaning, if they can't get any revenue from you, they either won't care about you if you're small or they'll bash you if you're big. There are very few people in the media who actually have independent thoughts or care about anything other than getting as many eyes on their articles as possible to generate advertising revenue.

That's both Apple's greatest strength and their biggest shortcoming: they don't play the game like everyone else does. They're more interested in spending their money on the best engineering than on giving everyone in the media a golden handshake to push a second-rate product. And because of that, everyone else hates the fact that Apple is doing so well but they aren't getting a piece of the pie.
  • Reply 68 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

I'm with you on this, Dick. DED suffered the slings and arrows of an unending barrage of outrageous comments, and this may be his opportunity for a huge counterattack. Perhaps it's overdone, but he does have a point. Some of the critics in the media had it coming.

Aside from that, let me share an iPad experience. We were in Florida on April 30, 2010 the day the first 3G iPads went on sale - halfway through a 3,000-mile vacation road trip, visiting our kids and their families. With that portability and wireless capability, I can assure you that the second half of our road trip was a lot richer and more interesting than the first. For almost 18 months now, our two iPads have performed flawlessly. When we're away from home, they let us navigate, search for local food and lodging, stream Internet audio, and use apps like EyeTV Remote and StreamToMe to access digital entertainment on our IMacs at home. MobileMe and iDisk have let us keep our address book, contacts, calendar and files synced and current wherever we are and on whatever iDevice we're using. I don't need the photo and movie capability of an iPad 2 since we can shoot content and transfer from our iPhones. Depending on what features will be incorporated in the iPad 3, then will be the time we will probably upgrade.

So when the revisionist historians make claims that the first iPads were crippled and that it took a software update like multitasking to make them worthwhile, my wife and I can put the lie to their claims. We were there. We used the iPads from 3G Day One. Our experience was awesome from the git-go and has only gotten better.

Very similar experience here.

We also use iCam to monitor the homefront while we're away... And I have used StreamToMe to show off home soccer movies (from last week) while in the middle of a park (at this week's game).

Traffic reports on one iPad, while the grandkids were watching movies on the other iPad in the back seat.

Now, each of us has his own iPad -- and we group read, aloud, several times a week... You should hear my 11-year-old grandson read The ballad of the Ice-Worm Cocktail".
  • Reply 69 of 222
    I'll be honest, I was initially pretty underwhelmed by the initial iPad launch. To be frank, it was one of Apple's/Jobs' most boring keynotes ever. I don't blame for Steve for not being a dynamo of energy at that point in time. But it lacked that usual Apple electricity.

To be clear, I think the iPad is a pretty cool product now - I have an iPad 2. I think part of the misunderstanding of it was that the iPad is so plain physically. Beautiful, slim, capable. But it's especially featureless without software. After all, the iPad is essentially a portal to apps, games, websites, books, and other content. And that stuff did not quite appear to be there at launch.

Even now, if I'm perfectly honest, the iPad is a bit of an enigma. Extremely simple and pared down to its essence. Yet, you have really have to reframe your expectations for it. If a friend asked me if they should get a Mac, I'd say, "Sure, I've been using Macs for 8 years and I'd recommend one for anyone that's not a hardcore gamer. " And even then, you could Boot Camp. If someone asks me if they should get an iPad, I say, "It's really good at a handful of things. Reading books/magazines, web browsing, touch games, etc. Things you do while sitting on a couch. Don't expect it to replace your computer." \

I think even today, tablets are still finding their place.
  • Reply 70 of 222
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member
    When the media poo pooed the iPad I decided to buy 10K in Apple stock when it dropped in February and March. I keep looking for an opportunity like that again. The recent worries about the iPhone sales last quarter might be a similar opportunity, but not enough so for me to buy more shares.
  • Reply 71 of 222
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

YESS!!! This fuels the entire debate. Those of us who were "early adopters" (a derogatory term if ever I heard one) saw the potential and the vision despite a shortcoming or two. We knew where it was going.

Exactly the reason why I jumped on the iPhone when it first came out.

Every other "smart phone" at the time had a closed, oddball, third-party designed OS which was completely unattractive for the average developer to try and extend or create software for (proprietary serial port connectors to do development? Really?). These were not platforms where, if you took the time to learn them, your effort would be worthwhile going forward. They were throwaway technology.

The first time I jailbroke my iPhone (using the standard dock connector that came with it) and found a pared down UNIX system with much of Mac OS X on it, I knew that this platform would support anything I wanted to do for many years to come (even though the tools to do so weren't officially provided by Apple yet). From running UNIX servers, to creating rich graphical applications.

Sure Android has the same thing now, but there's still a lot of inconsistency in which devices support which OS version and which features. Overall, it still feels pretty messy and haphazard from a technology standpoint.
  • Reply 72 of 222
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

That would be like when Chicago reverses the flow of the Chicago [Des Plaines] river and reverses the flow of raw sewerage into Lake Michigan.

Every St. Paddy's day they dye the Chicago river green (to desguise the brown bits) and some idiot waterskis on it...

"Siri, What is Flash?"

Siri: "a gaudy outward display." *

* one of several choices... That seemed appropriate here

Sent from my totally useless iPad 1

Remember when Steve Jobs said "Hell froze over"? Wait til Cook gives the Mac blu- ray, 3D screens and matte options on the iMac. Then we can talk.
  • Reply 73 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Some people never learn....

First, there are massive security problems with Flash. The A5 doesn't help that.

Second, Flash is crash prone. The A5 doesn't help that.

The most important reason, though, it that you sometimes need to make a break with history to get ahead. If Apple had offered Flash as an option, most developers wouldn't have gone to the trouble to create Flash-free content. They would have simply put up a message saying "please turn Flash on" - so we'd be no better off than if Flash were on by default. It was only the fact that Flash was not available AT ALL that made developers come up with new things.

So in the meantime you're satisfied to go run and turn on your Mac to view something that your iPod won't allow??? Or do you simply deem it unworthy?
  • Reply 74 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fyngyrz View Post

There were -- and are -- areas where Apple has really screwed up. The current IOS 5 release will WIFI sync on XP, a 10 year old non-native OS, but it won't WIFI sync on Leopard, a 4-year old NATIVE Apple OS, not on Intel or on the PPC. This is an arbitrary -- and stupid -- limitation. Apple is dead silent on the issue, re-dropping a ball they had already dropped badly enough, frankly.

With Lion, Apple dropped PPC emulation -- completely arbitrarily -- thus throwing a whole generation of otherwise perfectly good -- and working well -- software in the trash.

There are real improvements that could be made, about which there have been numerous suggestions: the iPod/iPad could have had a mono-out option right out of the gate, both to enable those with one good ear, and to allow music in one ear and monitoring of, for instance, a baby's cry in the next room. It took a LONG time to get that simple software fix into the system, despite loud cries from the hearing disabled community. The iPad could have had an IR emitter, a matter of a few pennies: an IR diode and a hole in the case, and it would have made an AWESOME remote control. The iPad could have a memory slot for any number of good reasons.

Snow Leopard was such a highly incompatible release, a third party website sprang up to try and help people deal with the software mayhem... and that was nothing compared to Lion.

People with Leopard (10.5.x)... not even invited to the whole "Ap Store" party. And why? Completely arbitrary, that's why. No good reason at all, other than they wanted to push Snow Leopard and subseqently Lion.

Want to complain about it? Go to Apple's feedback page, and select your OS. Your options are Snow Leopard and Lion. They don't even what to HEAR from you if you haven't bought a new OS from them.

I could go on, but suffice it to say, that while Apple has indeed done well, particularly in the hardware area, perfect it most certainly is not. I can only hope that with new management, someone there will remember that people who bought new machines 4 years ago are still potential customers, and perhaps its not all that bright an idea to kick them in a down economy for no good reason at all.

Seriously? Microsoft doesn't support XP with IE9. They won't with their application store either. Heck, they won't even be supporting Vista with IE10 when it comes out. These companies want you to upgrade to the latest OS because service can then be streamlined. I wouldn't say that's Apple's fault, it's very common industry-wide and simple human nature. Spend the $30 for Snow Leopard, it's worth it.
  • Reply 75 of 222
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:

But the original criticism was warranted, it basically was a giant ipod Touch at launch and Apple improved the iPad immensely since then. They launched a tablet that initially couldn't even multitask. Now it's world class leading product.

You are full of it! I use my original iPad every day and did so out of the box on the day of release. Your ignorance is typical though profound! I'm so sorry that a man in his last days and years had to persevere these fools. Great minds however, have always suffered such ignorance.

The iPhone is now the subject of this B.S. The first product of its kind, it will for ever be recognised for its revolutionary capabilities.

Stick the trolls on the ignore list and be done with!
  • Reply 76 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

it opened the door to the future that the iPad has become, dummy. some of us were smart enuff to see that coming - as it did fairly quickly - while the boo-birds obsessed on what it hadn't done yet that second. that is always the Apple story, which is DED's point.

Siri is the same today - it's a beta! do you think Apple is going to stop here in terms of what it can do? get a clue!

No fool -most of us waited for an iPad 2 with cameras, speed and thinness and let you beta testers pave our way.

Ca-Ching!
  • Reply 77 of 222
    lomlom Posts: 9member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

How was it warranted? Did the reviewers spend a lot of time with it? Nope. Then all of sudden when the competitors started copying Apple's approach, they declare each one an iPad killer without having using the devices.

Well said.
  • Reply 78 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntson View Post

Everyone is still missing the point. The media was right then and they would still be right if they stuck to their guns. Steve managed to sell something that is not as useful as something else he could shave sold. Imagine he came out with an iPad that ran a real OS and all that other shit. That would have been to everyone's expectations. Still, despite the large adoption, it does so little and he has somehow managed to force people to accept less.

Breathtaking! One last time - you obviously have no idea of the complexities of engineering at these scales. The iPad has always run the very best (consumer but not only) operating system that exists today. Further, both the hardware and OS have always been fully multi-tasking (in response to similar posts). Cut the crap or get lost!
  • Reply 79 of 222
    Quote:

So in the meantime you're satisfied to go run and turn on your Mac to view something that your iPod won't allow??? Or do you simply deem it unworthy?

No, I have Click2Flash on the Macs -- if it's in Flash only, I can't waste my time watching it...

Very few things left that are Flash only...

And I avoid all those imbecillic, irritating ads...
  • Reply 80 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

WRONG. It was awesome from DAY 1. I bought one on day 1 and I don't ever recall being let down. I was amazed from day 1. Multi-tasking? Whatever.

As for the "big iPod" comment. That is such a stupid criticism. That's like saying a swimming pool is "just a big bathtub".

Exactly!