iPhone used to record parts of 'The Avengers'

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
It was revealed on Thursday that the cinematographer filming 'The Avengers' used an iPhone to shoot footage for the upcoming high-budget film.

The Irish Film and Television Network reported that Oscar-nominated cinematographer Seamus McGarvey, in his first big-budget action film, used Apple?s smartphone instead of high-priced equipment for certain shots in the super-hero blockbuster.

?On 'The Avengers,' I did a couple of shots on the iPhone and they are in the movie,? McGarvey said. ?In fact they are in the trailer!?

McGarvey did not specify which shots were taken by the handset, and failed to identify which model was used to record the scenes, though only two iPhones with video recording capabilities were available during principle shooting in April. Unless the cinematographer had early access to Apple's recently released iPhone 4S, the footage comes from either the iPhone 3GS, which has a 3-megapixel rear-facing camera or the 5-megapixel, 720p HD-capable iPhone 4.

Detailing his decision to use the iPhone, McGarvey explained that he didn?t make a compromise when choosing the handset, saying that "every piece of kit should be tailored to what you're trying to achieve." He goes on to underscore that camera equipment does not define a film, but rather the decisions made with what is available.

?I understand that sometimes there is no choice and you have to go for the cheapest option, but if you are limited for choice, you can still make poignant decisions that will effect the look of the film,? he said.

McGarvey's previous films include relatively low-budget dramas like 'Atonement,' 'Charlotte's Web' and 'The World Trade Center.' He notes that working on 'The Avengers' was a vast change from his previous work, bringing more money and thus more sophisticated equipment to the project.

'The Avengers' will be released on May 4, 2012.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    After a movie shoot entirely with an iPhone won best short at Berlin International Film Festival, unHollyWood woke up.

Now cell phones are contributing for art?

: Times are changing.

: Indeed!
  • Reply 2 of 45
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

?On 'The Avengers,' I did a couple of shots on the iPhone and they are in the movie,? McGarvey said. ?In fact they are in the trailer!?

McGarvey did not specify which shots were taken by the handset,

They've got to be the shots of the Hulk. They are the only low-res shots in the trailer.
  • Reply 3 of 45
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    I would imagine an iPhone 4S would make a good movie shooting phone, although my iPhone 4 had HRD capabilities. I am quite impressed with the quality of a mere 4MP phone camera with a small aperture. I can only imagine the 4S and its larger aperture and what its capable of. I have got to get one of these 4S phones. I also have to mention the highly anticipated iPhone 5. It will have larger screen and redesigned home button. Along with a better camera possibly 10 MP. And how do I know this. I am speculating. If you think about it. Apple always out does its previous designs. So it would only make sense. Thinner, larger screen, better Megapixels, higher bandwidth, more powerful A6 processor dual core not quad and higher resolution screen.
  • Reply 4 of 45
    Probably used as the crash cam for the explosions close up.
  • Reply 5 of 45
    bcodebcode Posts: 141member
    If I had to guess which clip it was, I'd say it was the cut at 47 seconds... it plays for about a second.
  • Reply 6 of 45
    I'd guess about 1:15 to 1:20 into the trailer.
  • Reply 7 of 45
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Apple and Marvel -a dream team.

D.C. - made for Droid.
  • Reply 8 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post

Apple and Marvel -a dream team.

D.C. - made for Droid.

Seems fair, but can we petition for Batman to defect to the Marvel universe so he doesn't have to be surrounded by complete and utter garbage? He is the only thing keeping DC relevant anymore.
  • Reply 9 of 45
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Expect more of this.

Chatted with a guy that used his iPhone for B Roll for doing arial shots. Now with 1080 I expect to see more use of iPhones
  • Reply 10 of 45
    I'm sure it is the first shot of Thor outside with the sun behind him
  • Reply 11 of 45
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

Seems fair, but can we petition for Batman to defect to the Marvel universe so he doesn't have to be surrounded by complete and utter garbage? He is the only thing keeping DC relevant anymore.

Definitely. I watched some of Green Lantern- how painful was that?
  • Reply 12 of 45
    LOL. Watch out, RED. Here comes iPhone!
  • Reply 13 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lucasland View Post

I'm sure it is the first shot of Thor outside with the sun behind him

That was my guess too
  • Reply 14 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrENGLISH? View Post

That was my guess too

agree with backlit Thor shot...he said a couple..so i was looking at :37 when the comic book image supered...there's another Thor shot at :50, but it looks like lots of CG work going on and not sure about it..
  • Reply 15 of 45
    I was thinking it was at :17 - :18 in with those shaky shots.
  • Reply 16 of 45
    Actually 'The Avengers' is a British TV series and movie.

As in the trailer itself its called 'Avengers'.
  • Reply 17 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

They've got to be the shots of the Hulk. They are the only low-res shots in the trailer.

I got it! The Hulk was actually standing in front of a camera. Great!
  • Reply 18 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Expect more of this.

Chatted with a guy that used his iPhone for B Roll for doing arial shots. Now with 1080 I expect to see more use of iPhones

Yes, but the iPhone doesn't support 24p recording. How do they convert 30p to 24p?
  • Reply 19 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Yes, but the iPhone doesn't support 24p recording. How do they convert 30p to 24p?

There is some method for that but I don't remember exactly how it's done. I suppose they drop every fifth frame.
  • Reply 20 of 45
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I'm not sure that's a compliment to the iPhone so much as it is showing lack of care/professionalism in making the movie. But if it was done for artistic effect I suppose that would be ok.