Steve Jobs was ?annoyed and depressed? over initial reaction to iPad launch

Comments

• Reply 81 of 222
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post

No it's not- what did it do that the iPod Touch couldn't? Except display larger images?

Did you understand his comment - obviously, yes obviously, not!
  • Reply 82 of 222
    lomlom Posts: 9member
    Quote:

No it's not- what did it do that the iPod Touch couldn't? Except display larger images?

THAT alone makes a world of difference, because the iPod touch is SUCH an incredible device. I'd thought I didn't need one, but somehow ended up with one, and it changed my life traveling. A large screen alone could and did alter the device completely. And did not have to make it better either, made it suitable for entirely different uses.
  • Reply 83 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

You had to have an iPad 1 to have an iPad 2.

This is so true. The success of the first iPad vindicated Apple's (Steve Jobs') approach and validated further development of the art.
  • Reply 84 of 222
    Actually, I remember right after the January 2010 unveiling of the iPad, opinion was bifurcated: you either thought the iPad was the next gotta-have Apple product, or you dismissed it as a "giant iPod Touch." When it finally hit the market a few months later, enough people put their money where their mouth was to make it the fastest selling Apple product in history, up to that point in time. So much for the "no one will pay for a giant iPod Touch" theory.

Companies who thought the tablet market was all played out with the failure of Microsoft's UMPC suddenly sat up and took notice. And iPad's initial success (for the first 5 months) was with iOS 3.2. So much for the "multitasking made it competitive" theory; iPad was kicking ass FROM THE START.
  • Reply 85 of 222
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntson View Post

Everyone is still missing the point. The media was right then and they would still be right if they stuck to their guns. Steve managed to sell something that is not as useful as something else he could shave sold. Imagine he came out with an iPad that ran a real OS and all that other shit. That would have been to everyone's expectations. Still, despite the large adoption, it does so little and he has somehow managed to force people to accept less.

What absolute bullshit. If you want the full functionality of a compeer, then buy a fk'n computer. Like the brilliant MB Air. The iPad is a completely different device that serves to deliver digital content, along with apps, and do so at a specific price point. To load a full OS and do the work of a full computer, you would be at a totally different price point and user profile. The iPad is for people who want an easy to hold and carry, AND EASY TO USE, device for their iOS apps and digital content. It's also for people who don't want the hassles of a full featured computer yet can still access the internet and email, etc.
  • Reply 86 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntson View Post

Everyone is still missing the point. The media was right then and they would still be right if they stuck to their guns. Steve managed to sell something that is not as useful as something else he could shave sold. Imagine he came out with an iPad that ran a real OS and all that other shit. That would have been to everyone's expectations. Still, despite the large adoption, it does so little and he has somehow managed to force people to accept less.

What you don't see is that iPad enables people who would have never used computers and use iPad to connect and play.

My two year olds (twins) can pick up the iPad and find the app they want to play. I sat them at front of the computer and their little hands just can't control the mouse. They did not "get" the mouse.
  • Reply 87 of 222
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:

No fool -most of us waited for an iPad 2 with cameras, speed and thinness and let you beta testers pave our way.

Ca-Ching!

well, you're game, i'll give you that. but the whole point of this article/thread is how many - including you - missed the vision at the beginning.
  • Reply 88 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Actually, I remember right after the January 2010 unveiling of the iPad, opinion was bifurcated: you either thought the iPad was the next gotta-have Apple product, or you dismissed it as a "giant iPod Touch." When it finally hit the market a few months later, enough people put their money where their mouth was to make it the fastest selling Apple product in history, up to that point in time. So much for the "no one will pay for a giant iPod Touch" theory.

Companies who thought the tablet market was all played out with the failure of Microsoft's UMPC suddenly sat up and took notice. And iPad's initial success (for the first 5 months) was with iOS 3.2. So much for the "multitasking made it competitive" theory; iPad was kicking ass FROM THE START.

I didn't think I was getting one at first, I just stopped by the store to play with it a bit. After I play with it for 5 minutes, I "got" it. The size was perfect, and the battery lasts longer than the laptops.
  • Reply 89 of 222
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

But the original criticism was warranted, it basically was a giant ipod Touch at launch and Apple improved the iPad immensely since then. They launched a tablet that initially couldn't even multitask. Now it's world class leading product.

The media criticism was warranted, and still is. It still isn't much more than a big iPod Touch. Lucky for Apple, there are millions of people for whom a big iPod Touch is just what they want.
  • Reply 90 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

But the original criticism was warranted, it basically was a giant ipod Touch at launch

And that was part of why many folks wanted it. They loved what the iPod Touch could do but wished it had a bigger screen.

They got their wish and bought it in droves

Compared to the media who were looking at it as a computer and could only see what it didn't do as such. One would think that using iOS on it would have clued them in that it wasn't designed to be a computer and do all things computer. But they didn't catch the clue
  • Reply 91 of 222
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

No. This is historical revisionism you are indulging in here.

The "missing multi-tasking" is a function of the OS not the iPad and was available within a month of it's launch anyway. The iPad sold like gangbusters from day one regardless of that fact. It wasn't hobbled, missing any parts, or incomplete in any way.

You are right, Prof. People have very selective and short memories. The article is absolutely correct. Go back and visit this forum from the time following the original launch for illustration. I was amazed at the resistance and lack of foresight members displayed. Sometimes the hostility was palpable. The 'giant iPod' criticism was bandied about left and right without realizing how very cool and brilliant (and different) that would be. The lack of multitasking was blown out of the water.
  • Reply 92 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fyngyrz View Post

With Lion, Apple dropped PPC emulation -- completely arbitrarily -- thus throwing a whole generation of otherwise perfectly good -- and working well -- software in the trash.

Actually they didn't. The move to requiring Rosetta was a major clue to anyone that was paying attention that PPC apps weren't natively supported. And they were very up front that the emulation was gone when Lion was announced.

As for your 'whole generation' comment, pretty much every major company had stopped making PPC versions of their apps way before Lion. It's not their or Apple's fault if folks didn't buy the updates
  • Reply 93 of 222
    Quote:

Well. There really isnt any reason now with an A5 processor we at least can't have an option to turn on or off Flash. Lack of Flash does cripple the device somewhat.

How many sites have Flash that don't either have a HTML5 based mobile version or a free app.
  • Reply 94 of 222
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

What you don't see is that iPad enables people who would have never used computers and use iPad to connect and play.

My two year olds (twins) can pick up the iPad and find the app they want to play. I sat them at front of the computer and their little hands just can't control the mouse. They did not "get" the mouse.

Quite. I rember arguing here that the iPhone os was the first truly user friendly OS. As such it was and is huge. Truly the great equalizer.
  • Reply 95 of 222
    Quote:

Wait til Cook gives the Mac blu- ray,

Licensing is expensive, complicated and it would eat until their digital sales

Quote:

3D screens

flash in the pan item that hasn't really taken off for video. unlikely they are going to force those hideous glasses on folks to use their computer

Quote:

and matte options on the iMac.

Sales of the glossy iMac as well as the matte option on the notebooks will likely show that folks aren't really that keen on the matte and don't deem it as vital so the best you might get is an option to custom order it on the 27 inch iMac since that is the more likely 'business' model in the line up. But never in stores
  • Reply 96 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

I think Licensing KILLS the urge of innovation as a vehicle for survival.

Licensing IS bad for start-ups.

?

: Confused? Let me explain. Anyone can build a business to compete with Apple, but how would you compete with Microsoft or Google?

Still confused?

: Google and Microsoft hide under the cartel that sells their OS. How can a start ups compete against the almighty cartels that sell Android and Microsoft OS.

Probably you'll never got it. Apple = today Germany, while Microsoft and now Google = USA current economic model, where cheap is cherished, because it allows easy market-share grab.

Sorry dude, BMW's break down too much. AAPL > Germany
  • Reply 97 of 222
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

(I am posting this without reading this story or other similar ones.)

Enough with the marketing drip, drip, drip. I'd rather wait for the book to learn all about it.

See, now I'm just the opposite .... I enjoy previews. How about we do this. I'll continue to read all the previews .... that will keep me happy, and you can just ignore them. That will keep you happy, no? As they say at Staples .... "That was easy."
  • Reply 98 of 222
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

How many sites have Flash that don't either have a HTML5 based mobile version or a free app.

Most of the sites that my wife and my daughter are even remotely interested in. Neither of them even bother with our iPad at all anymore because it's seldom capable of doing what they want.
  • Reply 99 of 222
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

I get that this is news and that AI wants to report on this, but I'd kinda like to read the book without feeling like I'm going into a movie knowing how it's going to end, in a manner of speaking.

We all know "how this movie ends" .... and it's sad as hell. Think of the book as the "color commentator". We Know the story .... now tell us in more detail.
  • Reply 100 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Most of the sites that my wife and my daughter are even remotely interested in. Neither of them even bother with our iPad at all anymore because it's seldom capable of doing what they want.

That's just it right? If you had truly productive tasks to perform, to which a tablet computer were suited, you wouldn't be sprouting this b.s. All you are interested in, according to your own words, are web sites that rely on the laziness of flash to entertain. Go grab a netbook then and don't clutter up this thread!