Jobs trusted Cook to "know exactly what to do"

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Excerpts from Steve Jobs' upcoming biography have been leaked online, giving new insight into the relationship between the Apple co-founder his eventual successor.

Jobs' authorized biography, written by Walter Isaacson, will officially be released on Oct. 24, however various publications have already obtained copies and are posting excerpts from it on their respective websites, the most recent being a Bloomberg report on Tim Cook's history with Apple and his relationship with Jobs.

Cook joined the company in 1998, after being lured away from Compaq Computer, Bloomberg reports, and quickly earned the trust of Jobs, who had recently taken back control of the company he helped create after being ousted 12 years earlier.

"My intuition told me that joining Apple would be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to work for a creative genius,? Cook said. ?Engineers are taught to make a decision analytically, but there are times when relying on gut or intuition is most indispensable.?

When Jobs first returned in 1997, he oversaw Apple's supply chain, though he handed that facet of the business over to Cook in order to focus on a broader strategy for the company.

"I trusted him to know exactly what to do," Jobs told Walter Isaacson, author of the biography. He went on to say that the two shared the same vision, allowing them to work together at a "high strategic level."

Before Cook took over the supply chain, Jobs was attempting to change the way Apple handled manufacturing by building "just-in-time" factories, where products are built as orders come in, limiting overstock of inventory. His goal was to make the company leaner and more agile, and he entrusted Cook to get the job done.

When Cook took over the supply chain, he cut the number of component suppliers from 100 to 24, in a move to force the companies to compete for Apple's business. Cook then shut down 10 of the 19 company warehouses to limit overstocking, and by September 1998 inventory was down from a month to only six days.

According to Bloomberg, the book paints a picture of Cook as Jobs' ideal counterpart because he was calm, decisive and didn't want to be in the public eye. Part of Cook's success at Apple was his ability to know when to disagree with Jobs, reports Bloomberg.

"I realized very early on that if you didn't express your opinion, he would mow you down," Cook said. "He takes contrary positions to create more discussion, because it may lead to a better result."

As it became more clear that a successor was needed to head the world's most valuable tech company, Cook began to take on more responsibility as a leader, and oversaw Apple's day-to-day business during Jobs' three medical leaves.

In 2009, with Jobs on leave for a liver transplant, Cook said during a conference call that Apple would thrive no matter who was in charge.

Tim Cook talks with Steve Jobs | Source: SiliconAngle

When Jobs heard Cook's remarks, Isaacson wrote, he didn't know whether to be "proud or hurt that it might be true."

At the time of his resignation in August, the Apple co-founder wrote in a public letter to the board of directors that Cook should be his successor.

"I knew what I wanted and I met Tim, and he wanted the same thing," Jobs said.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    Skip article. Wait for book.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    It's been said before, but Apple is in good hands.

It's not surprising to me that Apple has been so successful lately. They're truly hitting on all cylinders, from beginning to end:

-Jony Ive arguably leads the most brilliant design team in consumer electronics

-Apple uses its cash to secure cheap, dependable supply chains

-Corporate secrecy feeds curiosity, surprise, etc. about Apple's releases

-As the article mentioned, their system of inventory is very lean

-Apple's keynotes are the gold standard. They're clear, well-rehearsed, and fun. Steve will be missed of course \

-Their success in retail is the stuff of legends. Record-setting profit margins per square foot.

-Customer satisfaction and support have been topping competitors for over 6 years. ~90%+satisfaction

On top of all that, they're pioneering new fields or invigorating old ones, never content. Repeat cycle.
  • Reply 3 of 36
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

It's not surprising to me that Apple has been so successful lately. They're truly hitting on all cylinders, from beginning to end:

-Apple's keynotes are the gold standard. They're clear, well-rehearsed, and fun. Steve will be missed of course \

-Their success in retail is the stuff of legends. Record-setting profit margins per square foot.

-Customer satisfaction and support have been topping competitors for over 6 years. ~90%+satisfaction

On top of all that, they're pioneering new fields or invigorating old ones, never content. Repeat cycle.

Yup - At this point Apple is well and truly in control of its destiny. Long may they stay sharp, hungry and on their toes.
  • Reply 4 of 36
    I can't believe this has happened so soon.

It wasn't Steve Jobs' time to leave this earth yet.
  • Reply 5 of 36
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    I have a feeling I'm going to be on an emotional rollercoaster while reading this book.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I have a feeling I'm going to be on an emotional rollercoaster while reading this book.

Ditto
  • Reply 7 of 36
    I'll bet the farm on a guess that the last chapter of the book is titled: One More Thing...

If so, I'd jerk a tear.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Just make sure you keep a box of tissues nearby
  • Reply 9 of 36
    Quote:

+1

Nice summary.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    How about that picture of Tim and Steve. You can see the serious nature of Steve Jobs in his face. Imagine Steve looking at you that serious. Wow. I saw the iPhone 4S keynote with Tim and he seemed very much in control and very professional. I say we have our selves a rock solid CEO on our hands. Also he is a health nut. No worries there. I see at least 15 years of Tim Cook. And we have a great set of VP's at Apple. See you at the mother ship Steve. If you don't get it. Really, why ask!

• Reply 11 of 36
    It's still a bummer when I come to these sites each day and have to face the fact that Sj is actually dead. Honestly, I didn't think I'd think about it this much. But it's definitely made the technology world much less interesting to me, which is a bummer. I hope it gets intriguing again.
  • Reply 12 of 36
    Cook was thus a good listener who's personality knew to go with 'Job's flow'.

However there may be that next turning point to negotiate once the to do list is overtaken by current events.
  • Reply 13 of 36
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    Quote:

I have one tinny question: How can Apple depend on Samsung for its most critical component, the A4, 5 CPU? Apple is embroiled in a worldwide legal and marketing fight. Samsung are nothing by thieves of IPRs... they copy everything down to the icons, case and patents. They probably take apart the design and features of the A chips and duplicate the principles.

Apple has no real back up to the A chips. It is the most important component for the entire company. Cook is not dumb. What am I missing?
  • Reply 14 of 36
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

I have one tinny question: How can Apple depend on Samsung for its most critical component, the A4, 5 CPU? Apple is embroiled in a worldwide legal and marketing fight. Samsung are nothing by thieves of IPRs... they copy everything down to the icons, case and patents. They probably take apart the design and features of the A chips and duplicate the principles.

Apple has no real back up to the A chips. It is the most important component for the entire company. Cook is not dumb. What am I missing?

What Apple has chosen not to tell you.
  • Reply 15 of 36
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:

Well for one thing, even if Apple has decided to dump Samsung, you can't replace a company that makes 7 to 8 billion dollars of equipment for you overnight. Purchasing and manufacturing contracts must be completed, especially any prepaid contracts, then new contracts with new manufacturers, if found, must be negotiated etc. etc.

Apple products sell in the MULTI-millions, How many manufacturers, if any, could possibly ramp up to the volumes Apple would require without building new factories or at least greatly expanding their existing factories. A transition away from Samsung could easily take years to complete.

Think of the Apple's custom A5 chip as an example for a minute, How many is Apple going to need in the next 12 months? The A5 is in the iPhone4S and the iPad2 so 100 million, most likely more? Apple can't contact just any manufacturer and say I want you to start making me 2 million of my very own 'custom' chip every WEEK starting tomorrow. These things take time.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Perhaps that there is a limited number of companies that can produce the processors at the demand that Apple needs them. Apple is working on reducing its dependence on Samsung, but it can't be done over night. Apple also has long term contracts in place that Apple probably can't breach.

Quote:

• Reply 17 of 36
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    Quote:

Apple has no real back up to the A chips. It is the most important component for the entire company....

You know this for certain because....?

Do you remember the switch to Intel from Motorola for OS X? When it happened, it was revealed that Apple secretly had been building and testing the Intel version simultaneously with public Motorola version. They had their insurance in back pocket.

I'm assuming there are plenty of proto iPhones in the labs of Apple, all running different hardware and versions of iOS - 80 billion in the bank funds that kind of insurance...
  • Reply 18 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Apple also has long term contracts in place that Apple probably can't breach.

And as those contracts work both ways, neither can Samsung.

Regardless of any legal wrangling between Apple and other divisions of Samsung, Samsung Semiconductor have a legal obligation to keep supplying components to Apple until that contract is over.

Also despite all the legal action do you really think it would do Samsung any favours to lose 8 billion dollars a year in revenue? They must know that they have to compromise because they aren't going to make that difference up through Galaxy sales alone....
  • Reply 19 of 36
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 20 of 36
    Quote:

Most likely totally unrelated to Apple but I find news like this interesting:

India's Soctronics Claims 28nm Design Win

http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-n...-nm-design-win

I also think that Apple could be considering TSMC as a takeover target.