Steve Jobs had his DNA sequenced for $100K to fight cancer

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

I wonder if Steve would be still alive today if he had cancer surgery right away. From what I read on this site the cancer was just in his pancreas at the time of discovery in 2003 and had spread to other organs by time he had surgery 9 months later.

Maybe he had no testament prepared at time he learned of his condition, so he took time to manage his busines and other stuff before he go under knife. It is logical to prepare yourself for posibility that you can die during surgery.
  • Reply 42 of 53
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Wow. Gattaca. $100k circa 2010 is not too bad. $10k in 2020. $100 in 2030. Promising and scary at the same time.
  • Reply 43 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Steve authorized the biography. He even waived the right to read the book before it was published. Clearly he must have seen some value in it.

The biography will be absolutely invaluable in our modern era.
  • Reply 44 of 53
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
  • Reply 45 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

https://www.23andme.com/howitworks/

$100.

$99 plus $9/mo for at least 12 months. They also are only looking for SNPs, they aren't sequencing the DNA.
  • Reply 46 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

in mass effect 2 they still had a body that they rescued to bring shepard back to life

Yeah, but we don't know what condition that body was in, IIRC. It was in space when Sheppard died, and then it somehow didn't burn up on re-entry into the atmosphere of the planet where they found it.

With the level of technology in Mass Effect 2, all you need to clone someone would be a few cells and some brain scans, nothing more.
  • Reply 47 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

$99 plus $9/mo for at least 12 months. They also are only looking for SNPs, they aren't sequencing the DNA.

In time we'll discover the iGene polymorphism that led to Steve's success... Or, was it... something else?

"There is no gene for the human spirit"... Or is there?
  • Reply 48 of 53
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quaternio View Post

You should read up on the latest news. It is currently changing at a rate close to 10x a year; I can cite multiple sources.

I now realize that you are thinking of the amount of base pairs that can be sequenced per unit of time; that has been doubling for a long time, yes. However, time does not directly correspond to cost.

No, I'm talking cost. In the last ~4 years the cost has dropped faster than 2X--closer to 3X per year. It's been nowhere near 10X per year. Historically it's averages to about 2X per year.
  • Reply 49 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

No, I'm talking cost. In the last ~4 years the cost has dropped faster than 2X--closer to 3X per year. It's been nowhere near 10X per year. Historically it's averages to about 2X per year.

I remember almost 15 years ago for my college summer project getting my very own custom-created oligonucleotide back from the "DNA making machine". I FELT LIKE A GOD. I think it was only about 10 base pairs for PCR but it was a real OMG moment. Upon graduation though I moved into IT and never looked back. Maybe I didn't trust myself. I would have definitely run foul of the ethics committee after not very long.

Sequencing is cool but making your own DNA after punching it into the computer? That is f***ing bad ass!

They can synthesise up to 50,000 bp for about $0.25 a bp now. For the non-bio geeks basically it was equivalent to feeling like I was on the cutting edge even though I had "only" 640k of RAM.
  • Reply 50 of 53
    BTW the Genentech guy (Art Levinson) is on Apple's board, and in fact left Google, not Apple, when Google-Apple-Schmidt thingies went awry in 2009.

In the biotech world, at least while I was in college, Art and people like Craig Venter were the go-to guys when it came to DNA biotechnology.

I obviously haven't read the articles and what not since I want to read the biography as spoiler-free as possible, I'm curious what expertise Steve drew on, and what role, if any, Art Levinson played.

Art was also, as mentioned, on the Google board, but stayed on at Apple after leaving the Google board. He was more trusted, perhaps?

(I know, something is funky with my grammar today)
  • Reply 51 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diddy View Post

Unfortunately without a time machine we cannot know for sure.

Apple sells one.
  • Reply 52 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I remember almost 15 years ago for my college summer project getting my very own custom-created oligonucleotide back from the "DNA making machine". I FELT LIKE A GOD. I think it was only about 10 base pairs for PCR but it was a real OMG moment. Upon graduation though I moved into IT and never looked back. Maybe I didn't trust myself. I would have definitely run foul of the ethics committee after not very long.

Sequencing is cool but making your own DNA after punching it into the computer? That is f***ing bad ass!

They can synthesise up to 50,000 bp for about $0.25 a bp now. For the non-bio geeks basically it was equivalent to feeling like I was on the cutting edge even though I had "only" 640k of RAM.

WTF is that Objective-C to DNA compiler? I got some stuff to code
  • Reply 53 of 53
    I looked through the book for this info and found only one reference to genome sequencing, and it was partial. Many people have had partial genome sequencing done. And more than 20 people have had their entire genome sequenced. Chalk this up as another misunderstanding by Isaacson (the list is increasing, as I read more).