I want a 4G iPhone.....

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
But what's the point if I have data caps? I like using my Nexus 4G (and Vibrant before that)....but data caps I can enjoy life. Again, it's pointless with such a small cap....no? (100GB cap is better). Even if they release a 4GLTE edition....I'm gonna hit that cap as soon as I turn on the phone!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    You can cap me all you want, telecoms. But I'll never buy a smartphone if I'm forced to have a data plan.

I don't care how low your cap is, I don't care that you think you can collude on prices and throttle our speed and cap our service.

You will never get my business if I'm forced to pay for a data plan.

Simple as that.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    What data caps?... I have unlimited data over 3G.

Ahhh... it pays to be an "early adopter"
  • Reply 3 of 22
    linkgx1linkgx1 Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

What data caps?... I have unlimited data over 3G.

Ahhh... it pays to be an "early adopter"

Dang, and I just swtiched to ATT from sprint (Att network is SOOOO MUCH better, so it's working.).
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

Dang, and I just swtiched to ATT from sprint (Att network is SOOOO MUCH better, so it's working.).

<-- also with AT&T. I frequently find myself using the Internet while talking on the phone ... But if I'm not mistaken, VZ can do that if you're in range of their 4G network, right? (IF the phone you're using is 4G.)
  • Reply 5 of 22
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You can cap me all you want, telecoms. But I'll never buy a smartphone if I'm forced to have a data plan.

I don't care how low your cap is, I don't care that you think you can collude on prices and throttle our speed and cap our service.

Simple as that.

so you don't own an iPhone....
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

... yet he constantly comments about them ... or ... has an unlocked iPhone on TMob. (for what that's worth.)

• Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:

Of course I do. I just don't use it as one.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:

Same here. I also have an Indy Racer that sits in my drive.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Quote:

Simple as that.

If more people get smart phones, what is the answer? Do the cell companies just keep charging more for their data plans or is there a technological answer in the future?

This is where I feel we could have looked to Steve for a solution.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheShepherd View Post

Same here. I also have an Indy Racer that sits in my drive.

*sigh*

I won it on Day One 2007, I couldn't afford a plan then, can't afford one now. Didn't see a point to mobile data then, still don't see a point to it. I don't live or work anywhere that doesn't have Wi-Fi.

There's my story. Yours, while obviously fallacious, can't be used against me because Indy cars aren't street legal anyway. OF COURSE it's just going to sit in your driveway.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheShepherd View Post

If more people get smart phones, what is the answer? Do the cell companies just keep charging more for their data plans or is there a technological answer in the future?

They increase bandwidth. I'm obviously missing something hugely important, because this isn't a difficult concept to grasp. For frick's sake, even invertebrates understand this concept: if the hole isn't big enough to fit through, find a bigger hole or dig to make the hole bigger.

Are the telecoms seriously braindead? Do they not think they're under the same laws and expectations as ground-based ISPs? When more people bought DSL at the turn of the century, ISPs didn't throttle them, cap their usage, or kick their prices sky high.

THEY BUILT MORE INFRASTRUCTURE. So DSL (on ISPs that aren't also telecoms) is still unthrottled, uncapped, and the prices KEEP GOING DOWN as the speeds KEEP GOING UP.

But GayT&T (and that's as far as I'll go with names for the telecoms?) thinks they can cap home DSL at 150GB. And Comcast thinks they can throttle and report people who use torrents, regardless of their content.

Screw 'em. Forever. I use CenturyLink; they're decent.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:

But that is NOT what you said. I don't think AT&T or Verizon will let you buy an smart phone without a data plan. Data plans are REQUIRED to buy an iPhone!

You said this:

"You can cap me all you want, telecoms. But I'll never buy a smartphone if I'm forced to have a data plan.

Simple as that."

So the take away is you don't have a iPhone unless you somehow have it activated illegally or jail-broken. Because if you have an iPhone on ATT&T or Verizon they will require a data plan when you activate the device.......whether you intend to 'use it that way" or not.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Quote:

But that is NOT what you said. I don't think AT&T or Verizon will let you buy an smart phone without a data plan. Data plans are REQUIRED to buy an iPhone!

No. That's completely wrong and has been since the iPhone first came out.

Quote:

you don't have a iPhone

I love how you think you can say that. I really, really do. It's hilarious.

Quote:

activated illegally

Uh, there's no such thing?

Quote:

?if you have an iPhone on ATT&T? ?they will require a data plan

That's also completely false. I just don't have AT&T nor do I live in a place they have service. So I'm still stuck.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    [QUOTE=Tallest Skil;1972647]*sigh*

I won it on Day One 2007, I couldn't afford a plan then, can't afford one now. Didn't see a point to mobile data then, still don't see a point to it. I don't live or work anywhere that doesn't have Wi-Fi.

There's my story. Yours, while obviously fallacious, can't be used against me because Indy cars aren't street legal anyway. OF COURSE it's just going to sit in your driveway.

You're right, no smartphone yet. Just got cell phone service at home 2 years ago (though have had a cell phone since 1992). No 3G even , the independant cell co. says 3G in December.

I agree, can't see paying for data plan when I have fiber to the home and can use free WiFi in town. But do like all the tech stuff the new phones have. Don't care which flavor the phone is, I like competition. I drive Ford pickups, neighbors drive Chevys & Dodges. We hassle each other on which is best, but not vicious like some of these tech sites get.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:

Quote:

No. That's completely wrong and has been since the iPhone first came out.

I love how you think you can say that. I really, really do. It's hilarious.

Uh, there's no such thing?

That's also completely false. I just don't have AT&T nor do I live in a place they have service. So I'm still stuck.

You are taking quotes out of context...and you know this to narrow the scope of the conversation.

Are you saying that you have an iPhone? But you don't have a data plan with it? Who is your telecom? If you don't have ATT&T then who do you have with your iphone without a data plan?

It is that simple.....because with either carrier I can show they have a DATA PLAN REQUIREMENT for their service. This is really not hard to grasp. Any other claims and you are talking out your..... well you know the rest....
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Quote:

Are you saying that you have an iPhone?

Yes.

Quote:

But you don't have a data plan with it?

I don't have any plan with it.

Quote:

Who is your telecom?

Well, I have an O2 Ireland SIM in it right now, but there are only like 2 Euro cents on it and I'm in the U.S. anyway, so that does me no good. They still send me texts all the time, which is hilarious.

Quote:

If you don't have ATT&T then who do you have with your iphone without a data plan?

AT&T allows 1st gen iPhones to be used without a data plan.

Quote:

This is really not hard to grasp.

Nor is the idea that I have an iPhone.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:

You are taking quotes out of context...and you know this to narrow the scope of the conversation.

Are you saying that you have an iPhone? But you don't have a data plan with it? Who is your telecom? If you don't have ATT&T then who do you have with your iphone without a data plan?

It is that simple.....because with either carrier I can show they have a DATA PLAN REQUIREMENT for their service. This is really not hard to grasp. Any other claims and you are talking out your..... well you know the rest....

My carrier sell iphones with no data plan also and theyalso allow you to use any unlocked phone you chose.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:

Yes.

I don't have any plan with it.

Well, I have an O2 Ireland SIM in it right now, but there are only like 2 Euro cents on it and I'm in the U.S. anyway, so that does me no good. They still send me texts all the time, which is hilarious.

AT&T allows 1st gen iPhones to be used without a data plan.

Nor is the idea that I have an iPhone.

That is hilarious.....since ATT&T requires data plans...

But you might be right that if you have the 1st generation iPhone it might not require a data plan.

Knowing what phone and what experiences come with that will allow me to put your comments about the iPhone in perspective.......

http://www.businessweek.com/the_thre...o_require.html

Oh and Verizon too...

http://technologizer.com/2008/11/03/...n-smartphones/
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:

...since ATT&T requires data plans?

Except on the first-gen.

Quote:

Knowing what phone and what experiences come with that will allow me to put your comments about the iPhone in perspective

Enjoy. I said absolutely nothing about Verizon. And the first-gen iPhone doesn't require a data plan.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:

Except on the first-gen.

Enjoy. I said absolutely nothing about Verizon. And the first-gen iPhone doesn't require a data plan.

Maybe...that hasn't been confirmed.......threw Verizon in just for grins :-) So you you just use the non US sim card in it for voice and wifi for data....so you have no experiences with high speed data connection through cellular or iPhone (or any phone that requires a data plan). It puts your comments about the iPhone completely in perspective now...all those comments. You have no real comparison since you only have a 1st gen iphone with no data plan..... Do you own other current generation Apple products?
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Quote:

So you you just use the non US sim card in it for voice and wifi for data?.

I DON'T HAVE A PLAN WITH IT AT ALL. Pay attention. I have no plan with it. None whatsoever. I use it as an everything-but-a-phone. I will likely never be able to use it as anything but an everything-but-a-phone. I'm speaking of the FUTURE and any FUTURE iPhone purchases I may make. Those would only happen if I was not forced into a data plan on FUTURE iPhones.

I still don't understand why you're arguing something that 1: has nothing to do with anything in the present and 2: has nothing to do with anyone's wishes, either in this thread or otherwise.