Steve Jobs biography arrives early on Amazon's Kindle

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The much-anticipated authorized biography on Apple co-founder Steve Jobs has arrived a few hours early for customers who purchased the book through Amazon's Kindle ebook platform or the iBookstore [updated].

Readers looking to get a head start on reading "Steve Jobs" by Walter Isaacson can purchase the Kindle version to read, as multiple AppleInsider readers report that the book has been downloaded to their Kindle-compatible devices.

Updated: Downloads of the book from Apple's own iBookstore have now begun, with the title now listed for purchase instead of preorder.

Due to the unprecedented level of candor Jobs extended to Isaacson, the book has already made plenty of waves ahead of its public release, which was moved up to Oct. 24 after Jobs passed away on Oct. 5. The author released early details of the book, including the airing of excerps from exclusive taped conversations with Jobs, in an interview with 60 Minutes that aired on Sunday evening.

An early review of the book by The New York Times described it as "an encyclopedic survey of all that Mr. Jobs accomplished?replete with the passion and excitement that it deserves."

For its part, Apple paid tribute to Jobs in a companywide celebration of his life last week. The company published the full 80-minute video of the event on its website on Sunday.

To read more about the "Steve Jobs" biography, see AppleInsider's previous coverage on the book:

Steve Jobs trusted Tim Cook to "know exactly what to do"

Steve Jobs was ?annoyed and depressed? over initial reaction to iPad launch

Steve Jobs told biographer he 'cracked' the secret to a simple HDTV

Steve Jobs had his DNA sequenced for $100K to fight cancer

Steve Jobs left designer Jony Ive more power than anyone at Apple

Biographer tells how Steve Jobs regretted delaying cancer treatment

Steve Jobs vowed to 'destroy' Google Android, called it a 'stolen product'

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    ramkramk Posts: 13member
    i already got my copy of Steve's Biography through Kindle Book store
  • Reply 2 of 29
    Not available in the US quite yet on Google Books.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

Not available in the US quite yet on Google Books.

If Steve were alive today, he would be so proud to read that.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    The hardcover edition is cheaper than the Kindle edition!
  • Reply 5 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

If Steve were alive today, he would be so proud to read that.

Who cares what Steve Jobs thinks. iOS, Android, who cares...besides the fanboys on this site.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by openminded View Post

Who cares what Steve Jobs thinks. iOS, Android, who cares...besides the fanboys on this site.

I said nothing about Android, I was referring to Google Books, Mr. Openminded.

To me, it's not about fanboyism. It's about paying homage and respect to the man who, arguably, enabled every CE device to be as advanced and intuitive as they are today. I would think an openminded member of the fandroid community would admit to that, also. If you truly are openminded but can't see that or don't feel that way, you should change your handle.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    Quote:

I said nothing about Android, I was referring to Google Books, Mr. Openminded.

To me, it's not about fanboyism. It's about paying homage and respect to the man who, arguably, enabled every CE device to be as advanced and intuitive as they are today. I would think an openminded member of the fandroid community would admit to that, also. If you truly are openminded but can't see that or don't feel that way, you should change your handle.

Seriously?

Are you really implying that I shouldn't buy the book via Google out of respect for Steve?
  • Reply 8 of 29
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Seriously?

Are you really implying that I shouldn't buy the book via Google out of respect for Steve?

You did write Google Books, not Google eBookstore. Seems to me you are looking for free access to the book. You can do as you wish but don't deny you're stealing from the author and publisher by circumventing copyright laws.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You did write Google Books, not Google eBookstore. Seems to me you are looking for free access to the book. You can do as you wish but don't deny you're stealing from the author and publisher by circumventing copyright laws.

What? Implying I wasn't going to buy it. Implying that there's another reason to go onto Google Books other than to read the books that I purchase.

• Reply 10 of 29
    Quote:

Seriously?

Forget it, man, you just don't get it.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    I pre-ordered the book through iTunes last week. Then when I checked tonight to see if it was there, it was not. The label on the Store was changed to Buy, so I figured when I tried to buy it, it would say you have already purchased, but it didn't. I stopped the sale before it completed. What gives? Don't want to buy it then find out I bought it twice.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    Quote:

Forget it, man, you just don't get it.

No. Please explain. I'm buying this book via Google Books and all the sudden it's frowned upon because.... why? It's not an apple service?
  • Reply 13 of 29
    Quote:

No. Please explain. I'm buying this book via Google Books and all the sudden it's frowned upon because.... why? It's not an apple service?

Like I said, you don't get it and I'm not going to debate it or try to convince you of my reasoning. You have your own reasons and I have mine so exercise your right and make the choice that suits you.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    I preordered, got my email confirmation this morning from Apple. Click the link they send, iBooks launches and then...... Sweet F*ck All. Check my purchased list, it doesn't show there. Worried about buying another copy from iBooks unless I get billed again so I've emailed Apple support.

My wife preordered her copy from Amazon, opens up the Kindle app this morning and the book automatically downloads.

Come on Apple get your shit together, I've had a pathetic experience today.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bansal98 View Post

The Hardcover version is $17.88 - the Kindle edition is $16.99

http://www.amazon.com/Steve-Jobs-Wal...9452598&sr=8-1

I got it late last night, Kindle edition.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    I don't understand why you would pre-order an electronic book. Does it save you some money?

Got my NOOK Books copy of Steve Jobs this morning and I'm reading it on my iPod touch 1st Gen.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

I don't understand why you would pre-order an electronic book. Does it save you some money?

Got my NOOK Books copy of Steve Jobs this morning and I'm reading it on my iPod touch 1st Gen.

Simply pre ordered it because I was on the iBook store anyway and it was supposed to be one less thinig to do.

Sadly Apple cocked it up, how they managed it I don't know but they did.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    1) insert coin

2) avoid klingons

marvelous !
  • Reply 19 of 29
    I got my copy via iBooks. Hurray for not having to go to the store to buy it. I'm about 3 chapters in and loving it.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bansal98 View Post

That is just insane.

But I bet it sells like hotcakes!