Apple building prototype televisions for potential 2012 launch - report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 193
    Based upon my experience with AppleTV gen 2, I'd never buy an Apple television.

It would be a risk of thousands of dollars upon the gamble that Apple would put adequate hardware capability into the television.

AppleTV gen 2 is underpowered, unable to keep the display properly updated while high-resolution audio is being played. Scrolling is horrifically slow, taking minutes for me to scroll down to ZZ Top in the Artists list.

I am mildly annoyed at Apple for putting out an underpowered $99 AppleTV gen 2. But I also have lost any confidence that Apple will properly design a mass-consumer device like a television.
  • Reply 42 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

I don't think we'll talk to the TV itself, but to our iOS device(s) that will then command the 'TV' what to do.

This would also allow several people to control one device. Parent could request a show is downloaded in the background (from anywhere on Earth of course), whilst a youngster could instruct it to launch a game. Hopefully, Apple will buy OnLive and embed that service in Apple 'smart' TV.

I'd be amazed if they didn't integrate it into iCloud to allow the purchase of content remotely.

However I still think you could talk to a TV. With a combination of facial tracing and directional microphones you can have a single point that you can talk to with multiple people in the room.
  • Reply 43 of 193
    "Why would Apple ever get into the music player business? It will be a huge mistake and I don't see how it will benifit them."
  • Reply 43 of 193
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    So, will this alleged tv set have a QUAM tuner that can interface with existing cable provider headend? Or will this product just interact with Netflix/Hulu services only?

That is what I find most interesting about this speculation.
  • Reply 45 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ugh…

Any Apple HDTV would have to be CHEAPER than competitors' models, and I just don't see how that'd happen and keep the usual Apple hardware flair.

And the usual Apple hardware profit margins.

They would make their entrance by offering something enticing that nobody else does to compete with existing low end TVs. There will be no contest vs. high end products on both price and features. It is always an easy win for Apple against high end products. Nobody can beat their engineering and supply chain in that category.

If they found a way to make the set top box easy to use and integrated with iTunes and other Apple devices then they can easily take a big part of the market. It will be interesting to see if they are integrating with existing providers or becoming their own provider. Kinda feels like the rumors surrounding the initial iPhone speculating if they would become a virtual operator.
  • Reply 46 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rtapps View Post

"Why would Apple ever get into the music player business? It will be a huge mistake and I don't see how it will benifit them."

"Why would Apple ever get into the genetically enhanced cattle business? It will be a huge mistake and I don't see how it will benefit them."

You can't just magically apply that to anything. You have to have some sense of logic behind it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

If they found a way to make the set top box easy to use and integrated with iTunes and other Apple devices then they can easily take a big part of the market.

Can someone tell me why I want an integrated set top box as opposed to an Apple TV with an A6 chip that I never have to update?
  • Reply 47 of 193
    801801 Posts: 271member
    I believe that many here think of the completion for this TV to be one of those brutes hanging on the wall in walmart.

Since this is all speculation, I speculate that the product apple is going after is most like the Bose Videowave, in price and function.

That makes it a different ballgame.
  • Reply 48 of 193
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akf2000 View Post

I don't think Apple's stool can afford another hobby leg, TVs are white goods that really don't translate to Apple's philosophy.

What the the heck are you taking about? You clearly don't understand Apple at all, just like Apple's competitors.
  • Reply 49 of 193
    Can't wait for this but ALSO make it easy for me to get my broadband through Apple.
  • Reply 50 of 193
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rdjlexky View Post

I'd like to be able to tell Siri to DVR a program that comes on at 8 and have it do it while I'm on the go..

IPTV doesn't need DVR.
  • Reply 51 of 193
    Quote:

"Why would Apple ever get into the genetically enhanced cattle business? It will be a huge mistake and I don't see how it will benefit them."

You can't just magically apply that to anything. You have to have some sense of logic behind it.

Can someone tell me why I want an integrated set top box as opposed to an Apple TV with an A6 chip that I never have to update?

They may have both options, but I suspect that if they require a set top box it may have something to do with HDCP (copy protection) or licensing with content providers.

If the AppleTV is updated, hopefully they will add support to control the TV via the HDMI cable. That is the one thing that keeps me from using my AppleTV to push video from my iPad or iPhone. I wish it would just automatically change inputs when I send video. My PS3 will do this and that is awesome. The Samsung remote is a pain to use for input switching.
  • Reply 52 of 193
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 53 of 193
    Ahem....don't you guys get it?

Al Gore and Tim Cook both saying that they're excited about Apple's product pipeline + 60 Minutes interview where Walter Isaacson mentions Steve's desire of an Apple TV type product = source close to an Asian component supplier.

Gene Munster did his homework and knows what he's talking about!

BTW: It'll just be a box, not the monitor, like the current ATV only much more capable (yes, Siri).
  • Reply 54 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

That would be nice, but unless the TV has a BluRay player built-in, I don't think that you could get enough data into it fast enough via any existing wireless technology.

Do you think that something hanging on the wall, maybe over the fireplace, will need to be accessed physically to insert media? Or will Apple just relegate users to lower-resolution, streaming media?

Apple hasn't embraced BluRay yet and I don't expect them to. The bigger question is, "How will an Apple HDTV wirelessly receive a 1080P signal?"

I don't care about BluRay, but my Mac Mini is putting out 1080P and I'd love to do away with that HDMI cable.
  • Reply 55 of 193
    Quote:

SO I GUESS I'LL RESIGN MYSELF TO USING MY TELEVISION LIKE THIS FROM NOW ON, BECAUSE HOW ELSE IS SIRI GOING TO HEAR ME?

Seriously.

Directional microphones and active noise control.

Actually, since the Apple HDTV would know exactly what is coming through the speakers and the distortion from your room is pretty much static the noise cancellation is going to be damn near perfect.

You wouldn't be able to whisper to it or anything but you could easily speak in your normal voice even when the TV volume is blaring.

Next question?
  • Reply 56 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

Apple hasn't embraced BluRay yet and I don't expect them to. The bigger question is, "How will an Apple HDTV wirelessly receive a 1080P signal?"

I don't care about BluRay, but my Mac Mini is putting out 1080P and I'd love to do away with that HDMI cable.

Why not. It currently will receive a 720P signal wirelessly. I don't see why they wouldn't change that if the AppleTV specs are bumped up slightly.
  • Reply 57 of 193
    Quote:

SO I GUESS I'LL RESIGN MYSELF TO USING MY TELEVISION LIKE THIS FROM NOW ON, BECAUSE HOW ELSE IS SIRI GOING TO HEAR ME?

Seriously.

What's the problem? They could have you talk in your iPhone, talk in the remote, use a directional mic aimed at the room sweet spot, use a camera to detect the speaker (maybe even lip read), use a noise canceling algorithm, etc.
  • Reply 58 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

"Let's watch Monday Night Football"

Siri switches your TV to MNF, while akf2000 is asking where your 250 button remote is?

Play it again, sam! Haha.
  • Reply 59 of 193
    is that image suggesting that this TV will eliminate the need for an audio receiver?

...maybe a $149 receiver... but it's got to have magic dust if they expect me to ditch mine for some built in speakers.
  • Reply 60 of 193
    [QUOTE=Tallest Skil;1973073]"Why would Apple ever get into the genetically enhanced cattle business? It will be a huge mistake and I don't see how it will benefit them."

You can't just magically apply that to anything. You have to have some sense of logic .?[/ QUOTE]

You're correct there, but we only have a rumor based on a statement made in the he bio. It could be any thing from a new version of the Apple T.V., to a new use of existing monitors to a entire television concept that has not been considered before.

We have no clue at this point. But we all know what Apple can do and whenApple decides to do something it's usually pretty magical. The point is don't count the out before you even see what the quote means, or you may well have to eat you worlds like a Microsoft CEO.