Apple quietly updates MacBook Pro lineup with faster CPUs, graphics

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
With no mention of the update, Apple on Monday improved its MacBook Pro lineup with slightly faster Intel processors, as well as new graphics processors and larger hard drives in some models.

The new entry-level MacBook Pro now sports a 2.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 CPU. It also features a larger 500GB 5400-rpm hard drive at the same cost of $1,199.

The faster 13-inch MacBook Pro now boasts a 2.8GHz dual-core Intel Core i7, and its hard drive has also been upgraded to 750GB. It sells for $1,499.

For the 15-inch models, both feature quad-core Intel Core i7 processors. The low-end 15-inch has a clock speed of 2.2GHz and a 500GB hard drive, plus a faster AMD Radeon HD 6750M discrete graphics card with 512MB of GDDR5. The faster 15-inch runs at 2.4GHz with a 750GB hard drive and features the AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 1GB of GDDR5.

And the updated 17-inch MacBook Pro features a 2.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 with a 750GB hard drive, along with the AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 1GB of GDDR5. All MacBook Pro models come with 4GB of RAM clocked at 1333MHz standard.

Apple's top-of-the-line build-to-order 17-inch MacBook Pro offers a 2.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 for an additional $250, while the RAM can be upgraded to 8GB for another $200. All MacBook Pro models can also have their hard drives upgraded to solid state capacities up to 512GB for as much as $1,200.

All of the new MacBook Pros are listed as in stock, and come with free shipping. Monday's upgrade was done silently by Apple, as the company didn't even list the updated notebooks as being "new" to the store. As of Monday morning, the iPhone 4S was still listed as Apple's newest product.

AppleInsider first reported in September that Apple was set to surprise with a late 2011 MacBook Pro refresh. The relatively minor upgrades are expected to allow the professional line of notebooks to remain competitive until Intel's next-generation Ivy Bridge chips launch in the Spring of 2012.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 74
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    All nice upgrades.
  • Reply 2 of 74
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

All nice upgrades.

Yep...just in time for the holidays. Expect another sales breaking season from Apple!
  • Reply 3 of 74
    cxjxcxjx Posts: 2member
    I've been checking daily and waiting to drop my order as soon as they were introduced so it was a nice discovery a couple of hours ago... (hence the email).

What I forgot to mention was there is also a drop in the price of the Hi-Res Anti Glare screen - on the 15" its down from AUD240.00 (from memory) to AUD165.00

Cheers,

Chris
  • Reply 4 of 74
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

With no mention of the update, Apple on Monday improved its MacBook Pro lineup with slightly faster Intel processors, as well as new graphics processors and larger hard drives in some models.

Why not have a major event like they did with the iPhone? The changes to the MacBooks are comparable to the changes made to the i4.
  • Reply 5 of 74
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Why not have a major event like they did with the iPhone? The changes to the MacBooks are comparable to the changes made to the i4.

Its not that big a spec bump to warrant a huge release party....c'mon...does every vendor have that for all of their upgrades? No they don't.......
  • Reply 6 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

Its not that big a spec bump to warrant a huge release party....c'mon...does every vendor have that for all of their upgrades? No they don't.......

You might go as far to say that these upgrades would not even be noticeable to casual users. The quad i5 and i7 chips are already so fracking fast at running OSX that the limiting factor is RAM throughput and hard drive speed. The speed will show up in gaming and benchmarks, but not be a big deal for anyone else.

Still, nice upgrades. I'd be interested if the chips are cooler and lower powered as well. Does anyone know?
  • Reply 7 of 74
    Quote:

Why not have a major event like they did with the iPhone?p

Because the updates don't really mean anything.

Quote:

The changes to the MacBooks are comparable to the changes made to the i4.

Not at all?
  • Reply 8 of 74
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Congrats on letting CJ troll you guys. Nice bumps, but I'm still waiting for tax time and the Ivy Bridge MBPs to take the laptop plunge.
  • Reply 9 of 74
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    I wish they would offer a higher res, non reflective screen as an option on the faster 13"
  • Reply 10 of 74
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CxJx View Post

What I forgot to mention was there is also a drop in the price of the Hi-Res Anti Glare screen - on the 15" its down from AUD240.00 (from memory) to AUD165.00

The price difference in the US was $150 before and after. In the EU, the price difference was 150 euro before and after. Memory and SSD upgrade prices are also unchanged.

I had been hoping that Apple would make 1680x1050 the new standard for the 15" models, so I'm disappointed. A decrease from 200 to 150 (dollars or euro) for the 4GB to 8GB upgrade would have suggested that we might hope for 8GB base memory some time next year. As is, I think 2013 is the earliest we can hope for 8GB minimum RAM (Mac Pro possibly excepted).
  • Reply 11 of 74
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Just in time. I will be ordering the 15 inch with 2.4GHz. I will upgrade to 8GB RAM but will do the upgrade myself. Just waiting for MacMall offers on AI!
  • Reply 12 of 74
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Computer says no. Seriously, you should be able to see why Apple would do a special event to announce the iPhone, but not a nudgary Intel CPU spec bump. The CPU is twice as fast? The GPU is 7x faster? There is Siri in the new Macs that needs to be demoed? There are lines for MBPs this morning? There has been worldwide anticipation for new MBPs that will sell a reported 40 million units before the year's end?
  • Reply 13 of 74
    Quote:

Not. Leave, troll.
  • Reply 14 of 74
    Well, there ends my 9 months of being king of the geeks with my previously top of the line 17" MBP.....!
  • Reply 15 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Just in time. I will be ordering the 15 inch with 2.4GHz. I will upgrade to 8GB RAM but will do the upgrade myself. Just waiting for MacMall offers on AI!

Yep - I upgraded my early-2011 rev to 8gb for about $45 via NewEgg. Apple's memory upgrades are no longer the ludicrous prices they used to be, but they are still unreasonable for anyone who feels comfortable turning a couple of screws on the bottom of their machines!
  • Reply 16 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Well, there ends my 9 months of being king of the geeks with my previously top of the line 17" MBP.....!

LOL - that's exactly what I was thinking of when I read these upgrades were coming (although mine is the top-of-the-line 15", which I didn't really want but it was the only way to get the matte, high-res display in-store).
  • Reply 17 of 74
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    That's a nice graphics upgrade. The 6770M will be able to play the latest games (Deus Ex, Rage) at very respectable settings. I know because I have an older iMac with slightly worse graphics and it plays them just fine.
  • Reply 18 of 74
    I actually freaked at the pricing this morning.. I ordered a new MBP on the 15 th and received it last friday. Configuring the same model comes out to be 300$ cheaper as of today. I called he online apple store to express my concern. I said I could legally return this unit for a full refund and place an order with the new pricing but would love a solution that was less of a hassle for all. They credited 300$ to my credit card.

Happy camper.
  • Reply 19 of 74
    gxcadgxcad Posts: 120member
    Ah, I have to admit it was earlier than I had expected. Guess you never really know with Apple! Not complaining though
  • Reply 20 of 74
    I am curious whether anyone has thoughts on what predictions can be made about the upgrade of the MacPro based on this latest revision to the MacBook Pro. It sounds to me like we won't see anything until Spring 2012 based on the reference to Sandy Bridge processors in the article.

Thanks