Loss in audio volume on inbound call - wired headset

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Edit: Most heasets fail, but I've found a few that succeed (see below).

Today's bluetooth headsets are just not quite good enough for a high end business conversation -- one out and about in which the minor hesitation means the difference between "yes" and "maybe not" on a $100k to $xxM sale.

Lately I've been using a wired boom headset (a different one than at the end of these posts) -- having retired both of the JawBone bluetooth ones I also own.

However I've run into a consistent problem.

When I answer an inbound call, the caller's volume drops off dramatically even though they hear me just fine. If I hang up and call them back for a "better connection" they are at a perfect volume. It's repeatable 100% of the time. Also, if I take to time to unplug the wired headset from the ringing phone, hit "answer" , and then QUICKLY plug the headset jack back in then the the volume is perfect. Again, this is repeatable 100% of the time

On an outbound call, the volume is wonderful and I can hear perfectly. My volume that the caller perceives is the same regardless. This is entirely about me being able to hear them.

The only boom mike have found is a 2.5mm triple connector (mono) which plugs into an adapter to the quad-connector iPhone jack on my 3Gs.

Goal: find a headset that offers great noise canceling & at least one good ear piece.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Headset comparison

My quest continues for an iPhone headset with noise-canceling mic that is capable of handling a professional conversation. Mostly I'm looking for a full-time replacement for a land line in a mobile professional sales environment. By that I mean a sales conversation that might include discussions over "would you prefer one million or two?" Or "how do you feel about the risks of _____?".

I figure that if the issues are are noticeable in the first minute, we've pretty well defined how the call experience will be perceived overall.

I'll continue to update this as my search continues. You are welcome to post your experiences with other headsets.

Grading scale,
    4= wonderful, usable in all conditions, …or clear conversations with no background noise

3 = acceptable, \ ...or one min conversation with one or two occurrences of "what did you say?"

2 = marginal, usable if careful, ...or one min conversation with three or more occurrences of "what did you say?"

1 = unusable, …or one min conversation with long periods of "I can't understand what you are saying."
    Nortel Liberation noise-canceling, wired w 2.5mm mono to 3.5mm adapter, 11 months
    4 Stable fit on ears while driving

4 Stable fit on ears while lying down

3 Stable fit on ears while bending, lifting, carrying, exercising

4 Audio quality transmitted - quiet environment - (headset owner's voice)

4 Audio quality transmitted - moderate environment 65 mph SoCal freeway - (headset owner's voice)

xx Audio quality transmitted - noisy environment - (headset owner's voice)

Notes: Boom mic that fits over one ear. LR66826 I had this headset and knew it worked in the office, so added the mono adapter and put it to use after retiring two others. BUT, see my difficulties with inbound calls

4 Static or choppiness

3 Reduction of transmitted background noise

4 Received audio quality - quiet environment (hearing the other party)

4 Received audio quality - moderate environment (hearing the other party)

Notes: Inbound calls from another party FAIL to have the same high volume as outgoing calls I place. I have to hang up and call back, or unplug the headset before answering and quickly plug it back in on the iPhone) Impedence issue?
    Altec - Plantronics Backbeat 903 Bluetooth, Four days

4 Stable fit on ears while lifting, carrying, exercising

2 Audio quality transmitted - quiet environment - (headset owner's voice)

1 Audio quality transmitted - moderate environment 65 mph SoCal freeway - (headset owner's voice)

Notes: Returned for refund due to low transmitted audio quality, which is too bad because this Plantronics 903 fit better than any other. Basic audioiQ is not up to the task. However, It has the best received audio quality so far.

3 Static or choppiness

2 Reduction of transmitted background noise

4 Received audio quality - moderate environment (hearing the other party)

Notes: Really great received audio from the caller. Too bad about the rest.
    Jawbone 1.0 Bluetooth, six months
    2 Stable fit on ears while driving

2 Stable fit on ears while lying down

1 Stable fit on ears while lifting, carrying, exercising

3 Audio quality transmitted - moderate environment 65 mph SoCal freeway - (headset owner's voice)

Notes: Never could get the ear hook and replaceable rubber bud to hold Jawbone tight to my face

3 Static or choppiness

4 Reduction of transmitted background noise

3 Received audio quality - quiet environment (hearing the other party)

2 Received audio quality - moderate environment (hearing the other party)

Notes: Many of the received audio issues are tied to the inability of the unit to stay in position. Can't these guys make a headset that is committed to stay on while still using their technology? An around the back of the head" or optional head loop would be an improvement.
    Apple In-earphones w remote & mic MA850G/A, wired, three weeks
    3 Stable fit on ears while driving

3 Stable fit on ears while lying down

2 Audio quality transmitted - quiet environment - (headset owner's voice)

1 Audio quality transmitted - moderate environment 65 mph SoCal freeway - (headset owner's voice)

Notes: The mic is built into the cord and tends to roll away from pointing the mic at my mouth. No noise canceling

4 Static or choppiness

1 Reduction of transmitted background noise

Notes: The design doesn't help the Apple headset maintain reliable comms.
    Jawbone Prime Bluetooth, Four months
    3 Stable fit on ears while driving

2 Stable fit on ears while lying down

4 Audio quality transmitted - moderate environment 65 mph SoCal freeway - (headset owner's voice)

Notes: Even with the ear hook I could not get a combination with the replaceable rubber bud to hold Jawbone Prime tight to my face. NoiseAssassin works as far as transmitting my voice.

3 Static or choppiness

4 Reduction of transmitted background noise

Notes: Similar issues… Many of the received audio issues are tied to the inability of the unit to stay in position. Can't these guys make a headset that is committed to stay on while still using their technology? For crying out loud -- imitate the Plantronics 903 "around the back of the head" style if needed. I don't need art on my face, I need reliable comms.
    Ooops... Buyer beware.

Best Buy is still peddling the OLD model Voyager Pro w only audioiQ vs newer audioiQ2 -- for the same price.
    Read the bottom-left corner of the box before buying, Bluetooth, Zero days (caught the difference at the cash register and didn't buy it.)

Voyager Pro with audioiQ2, Three days - First impressions (AT&T store had the new one)

3 Stable fit on ears while lifting, carrying, exercising

4 Audio quality transmitted - noisy environment standing next to automated print/fold/stuff machine - (headset owner's voice)

Notes: First Bluetooth headset that does not have background hash noise in the silence during a conversation. That seems as good as the wired headsets so far. Good feedback from callers about the transmitted quality of my voice.

4 Static or choppiness

4 Reduction of transmitted background noise. My voice was clear and strong,yet the print/fold/stuff press was far in the background

4 Received audio quality - moderate environment 65 mph SoCal freeway - (hearing the other party)

TBD Received audio quality - noisy environment

Notes: She sounded good the first night. But then, she always does. Good quality continues in every place so far Meanwhile the headset is staying put. The battery pack wrapped around the back of my ear helps a lot, so that's a great start. Much lighter weight and better balanced than I expected it to be.
    Next: theBoom, Plantronics Voyager Pro, ...or I'm open to suggestions.

-----
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Problem solved.

After 14 months:

5 Audio quality is superb in all cases (send and recieve)

4 It's got a cord

3 No mute button on the cord (oh, well it's worth the clarity tradeoff)

5 Extended battery life on my iPhone (no power used for bluetooth transmitter)

I've found that theBoom is the best (for me). Wired, so no bluetooth loss due to second radio link (phone to mic). Most people think I'm in a quiet office when I'm really driving 65 mph (or so) on the freeway with the radio on. Same mfg makes noise-canceling headsets for pilots. I've even stood next to an operating printing press and was able to converse just fine with no objections or questions from the person on the other end.

It's good enough that I even use theBoom on my iPhone when actually IN my office, instead of the POS corporate desk phone. I go from car to client meetings and needed an over-the-ear model so that I didn't have to fuss with hair issues. I bought theBoom v4 and love it.

As of 10/14/11, Siri loves it too.

-----

My fiance has my old Plantronics Voyager Pro. Works for her. If I HAD to have a wireless, the Voyager Pro is the only one I'd buy again.

---

.............All the others have been given away. Some to people I didn't like very much. (jk)