First "Steve Jobs" review finds biography worthy of its subject

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 71
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tsa View Post

Yep, and that is the reason why I can't reach the app store at the moment. Everybody wants the new Bible

It's only a mere 20MB - LOL
  • Reply 62 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

Yea, I also find the Einstein comparison to be off. Steve was not a scientific genius. He was not even an engineer. Rather, he transformed industry, everyday technology & communications, and entertainment.

More of a Bell, Ford, and Disney wrapped into one

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post

You might want to add P.T. Barnum in that mix.

Not the "Sucker born every minute" part, though.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I can easily see it the other way.

Al was a big thinker. He had ideas, he had a vision, he made the impossible possible, yet others still had to work to make these ideas a reality because Al wasn't an engineer, wasn't a designer.

Ben, on the other hand, built his own inventions. That makes Ben a lot more like Woz than like Jobs.

I agree with Einstein not being a good correlation. Am I off the mark to suggest a comparison to T. A. Edison?
  • Reply 63 of 71
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

I agree with Einstein not being a good correlation. Am I off the mark to suggest a comparison to T. A. Edison?

I see Edison as one of the worst comparisons you could make to Jobs. Edison executed ideas with his own hands. He was a bona fide inventor, at least in his younger days. Jobs was a lot more like Einstein in that he had an idea of something that others worked to execute. Einstein and Jobs both saw something complex and tried to make it simple.

I'm not saying either man could even understand how each other saw their distinct worlds, but from a purely fundamental level Einstein and Jobs were thinkers working with hypotheses that engineers proved with with tangible production.

One a businessman simplifying consumer electronics and the other a scientist simplifying the cosmos. Edison and Jobs comparison begins and ends almost squarely with business, though Edison seems a lot more like Gates in his desire to dominate a market without any since of style.
  • Reply 64 of 71
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clamdigger63 View Post

While Jobs was effusive in his praise of Ive, a rare thing for him to do, the British-born senior vice-president of industrial design at Apple was less so.

"He (Jobs) will go through a process of looking at my ideas and say, 'That's no good. That's not very good. I like that one," Isascson wrote quoting Ive.

"And later I will be sitting in the audience and he will be talking about it as if it was his idea. I pay maniacal attention to where an idea comes from. a¦ So it hurts when he takes credit for one of my designs."

Speaking of taking undue credit, your entire post was lifted from elsewhere - word for word. Please credit the source.
  • Reply 65 of 71
    Just received the book on my Kindle.
  • Reply 66 of 71
    Quote:

I see Edison as one of the worst comparisons you could make to Jobs. Edison executed ideas with his own hands. He was a bona fide inventor, at least in his younger days. Jobs was a lot more like Einstein in that he had an idea of something that others worked to execute. Einstein and Jobs both saw something complex and tried to make it simple.

I'm not saying either man could even understand how each other saw their distinct worlds, but from a purely fundamental level Einstein and Jobs were thinkers working with hypotheses that engineers proved with with tangible production.

One a businessman simplifying consumer electronics and the other a scientist simplifying the cosmos. Edison and Jobs comparison begins and ends almost squarely with business, though Edison seems a lot more like Gates in his desire to dominate a market without any since of style.

I see your point, and now that you explain your reasoning so well, I agree with you on that level. I guess I was thinking more in the way that both Jobs and Edison saw other's products and inventions, how rudimentary and unrefined they were, and looked to perfect them. They both saw great ideas and inventions and made it their life's work to perfect them for the masses with practicality and ease of use.

Edit: Check the Mod's post #52, 50 seconds into the clip where one guy suggests Edison also. While I concede your point, I see this too.

After all, it must be true....I saw it on the Internet!
  • Reply 67 of 71
    tsatsa Posts: 129member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clamdigger63 View Post

While Jobs was effusive in his praise of Ive, a rare thing for him to do, the British-born senior vice-president of industrial design at Apple was less so.

"He (Jobs) will go through a process of looking at my ideas and say, 'That's no good. That's not very good. I like that one," Isascson wrote quoting Ive.

"And later I will be sitting in the audience and he will be talking about it as if it was his idea. I pay maniacal attention to where an idea comes from. a¦ So it hurts when he takes credit for one of my designs."

Oh man I really really hate that. I've been plagiarized once and somebody patented one of my ideas once. The people who did that are right on top of my list of people who I do not like at all, because they ruined a small part of my career.

Edit: and please quote your source because you are now doing almost the same thing: taking some else's 'idea' and making it seem like your own.
  • Reply 68 of 71
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tonyteo View Post

This is one book that the best way to read it is the old fashion way, a real hardcover book. My iPad is for all other books that are not of this caliber.

Screw real books. There are so many advantages to reading an e-book.

I'm not one of those hippy treehugger freaks, but real books are basically a waste of space and paper.

It is much more convenient to read on a device like an iPad. You don't need two hands to read or to turn the pages, you don't have to rely on ambient lighting, you can make the text smaller or larger, an iPad is much thinner than a book, it's more convenient to hold and the overall experience is simply better.
  • Reply 69 of 71
    tsatsa Posts: 129member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Books have some advantages and disadvantages vs film. In the following Bloomberg documentary, they have footage of Woz and early footage of Jobs, which is hard to convey with just words:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgiEG-NsAB0

That is a very good documentary and I enjoyed watching it a lot. Thank you for the link!
  • Reply 70 of 71
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Ben Franklin? - Yes, the similarities are quite remarkable.

Albert Einstein? - No, not similar at all and not even close to his level of understanding.

He was a visionary like Franklin. He did not bring his vision to the variety of areas Franklin did, but he lived almost 30 years less. Franklin accomplished a lot in his last 28 years.

The Einstein comparison seems off, but I would like to see the context. Einstein's peers often thought he was foolish too.
  • Reply 71 of 71
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:

Yours is an interesting twist. I think he may have been more like an early einstein and a later Edison. Later in life, the Edison / Jobs comparison is really remarkable. They both built massive industries out of products people weren't really sure they needed.