Android tops iOS in total mobile apps downloaded, still trails per user

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Despite besting iOS in total mobile app downloads for the first time ever, Android's downloads per user are still only half that of Apple's.



In a report released on Monday by ABI Research, Android overtook iOS in overall app downloads during the second quarter of 2011, though iOS users reportedly downloaded more apps per person by a 2:1 ratio.



Analysts at ABI report that the Google OS garnered 44 percent of overall mobile downloads, compared to Apple's 31 percent. Android-based handset shipments increased during Q2 2011, while iPhone shipments flagged as customers waited for the iPhone 4S to be released, giving the Android's installed based a 2.4-to-1 advantage against iOS devices. That gap is expected to grow to 3-to-1 by 2016, according to ABI estimates.



"Being a free platform has expanded the Android device install base, which in turn has driven growth in the number of third party multi-platform and mobile operator app stores," said research associate Lim Shiyang. "These conditions alone explain why Android is the new leader in the mobile application market."



Despite Android's larger user footprint, iOS users download more apps per person, making the Apple OS the main focus for app developers. ABI attributes this to Apple's superior app monetization policies, which attract high quality developers who subsequently create a better catalog of apps.



As the number of app sales continue to balloon with more people moving to smartphones, a report released earlier this year expects Apple to continue leading in profits through 2016, with iOS making $2.86 billion compared to an estimated $1.5 billion for Android.



According to ABI, global app downloads are expected to hit 29 billion by the end of 2011, compared to 9 billion in 2010.
«1345

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 86
    Handheld vendors and Google are making money.



    App Developers are a different story.



    You want to make money you go to iOS.
  • Reply 2 of 86
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    It's about time they finally beat iOS. I'd say congrats but I'm wondering what took them so long and why Android users aren't that keen to downloading apps, or is there some reason to believe that handheld users download apps about the same which would make Android's activation numbers compared to Apple's unit sales a sham comparison?
  • Reply 3 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Despite besting iOS in total mobile app downloads for the first time ever, Android's downloads per user are still only half that of Apple's.



    In a report released on Monday by ABI Research, Android overtook iOS in overall app downloads during the second quarter of 2011, though iOS users reportedly downloaded more apps per person by a 2:1 ratio.



    Analysts at ABI report that the Google OS garnered 44 percent of overall mobile downloads, compared to Apple's 31 percent. Android-based handset shipments increased during Q2 2011, while iPhone shipments flagged as customers waited for the iPhone 4S to be released, giving the Android's installed based a 2.4-to-1 advantage against iOS devices. That gap is expected to grow to 3-to-1 by 2016, according to ABI estimates.



    "Being a free platform has expanded the Android device install base, which in turn has driven growth in the number of third party multi-platform and mobile operator app stores," said research associate Lim Shiyang. "These conditions alone explain why Android is the new leader in the mobile application market."



    Despite Android's larger user footprint, iOS users download more apps per person, making the Apple OS the main focus for app developers. ABI attributes this to Apple's superior app monetization policies, which attract high quality developers who subsequently create a better catalog of apps.



    As the number of app sales continue to balloon with more people moving to smartphones, a report released earlier this year expects Apple to continue leading in profits through 2016, with iOS making $2.86 billion compared to an estimated $1.5 billion for Android.



    According to ABI, global app downloads are expected to hit 29 billion by the end of 2011, compared to 9 billion in 2010.



    If my interpretation of this article is correct, then the headline is misleading. Does "iOS" mean iOS on the iPhone or iOS on all idevices? I have a suspicion that the comparison would reveal a very different pattern if Android was compared to iOS on iPhones, iPods, and iPads.
  • Reply 4 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    It's about time they finally beat iOS. I'd say congrats but I'm wondering what took them so long and why Android users aren't that keen to downloading apps, or is there some reason to believe that handheld users download apps about the same which would make Android's activation numbers compared to Apple's unit sales a sham comparison?



    Android users don't pay for their apps in many cases, instead getting apps from 'other' sources. Android motto: "Why pay, when you can get it for free."
  • Reply 5 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brometheus View Post


    If my interpretation of this article is correct, then the headline is misleading. Does "iOS" mean iOS on the iPhone or iOS on all idevices? I have a suspicion that the comparison would reveal a very different pattern if Android was compared to iOS on iPhones, iPods, and iPads.



    As with anything Android related, it is only Android vs iPhone iOS. If they actually took into account all the downloads for every iPod, iPad, and iPhone, it would be a very different story.
  • Reply 6 of 86
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    It's about time they finally beat iOS. I'd say congrats but I'm wondering what took them so long and why Android users aren't that keen to downloading apps, or is there some reason to believe that handheld users download apps about the same which would make Android's activation numbers compared to Apple's unit sales a sham comparison?



    It would be interesting to see how many apps the average user had on his phone as well.



    My impression is that while iPhone users download a lot of apps, they delete a lot of apps too, after playing with them for a few minutes.
  • Reply 7 of 86
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post


    It would be interesting to see how many apps the average user had on his phone as well.



    My impression is that while iPhone users download a lot of apps, they delete a lot of apps too, after playing with them for a few minutes.



    I know I certainly do. It's nice to have iTunes keep them for you as a backup. I don't think I've even looked for a new app in months. I've simply content with my current setup.



    Mac.World makes a good point about unofficial downloads that aren't counted. Would be interested to see how much that affects the Android ecosystem numbers in both coming closer to iOS and to hurting developers.
  • Reply 8 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    I know I certainly do. It's nice to have iTunes keep them for you as a backup. I don't think I've even looked for a new app in months. I've simply content with my current setup.



    Mac.World makes a good point about unofficial downloads that aren't counted. Would be interested to see how much that affects the Android ecosystem numbers in both coming closer to iOS and to hurting developers.



    Google really has to make apps harder to pirate. When I use to pirate apps it was literally the easiest thing in the world.
  • Reply 9 of 86
    The Android market place is made up of 95% Ring tones and wallpapers so as far as app download goes, not even close.
  • Reply 10 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fraklinc View Post


    The Android market place is made up of 95% Ring tones and wallpapers so as far as app download goes, not even close.



    Oh stfu. We were having a mature discussion take that bullshit out of here. You dislike Android...Congrats. now do you have anything to offer to the discussion or you want to defacto troll some more?
  • Reply 11 of 86
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post


    Oh stfu. We were having a mature discussion take that bullshit out of here. You dislike Android...Congrats. now do you have anything to offer to the discussion or you want to defacto troll some more?



    Yikes. Good example of a mature post!
  • Reply 12 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post


    Yikes. Good example of a mature post!



    Mature discussion does not equal a mature post. Plus being somewhat progressive I don't think a curseword or two automatically makes a post immature.





    Ex. "Lol Apple better watch out the Droid army keeps winning woooooo" is an immature post and offers nothing to the discussion but mindless trolling.
  • Reply 13 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post


    It would be interesting to see how many apps the average user had on his phone as well.



    My impression is that while iPhone users download a lot of apps, they delete a lot of apps too, after playing with them for a few minutes.



    All my coworkers except for one are Android users. I myself have about 70-80 apps installed currently on my phone. I have a ton of space free, but just don't need anything else. Only when I need something, I will go hunt it down. As for my friends also using Android, I think they are hovering right around the same amount. One coworker (which the rest of us complain to), pirates his applications. Personally, this upsets me. It just turns out to hurt the eco-system for end users. Devs. see their apps in use, but do not see the sold number going up.

    I have used the ipod (2nd gen touch), then moved to the Android platform, then was put off by lack of updates, then moved Windows Phone 7 (I believe it feels unfinished, lacking features, odd bugs, but it is very fun and classy). In the end though, I couldn't shake the ROM bug and was back at it with Android once more.



    I think the reasons as to why I never installed too many apps in the past was due to Android getting shaky in reliability after so many were installed. Maybe others haven't had this experience, but I sadly did. The newest rev. 2.3.3 is pretty solid, and the only issues I have are the bloody GUI overlays that HTC just HAS to put on their phones. Granted, Sense 3.0 is pretty slick, but I would rather have vanilla any day.



    Just a side note, Google keeps a nice list of software you have purchased, or installed for free under the Market place. Just Market>Option button>My Apps.



    Gives a breakdown of Current Updates/Installed/Not Installed.



    I hope I answered a few questions as an Android user.



    To be honest, one of the biggest issues/complaints Android users nearly all agree on are the carrier installed installed junk. They just hog memory/cpu cycles and do nothing of use. That is why I think ICS4.0 will be great! Give users a chance to stop that junk without rooting the device. Even thought I enjoy rooting/romming, I prefer to do it for fun, not because I want my new phone to just be stable.



    EDIT: Interesting to see how everyone flames one another, even though everyone here hates Android. Just trying to say something and diffuse a little misinformation has felt like trying to put out an oil fire with a water bottle.



    - Ormada -
  • Reply 14 of 86
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,680member
    The iOS app store is far more evolved than the Android app store, both in content and quality. Anybody with a brain and anybody who wishes to make money is choosing iOS to release their apps on. All of the best apps are on iOS but not the other way around. I just bought the Animoog synth app from Moog a few days ago, freakin' great! Do you think that such apps exist for Android? Not a chance sucker.



    The Android app situation can be summed up with three simple words, complete fucking garbage. If you're a person who appreciates quality and you want a ton of good apps, both to purchase and for free, then you choose iOS. If you're a person who is a fucking cheapskate who got their phone for cheap or for free and looking at a moving wallpaper is what you consider to be productive, and you don't mind nasty malware, and you don't mind the horribly limited selection, then you choose Android. It's all about saving a buck.



    IOS users put their money where their mouths are. They don't mind spending money for quality apps. Android users put their mouths where their asses are. They are cheap, they whine, they complain, and they probably buy most of their clothes at Conway, walking around with those ugly pink bags.



    Android users disgust me. If you want to use Android, then fine, good for you. But don't come here and even mildly pretend that Android is even comparable to iOS. Just admit that Android fucking blows and then at least you people will be honest. The only way I could ever see myself using Android is if I were a homeless bum and I was looking for a new phone, and all I had to my name was some loose change in my pocket.
  • Reply 15 of 86
    According to Apple, they've sold over 250 million iOS devices (specifically pointed out during the beginning of the iPhone 4S intro at the beginning of October). According to Google, during their quarterly CC the next week, they've activated 190 million Android devices.



    Therefore (and I know math is hard for you Droid-droids, but bear with me), head-to-head, Apple has almost 57% of the market (250m/440m), while Android has 43% of the market (190m/440m). So, "giving the Android's installed based a 2.4-to-1 advantage against iOS devices" is absolute and utter crap.



    Go to the sources, guys. Go to the sources. Stop relying on brain-dead analysts. They're agenda-driven.
  • Reply 16 of 86
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post




    Android users put their mouths where their asses are.



    Android users disgust me.






    Well, I can certainly understand why!



    That sounds very unsanitary.
  • Reply 17 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post


    Oh stfu. We were having a mature discussion take that bullshit out of here. You dislike Android...Congrats. now do you have anything to offer to the discussion or you want to defacto troll some more?



    But it's true, you gonna cry now?
  • Reply 18 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fraklinc View Post


    But it's true, you gonna cry now?



    Do you use Android?
  • Reply 19 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ormada View Post


    All my coworkers except for one are Android users. I myself have about 70-80 apps installed currently on my phone. I have a ton of space free, but just don't need anything else. Only when I need something, I will go hunt it down. As for my friends also using Android, I think they are hovering right around the same amount. One coworker (which the rest of us complain to), pirates his applications. Personally, this upsets me. It just turns out to hurt the eco-system for end users. Devs. see their apps in use, but do not see the sold number going up.

    I have used the ipod (2nd gen touch), then moved to the Android platform, then was put off by lack of updates, then moved Windows Phone 7 (I believe it feels unfinished, lacking features, odd bugs, but it is very fun and classy). In the end though, I couldn't shake the ROM bug and was back at it with Android once more.



    I think the reasons as to why I never installed too many apps in the past was due to Android getting shaky in reliability after so many were installed. Maybe others haven't had this experience, but I sadly did. The newest rev. 2.3.3 is pretty solid, and the only issues I have are the bloody GUI overlays that HTC just HAS to put on their phones. Granted, Sense 3.0 is pretty slick, but I would rather have vanilla any day.



    Just a side note, Google keeps a nice list of software you have purchased, or installed for free under the Market place. Just Market>Option button>My Apps.



    Gives a breakdown of Current Updates/Installed/Not Installed.



    I hope I answered a few questions as an Android user.



    To be honest, one of the biggest issues/complaints Android users nearly all agree on are the carrier installed installed junk. They just hog memory/cpu cycles and do nothing of use. That is why I think ICS4.0 will be great! Give users a chance to stop that junk without rooting the device. Even thought I enjoy rooting/romming, I prefer to do it for fun, not because I want my new phone to just be stable.



    - Ormada -





    Very sensible mature post.



    Good luck here at AI.
  • Reply 20 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fraklinc View Post


    But it's true, you gonna cry now?



    But it's not true...at all. In fact, wasn't it Apple that had to crack down on the several thousands of fart apps?
Sign In or Register to comment.