Apple updates iPad 2 Smart Covers with color changes

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple on Monday revised its lineup of magnetic Smart Covers for the iPad 2, adding a few color options while discontinuing the orange polyurethane version, among other changes.

As can be seen on the order page for Apple's online store, the revised iPad 2 Smart Covers now feature an interior microfiber lining that is color-matched to the outside cover. Previously, iPad 2 Smart Covers all had the same gray color on the inside.

The option of an orange polyurethane Smart Cover has also disappeared, with that color having been replaced with a dark gray option. That color is in addition to the light gray, blue, green and pink Smart Covers.

The polyurethane colors have also been modified to be "more vibrant," Apple's official product description reads. The leather covers remain unchanged except for the navy option, which has seen its color slightly modified to make it "more navy," a source told MacRumors.

The iPad 2 Smart Covers remain priced at $39 for the polyurethane versions, and $69 for leather. In addition to navy, the leather Smart Covers are available in tan, black, cream and (Product) Red, of which portions go to the Global Fund to fight AIDS in Africa.

The Smart Cover is an accessory for the iPad 2 that features 21 magnets to make it quickly and easily attach and align itself to cover and even clean the touchscreen of Apple's tablet. The covers were developed alongside the iPad 2, which features additional internal magnets to properly align the cover automatically.

In addition to covering the screen, the Smart Cover can also be folded to prop up the iPad 2 for a keyboard stand or for using FaceTime and watching movies. An option in the iOS operating system also makes the Smart Cover automatically unlock the iPad 2 when it is removed, and re-lock the screen once it is put back in place.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    netdognetdog Posts: 244member
    Glad I got my orange one!

It looks great with the white.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    Since they're paying attention to smart covers at the moment, here's hoping THIS is fixed in the next update and that it comes out swiftly:

http://gizmodo.com/5852036/how-to-br...-a-smart-cover
  • Reply 3 of 31
    I bought one and returned it. The cover slides all over the place when carrying it or in my duffel bag waking it up and going back to sleep. The hinges scratched and marred the finish where they attach which really pissed me off. It's the most gimmicky thing Apple has come out with since the iPod Hi-Fi.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dysantic View Post

Since they're paying attention to smart covers at the moment, here's hoping THIS is fixed in the next update and that it comes out swiftly:

http://gizmodo.com/5852036/how-to-br...-a-smart-cover

That is one that certainly needs to be fixed.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by netdog View Post

...yeah...like a creamsicle....
  • Reply 6 of 31
    a_ka_k Posts: 32member
    Quote:

Glad i got myself the orange one too. It looks great on the black as well.

I'm growing a bit tired of the black/white/grey world Apple is living in.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    If its indeed true, I dislike that they're discontinuing the orange one. If anything I was hoping they'd make if more resilient against potential staining. Interesting it's still showing in the ad when you hit the iPad page on their site.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    The ridges on the inside cover leave streaks down the screen. I have to constantly clean the glass just to get rid of the vertical smudges (not sure what that micro fiber is supposed to be doing). Otherwise I like the cover, especially the auto on/off.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

?since the iPod Hi-Fi.

Uh? you want to pretend to tell us why you think that in any way constitutes a "gimmick"?
  • Reply 10 of 31
    Quote:

I bought one and returned it. The cover slides all over the place when carrying it or in my duffel bag waking it up and going back to sleep. The hinges scratched and marred the finish where they attach which really pissed me off. It's the most gimmicky thing Apple has come out with since the iPod Hi-Fi.

To each his own. To me the smart cover is maybe the most charming feature that came with iPad2. Maybe not optimal for duffel-bag carrying, admittedly.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    Breaking news!!! New colors! Thank god for A-P-P-L-E-I-N-S-I-D-E-R!
  • Reply 12 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Uh? you want to pretend to tell us why you think that in any way constitutes a "gimmick"?

Not a gimmick at all - a kick ass speaker!
  • Reply 13 of 31
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Why would they discontinue the orange cover? I can't imagine it was less popular than some of the others. They've never done justice to the color green. A darker forest green in polyurethane would look nice.

I would have bought a leather one except I read that the dye stained other fabrics. Is that still (or was it ever) an issue?
  • Reply 14 of 31
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Why would they discontinue the orange cover? I can't imagine it was less popular than some of the others. They've never done justice to the color green. A darker forest green in polyurethane would look nice.

I would have bought a leather one except I read that the dye stained other fabrics. Is that still (or was it ever) an issue?

I can't speak for everyone, but I bought my wife the red leather one for her iPad 2 and it doesn't seem to have stained anything (and if anything I'd expect red to be bad in that regard). It's actually worn really well and looks great so far (got it as soon as they were released last Spring).
  • Reply 15 of 31
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

They obviously discontinued it because it was the weakest seller.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

I can't speak for everyone, but I bought my wife the red leather one for her iPad 2 and it doesn't seem to have stained anything (and if anything I'd expect red to be bad in that regard). It's actually worn really well and looks great so far (got it as soon as they were released last Spring).

Thanks. That's good to know. Red would have been my choice too.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

They obviously discontinued it because it was the weakest seller.

Do we know the sales figures? I remember those orange shuffles being pretty popular back in the day.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

Exactly! Yay! I love my orange-on-white.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

At first I was concerned, but the wear-and-tear seems to be only on the smart cover hinge area and it didn't spread too much. Where it attaches to the iPad2 seems pristine so far.

I understand the issue, but over time I've seen my smart cover as essential. Just throwing this out there, when using in landscape-folded position with the smart cover, make sure the hinges are touching just the grey part of the triangular-folded smart cover.

I put mine in an Ozaki black "velvet" sleeve designed for the iPad1. The orange smart cover and iPad2 go in just nicely. There's some rubbing off of black on the smart cover from the inside of the Ozaki sleeve, but overall it's a tight, suitable fit.

When cleaning my iPad2 with some cloth that had some sand or grit or something caught in it I managed to scratch the screen a little. Luckily last month I got my iPad2 replaced anyway because of the original batches having the light-bleed issue.

Anyway, all the best. Reading Steve Job's biography at the moment, it sort of puts into light the various discrepancies and the sometimes close-but-not-super-perfect nature of Apple products.

At the end of the day perfection is relative and always a moving target.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fizzmaster View Post

That is one that certainly needs to be fixed.

The fix is easy. close all apps before you close the screen. If the apps are closed and someone tries to open one of them it demands the passcode lock even after this little stunt