Android tops iOS in total mobile apps downloaded, still trails per user

Comments

• Reply 41 of 86
    Hahahhaa isn't true? I mean i have friends who blog techs on engadget, most of them agree when it comes to comparing these teo OSs... XD i'm not hating android, it's just the analysts.... Lol they're so frustrating to me...
  • Reply 42 of 86
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Interesting ... revealing ...

Get help soon.

Best of luck.

I already use iOS and OS X and sometimes OS 9, I'm all good. I'm not the one who needs help. I can't say the same for certain other people who post here.
  • Reply 43 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fraklinc View Post

The Android market place is made up of 95% Ring tones and wallpapers so as far as app download goes, not even close.

The other 5% is spyware.
  • Reply 44 of 86
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It's about time they finally beat iOS. I'd say congrats but I'm wondering what took them so long and why Android users aren't that keen to downloading apps, or is there some reason to believe that handheld users download apps about the same which would make Android's activation numbers compared to Apple's unit sales a sham comparison?

I feel that, compared to iOS, android's usage model is less app centric. Apple really champions the 'there's an app for that' for every little specific use where as google leverages more web-based usage models for android. The google apps that come with every android phone also do a pretty decent job of covering a lot of tasks smartphones are generally used for, leaving apps to handle niche uses.

so I don't really think there's a drive for android users to go out and find apps unless they're trying to do something very specific with their phones.
  • Reply 45 of 86
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majjo View Post

I feel that, compared to iOS, android's usage model is less app centric. Apple really champions the 'there's an app for that' for every little specific use where as google leverages more web-based usage models for android. The google apps that come with every android phone also do a pretty decent job of covering a lot of tasks smartphones are generally used for, leaving apps to handle niche uses.

so I don't really think there's a drive for android users to go out and find apps unless they're trying to do something very specific with their phones.

I completely agree. I have about 70 apps on my phone, but I still mostly use the browser, stock music player, gmail, maps, stock contacts organizer etc... I have free apps from many web sites but I usually don't use them, since the browser does a stellar job.

Most of the applications that I have bought are games, the others are productivity apps. I buy all my apps from Amazon, not the Android Market, since Amazon has already my payment info and has earned my trust.
  • Reply 46 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

I completely agree. I have about 70 apps on my phone, but I still mostly use the browser, stock music player, gmail, maps, stock contacts organizer etc... I have free apps from many web sites but I usually don't use them, since the browser does a stellar job.

Most of the applications that I have bought are games, the others are productivity apps. I buy all my apps from Amazon, not the Android Market, since Amazon has already my payment info and has earned my trust.

Yea I had 84 apps at one point then went on a massive uninstall spree. I don't really use many apps or play many games. Everyone I know which uses Android usually downloads apps they need and then feel set.

Don't be dismayed by Google checkout though. I've used it a d Amazon plenty of times and both work fine IMO
  • Reply 47 of 86
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Don't be dismayed by Google checkout though. I've used it a d Amazon plenty of times and both work fine IMO

Sure, I just always had another option and like to keep things simpler. Once I get an NFC phone I will likely start using Google checkout regularly.
  • Reply 48 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Sure, I just always had another option and like to keep things simpler. Once I get an NFC phone I will likely start using Google checkout regularly.

Nfc looks to be interesting. We'll see.
  • Reply 49 of 86
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    I use the same iTunes account on two iPhones, an iPod Touch, an iPad and an iPod Shuffle - so if I load an given app on each device (or download a song to all devices) - does that count as 1 app since I only purchased it once? can't necessarily count how many times it is downloaded from Apple's servers as I might copy it through my network - or might remove it from the device then re-download it again later.
  • Reply 50 of 86
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I won't destroy your post but I am curious as to what you are doing here. If your aim is not to evangelize for Android, then what?

Maybe he's doing what a reasonable person would do - and trying to learn about different options? Why does someone have to be an evangelist to want to read and respond to an article?

Quote:

Very sensible mature post.

Good luck here at AI.

Actually, people who make sensible, mature posts are always welcome here at AI. Unfortunately, you wouldn't know anything about that since you're just a mindless troll.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

I use the same iTunes account on two iPhones, an iPod Touch, an iPad and an iPod Shuffle - so if I load an given app on each device (or download a song to all devices) - does that count as 1 app since I only purchased it once? can't necessarily count how many times it is downloaded from Apple's servers as I might copy it through my network - or might remove it from the device then re-download it again later.

That's a good point. AFAIK, when you go to the Apple store to download an app, it is downloaded to your computer and counted at that point. If you then use that computer to install the app on 5 devices, it only counts as one installation. If, OTOH, you download the app over the air, it probably counts as a separate installation. If you delete it and then install it on the same device, it counts as a new installation. I assume that the same behavior occurs with Android store (although I suspect that a larger fraction of Android downloads are over the air rather than installed via a host computer). In the end, the validity of any comparison like this is dependent on a lot of assumptions:

- Do both platforms have the same percentage of apps installed over the air?

- Do both platforms count downloads the same way?

- Do both platforms have the same number of installations per download?

And so on.

Unless the usage is similar, any data collected will be biased.
  • Reply 51 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Maybe he's doing what a reasonable person would do - and trying to learn about different options? Why does someone have to be an evangelist to want to read and respond to an article?

Actually, people who make sensible, mature posts are always welcome here at AI. Unfortunately, you wouldn't know anything about that since you're just a mindless troll.

That's a good point. AFAIK, when you go to the Apple store to download an app, it is downloaded to your computer and counted at that point. If you then use that computer to install the app on 5 devices, it only counts as one installation. If, OTOH, you download the app over the air, it probably counts as a separate installation. If you delete it and then install it on the same device, it counts as a new installation. I assume that the same behavior occurs with Android store (although I suspect that a larger fraction of Android downloads are over the air rather than installed via a host computer). In the end, the validity of any comparison like this is dependent on a lot of assumptions:

- Do both platforms have the same percentage of apps installed over the air?

- Do both platforms count downloads the same way?

- Do both platforms have the same number of installations per download?

And so on.

Unless the usage is similar, any data collected will be biased.

Actually, does it need to be that complex on the Apple side...

Each app purchase is tied to a specific iTunes account. The number of downloads or devices should not matter -- it is a single "purchase" transaction. iTunes will tell you: "You've already purchased this app: and let you download it again, without charge, on any device as many times as you like.

In my (and hopefully Apple's) way of thinking, only the original "purchase" transaction counts.
  • Reply 52 of 86
    Are these totals for free or paid apps?
  • Reply 53 of 86
    Wasn't there a cockroach analogy between Mac's and PC's a few years back?

"Just because there are more cockroaches than humans doesn't mean they are the superior species." Same applies to iOS & Android.

Also...

If you polish a dog turd it's still a dog turd.

Who cares about the numbers anyway? They're skewed by the fact that half of Androids were given away as buy one get one free. (Talk about stuffing the ballot box.)

Bottom line on the matter is are the customers satisfied with what they chose? All other statistics are subject to conditions and opinons that just don't matter to me.
  • Reply 54 of 86
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ormada View Post

Just wanted to have some gentlemen like conversations.

- Ormada -

You are in the wrong place.

The regulars here like to take any sign of an open mind and squash it like a bug. If you are, in the least, anything but rabidly pro-Apple, you will be cast into the net of the crazies, and statements will be attributed to you that are nothing short of nuts.

Beware. If you want gentlemanly conversation, head for the hills.

One guy posted here yesterday, for example, that Android users disgust him. Likely he will treat you like a pile of steaming refuse, because you disgust him.

Android users are treated by some like the KKK treats those who are thought to threaten their lifestyle. IOW, don't look at any white women here if you want your neck to stay unstretched.
  • Reply 55 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ormada View Post

The major downside to this method is, in the case of my Evo 4G, if you remove the carrier loaded apps, you are nullifying ANY and ALL chances you have of ever getting an OTA OS update.

Can you just reinstall the original ROM and thereafter get OTA updates?
  • Reply 56 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Interesting ... revealing ...

Get help soon.

Best of luck.

Quiet down. He's one of the most entertaining of the regulars. I hope he never changes. AI would be nothing without him and his buddies.

• Reply 57 of 86
    Quote:

Oh stfu. We were having a mature discussion take that bullshit out of here. You dislike Android...Congrats. now do you have anything to offer to the discussion or you want to defacto troll some more?

Button: pushed.
  • Reply 58 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brantdevlin View Post

If you polish a dog turd it's still a dog turd.

Who cares about the numbers anyway?.

Correction: Super Duper Plus PLUS ULTRA AMOPOLISH+++. Now with more peanuts. And pluses.

I remember when an inflammatory article written by Slash Dilger about Android could reach 300 posts in under 24 hours. We're slacking.
  • Reply 59 of 86
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 60 of 86
    When talking about the viability of a platform for development, one need look no further than the amount of money developers have made as a whole for each platform. To date, iOS developers have earned $2.5 billion and counting. I don't think Android developers have earned even half of that.

I remember throughout the year 2010, writers proclaimed the death of iOS. They predicted that developers would desert iOS in droves for the "open Android" platform. Evidently, that was not the case. Also, as far as I'm concerned, Android is not open. There were reports that Google has begun to enforce "anti-fragmentation clauses" that would, among others, require OEMs to have their custom skins approved by Google. That flies in the face of "open."

Developers go where the money is. Think back to Windows vs. Mac. Windows is a far more attractive platform for developers than Mac. The reason is simple. Windows is where the money is. It just so happens that Windows commands a larger market share than Mac, but that doesn't always have to be the case. At the end of the day, developers want to make money. With mobile, iOS is where the money is.

In a sense, mobile is a strange beast. What is happening with mobile flies in the face of logic. Android unquestionably commands a larger market share than Apple. By some estimates, Android has double the market share of Apple. Android should be an attractive platform for developers, but it isn't.