Apple 'expected' to release LTE 4G iPhone in 2012

Comments

• Reply 21 of 82
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    I have an iPhone 4, and it drops back to edge every couple of minutes of use, 4G is not a widely deployed spectrum across all U.S. carriers. I don't see the need to stress it's importance at this point.
  • Reply 22 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

I have an iPhone 4, and it drops back to edge every couple of minutes of use, 4G is not a widely deployed spectrum across all U.S. carriers. I don't see the need to stress it's importance at this point.

Exactly what Apple was thinking with the 4S.

Conversation with my Wife:

"Do you mind that your 4S doesn't have 4G?"

"Four what?!"

• Reply 23 of 82
    srangersranger Posts: 473member
    The new Motorola Bionic has good battery life with 4G now. I know two people that have them and they easily last 8-10hr for a normal day of use which is fine with me. They are both on Verizon and the download speeds are very fast here in Atlanta.

The main reason I did not get an iPhone is that they are not 4G yet... I'll probably get a Motorola Razor or Samsnung Nexus when they are available later this year. In my work the 4G speed is a big benefit along with some other features that Android offers that are not available on the iPhone like being able to download a file and copy it via Wifi or USB to a customer's computer. It Helps a lot during service calls to be able to get Firmware this way...
  • Reply 24 of 82
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Competition among 4G-capable long-term evolution smartphones is predicted to intensify in 2012, when industry insiders believe Apple will join the fray with its own LTE iPhone model.

In other news, the sun is expected to rise in the east.

• Reply 25 of 82
    Where is my iPad 3 with retina display that was supposed to come out this Fall? Or, how about that redesigned iPhone 5 with a larger screen but thinner design?
  • Reply 26 of 82
    Based on what's known about the tech and networks, does LTE make it more likely to see a "universal" phone that would also run on T-Mobile?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

The upcoming Droid Razr is only 7.1mm and has LTE. If Motorola can do it, no reason Apple can't, especially 8 months or so from now.

How is battery life?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by foxhunter101 View Post

...it can't be called the iPhone 5.

Nonsense. Apple releases the next iPhone called the 5, people buy it, and...what exactly would the problem be with calling it "5"?

It's the next big update after the 4 models, what else would they call it but 5?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Where is my iPad 3 with retina display that was supposed to come out this Fall? Or, how about that redesigned iPhone 5 with a larger screen but thinner design?

Neither of those were "supposed" to come out, just rumors with no facts to back them up.
  • Reply 27 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

It won't be the iPhone LTE... it sounds too much like iPhone Lite.

... and, because so many people on here have written off iPhone 5 then that is probably what it will be.

I don't think so. I agree with Tallest Skil in that unless there is a hardware based reason for calling it something else, they will go with the generation number.

The sixth generation phone will of course be iPhone 6 (not 5), unless there is some new technology which needs to be highlighted. Even then it's likely that they will use the generation number as the base (like "iPhone 6 LTE" or something).
  • Reply 28 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Sales people like terms such as 4G... as in:

"Oh, this phone is much better than the other one... it has 4G."

"What's 4G?"

"It makes your phone go faster."

"What about an iPhone?"

"Oh, Apple is way behind. They don't offer 4g. [...and I won't mention Apple doesn't hand out any spiffs]."

Yeah, but the fact that carrier stores and all the employees that man them are deceitful arm-twisting salesmen who don't know right from wrong and will lie through their teeth to get a sale is something that the manufacturer shouldn't really worry about.

They have very little control over that stuff outside of bribing the players to promote their phone and Apple (uniquely in fact) is AFAIK the only cell phone manufacturer that has already sworn off such payola.

It puts them in a tough spot in that outside of their own retail stores, the iPhone is rarely promoted (or even visible sometimes), but it's a moral issue. Personally, I applaud them for refusing to stoop to the kind of bribery and sweetheart deals that the other manufacturers use.

The iPhone sells on it's actual merits, but mostly to informed customers. It's literally the "smart choice." If someone is so stupid as to take the word of one of those sharpie sale men in the cell phone store over the facts, then they can't be helped.
  • Reply 29 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Neither of those were "supposed" to come out, just rumors with no facts to back them up.

I was poking fun at industry analysts with more predictions.
  • Reply 30 of 82
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I don't think so. I agree with Tallest Skil in that unless there is a hardware based reason for calling it something else, they will go with the generation number.

The sixth generation phone will of course be iPhone 6 (not 5), unless there is some new technology which needs to be highlighted. Even then it's likely that they will use the generation number as the base (like "iPhone 6 LTE" or something).

I think it will be iPhone 5. If they make it iPhone 6 the average person on the street is going to ask what happened to iPhone 5? Why did they skip a number?

Here on AI, we have been following each and every release since the original but the average customer isn't focused on the details so much. They see a 4 right now and would be surprised if the next phone was called 6.

Right now we are at iPhone 4.2. The next version will probably be iPhone 5.
  • Reply 31 of 82
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I think we're rounding the corner in terms of these 'compromises' that Cook mentioned. The upcoming Droid Razr is only 7.1mm and has LTE. If Motorola can do it, no reason Apple can't, especially 8 months or so from now.

1) The Droid RAZR t has LTE with a considerably larger case on two axes which means more room for internal components.

2) It's only 7.1mm on the thinnest part, not over the entire plane, unlike the iPhone which is 9.3mm over the entire plane. Again, see point 1 about the size of the device and how that relates to three-dimensional object's internal space for components.
    3) You also don't know how good the battery life is for '3G' or what '4G' battery life will be so to assume that because it's god enough for Moto it's good enough for Apple is starting off with a failed argument.

4) It's not on the market and the iPhone 4S is. Adding that to Moto's track record it's best you wait for some testing before holding up the Droid as a breakthrough device.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

How is battery life?

It has a sealed battery that the user can't remove which is a problem for Android phones that need to remove the battery to reset the device when it freezes up on you.

edit: According to AnandTech the Droid RAZR should be about the same as the Droid Bionic. Unfortunately for Droid RAZR buyers, being a sealed battery means no option of using a camelback battery pack and the fact Moto offers such an option for the Bionic should be a sign of Android and LTE's power usage
    As you can see from the first image the Droid Bionic is much worse than the iPhone even with double the battery size and without it LTE just becomes a very poor compromise if you want more than a half a day between charges.
    Now with WiFi data you see the Droid Bionic do considerably better, but this is WiFi, not LTE and with the extended battery pack which tells us how gigantic this extended battery pack is for the Droid Bionic, which isn't something the Droid RAZR will even have an option of using.
  • Reply 32 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I think it will be iPhone 5. If they make it iPhone 6 the average person on the street is going to ask what happened to iPhone 5? Why did they skip a number?

Was this ever asked about the iPhone 2 or iPhone 3? Of course not. Only one out of five generations have been given a commercial model number that matched its generational number: iPhone 4.
  • Reply 33 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I can hear the Android fans now...

"Apple skipped the iPhone 5 because they were so far behind android that they dropped the iPhone 5 they were working on and rushed the iPhone 6 to market!"

• Reply 34 of 82
    How much of the world will have LTE next year?

Motorola can make an LTE phone for Verizon... and still make other 3G phones for the rest of the world.

Apple tends to keep their product lines tidy...
  • Reply 35 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Was this ever asked about the iPhone 2 or iPhone 3? Of course not. Only one out of five generations have been given a commercial model number that matched its generational number: iPhone 4.

Again, that is ancient history followed only by us geeks and no iPhone 2 when there wasn't an iPhone 1 so no they didn't ask. Now the general public is aware of the current model number and expects a 5 at some point, unless there is a complete departure from the numbering system such as LTE which I think is unlikely. Apple would rather have a few geeks disappointed than the entire news media publishing confusing theories about the unexpected name of the newest iPhone.
  • Reply 36 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Again, that is ancient history followed only by us geeks and no iPhone 2 when there wasn't an iPhone 1 so no they didn't ask. Now the general public is aware of the current model number and expects a 5 at some point, unless there is a complete departure from the numbering system such as LTE which I think is unlikely. Apple would rather have a few geeks disappointed than the entire news media publishing confusing theories about the unexpected name of the newest iPhone.

If that were the case then they would have called the 5th gen. iPhone the iPhone 5. They didn't.

All they have to do is say that the 6th generation iPhone will be called blah blah. That's it!

The general public doesn't name Apple's products, Apple does. They don't have focus groups and surveys to get customer opinions on the matter. Remember how people hated MobileMe and iCloud? How they hated MacBook, MacBook Pro and Mac Pro? How they hate the ubiquitous iTunes?
  • Reply 37 of 82
    I'm another 'Just got 3G and it still doesn't work everywhere'.. LTE is a pipe dream here... so until they get LTE battery usage comparable to 3G battery usage I'm not interested. Just seems like another line item the fanboys want so they can banter with the android fanboys.
  • Reply 38 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If that were the case then they would have called the 5th gen. iPhone the iPhone 5. They didn't.

All they have to do is say that the 6th generation iPhone will be called blah blah. That's it!

The general public doesn't name Apple's products, Apple does. They don't have focus groups and surveys to get customer opinions on the matter. Remember how people hated MobileMe and iCloud? How they hated MacBook, MacBook Pro and Mac Pro? How they hate the ubiquitous iTunes?

Whatever it is a long way off and things can change. For me it makes no difference, I'm just imagining the discussions in the board room. Maybe they will keep the same case and screen size and call it the iPhone 4SII. I don't care so I won't comment about it any more. At least not today.
  • Reply 39 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

How much of the world will have LTE next year?

Motorola can make an LTE phone for Verizon... and still make other 3G phones for the rest of the world.

Apple tends to keep their product lines tidy...

The reason for the tidiness... one word... Performa... a word that can make old Apple fans shudder.
  • Reply 40 of 82
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    Quote:

The upcoming Droid Razr is only 7.1mm and has LTE. If Motorola can do it, no reason Apple can't, especially 8 months or so from now.

Motorola has clever marketeers. It's only 7.1 mm thin if you don't count the thick part (as shown in photos above).