3rd Party SSD Options (that work!) for MBP

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi. Considering an MBP to replace an aging ThinkPad. While doing my research, noticed that many MBP owners have had problems upgrading the HDD with a 3rd party SSD - those from Crucial (M4, C300), Intel (the new 510 series) and so on. Seems like the problem exists with SATA 3 drives as far as I can tell.

So which SSDs DO work without headaches for MBPs? I don't feel like paying the extra $ to get an Apple "branded" SSD - which is really a Toshiba but I've never even seen these on the market. OCZ Vertex 3s seem to work but I've seen the ratings on NewEgg for these drives and many were DOA / defective drives out of the box. Not appealing.

Insight / guidance would be most appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    Samsung 470 series or Crucial m4.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Winter View Post

Samsung 470 series or Crucial m4.

I WAS going to get the Crucial M4 but after reading many high marks for the OWC Mercury SSDs, ordered one and installed yesterday. The difference between SATA II and SATA III SSDs is most noticeable during start up. WOW.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    I'm curious, what computer did you swap the drive into?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    And what SSD did you get? My suggestions or another one?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Winter View Post

And what SSD did you get? My suggestions or another one?

I'm stuck between the Crucial M4 and OWC (240 pro) as Crucial is cheaper but OWC seems to be more reliable over time with its SandForce.

Will Lion enable TRIM on the Samsung? Is that comparable to whatever SandForce's chip is doing? Are there performance hits to have the OS do the work over the drive itself? Finally, the Samsung seems to have half the write/read speeds of the OWC and Crucial (250MB/220MB vs. 500ish read & write).

why advocate samsung?

Thanks!!!
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I would just get the OWC. For a small company, they sure have good customer service from my experiences.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    I'm not sure whether or not to go with the Samsung 470, Samsung 830, or Intel 510.

Being that the 2011 Mini supports SATA III, I would prefer SATA III though I'm not sure just yet.