Macworld Expo mirrors Apple's product shift with new 'iWorld' name

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Next year's Macworld Expo, set to kick off Jan. 26, 2012, will carry a new name for the first time, "Macworld|iWorld," to reflect the importance of Apple's i-products like the iPhone and iPad.

The change was announced by Macworld on Tuesday, when registration for the three-day event began. Attendees can now sign up for what has been dubbed "the ultimate iFanevent."

?The brand is evolving from Macworld [Expo] to Macworld|iWorld to illustrate that the show is about the whole ecosystem of Apple products,? said Paul Kent, the event?s vice president and general manager.

New features of this year's event include the Music Experience showcase, featuring live performances and talks from musicians who use Apple products. A new Film Event will highlight the use of Apple technology in movies and TV shows.

In all, the conference will include more than 75 talks, including educational sessions, how-to presentations, and tips-and-tricks demos. These "Tech Talks" are retained from previous Macworld Expos.

Exhibitors who have signed on for this year's event and are set to appear in the show floor include HP, Polk Audio and Sennheiser. More than 300 exhibitors are expected to visit, up from the 265 who attended in 2011.

Apple last participated in the Macworld Expo in 2009, and has since opted to host its own events, including media introductions of products as well as its annual Worldwide Developers Conference.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    Should've just called it AppleWorld
  • Reply 2 of 29
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    "Macworld|iWorld" is an awkward name
  • Reply 3 of 29
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Lame.

Ever since Apple pulled out of Macworld, Macworld has been a total non-event.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    Took them longer than Adobe to catch up with Apple.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Lame.

Ever since Apple pulled out of Macworld, Macworld has been a total non-event.

I didn't really understand them pulling out of Macworld, especially since in 2010 they held the iPad launch in January.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    Boooooo?
  • Reply 7 of 29
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CGJ View Post

I didn't really understand them pulling out of Macworld, especially since in 2010 they held the iPad launch in January.

I'm not 100% sure, but I remember reading a few years back that were some dispute as to where it was going to be held one year. I think that Apple wanted New York and Macworld wanted Boston. Apple probably doesn't like other people telling them what to do, so they probably said something like "screw it, we don't need to be a part of Macworld anymore".
  • Reply 8 of 29
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Boooooo?

Let me guess...Abject nonsense?
  • Reply 9 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I'm not 100% sure, but I remember reading a few years back that were some dispute as to where it was going to be held one year. I think that Apple wanted New York and Macworld wanted Boston. Apple probably doesn't like other people telling them what to do, so they probably said something like "screw it, we don't need to be a part of Macworld anymore".

MacWorld was moved to NYC from Boston while the Big Dig was going on. I attended in 1995 and back then we had to take a shuttle bus between two different exhibit halls, so perhaps the problem of trying to move attendees back and forth between locations with construction traffic patterns and additional congestion would have been too much.

When the Big Dig was finally over, IDG signed a deal to move back to Boston, but Apple did prefer NYC because so many of their customers were there and it was easy to attend. I agree with that, because the trip up to Boston was a multi-day hassle for me with long travel time and hotel expenses, coming from Philadelphia. When it was in NYC it was a pleasant day trip. For the movers and shakers in media based in Manhattan, it was a cab or subway ride.

Apple also pulled out because they were constantly expected to show products off at the Expo, and if they didn't have something ready to show in accordance with the rumors at the time it resulted in bad press. Now they can announce things on their own schedules, when products are ready.

While I loved watching new products get whipped out at Stevenotes, it's hard to argue that things are better for Apple the way they are now.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

Oh, I don't know, maybe they wanted to develop products and reveal them on their own schedule and timetable, instead of trying to time their entire cycle to Macworld? Makes perfect sense.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Let me guess...Abject nonsense?

Bingo. "The Apple Expo" (since there's only one anymore) is better than a name that screams, "Hey, in less than five years, we'll drop the 'MacWorld' from our name and it'll just be about iDevices only!"
  • Reply 12 of 29
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Oh, I don't know, maybe they wanted to develop products and reveal them on their own schedule and timetable, instead of trying to time their entire cycle to Macworld? Makes perfect sense.

I don't know why they couldn't do that anyway. Maybe if it was just once a year in SF it would have been a good excuse for a party, but every couple months around the world is a lot ask for Apple to host the show that ultimately was more of a benefit to Macworld than it was to Apple.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

On top of that, their message would get diluted by all the other press announcements being made A.) by other companies at Macworld Expo, B.) by those attending CES in Las Vegas, and C.) it was a challenge having new product ready to ship in early January, so close after the holidays (due to company closures, shipping hiatuses, vacations, you name it).

Macworld Expo later changed their schedule to late January, but the horse had already left the barn.

Plus, Apple has full control over the messaging, venue, security, invitee list, etc. at its own events, particularly when they are held on the Apple campus in Cupertino.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by glui2001 View Post

Exactly.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by glui2001 View Post

Pretty sure there would be trademark complications with that.

You can't just have a big event about soda pop and call it the "Coca-Cola Expo" or a show about cars called "Chevrolet World." At least not without permission from the relevant parties.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 17 of 29
    Quote:

That's sort of the problem. They aren't always going to have something to reveal to the public in Janurary. Also, MacWorld mattered a lot more 10-15 years ago when Apple was coming back from the brink. Today, Apple creates their own events, also reaches the public through their Apple Stores. MacWorld isn't something Apple needs.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Apple(R) is a registered trademark of Apple, Inc.

I think we've seen their willingness to sue over unauthorized use of their IP....

So is Mac.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 20 of 29
    I hope Macworld is willing to pay handsomely.

I came up with this idea last summer.