Poll finds Apple dominating youth computer, tablet and phone markets

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
An annual poll studying brand loyalty in American youth markets finds Apple as the most-liked manufacturer of computers, tablets and mobile phones.

Results released on Tuesday from research firm Harris Interactive's youth EquiTrend poll, which measures brand equity by familiarity, quality and purchase consideration, named Apple "Brand of the Year" in the computer, tablet and mobile phone categories, suggesting the company will dominate those youth markets in 2012.

The online study polled 5,077 consumers aged 8-24 in August, 2011, with a total of 121 brands being rated among 8-12 year olds and 167 brands among 13-24 year olds.

Noting an increase in the purchasing power of young Americans, the report suggests that companies need to earn customer loyalty early, saying the demographic is expected to spend $211 billion in 2012.

"Youth of today have spending power and they also have loyalty to brands," said Regina A. Corso, Senior Vice President for Youth and Education Research at Harris Interactive. "Brands who tap into this loyalty when a consumer is a tween, and nurture it through the teen years, will have an extremely loyal customer by the time the customer is a young adult."

Harris says that tech products are topping youth wish-lists for the upcoming holiday season, noting that Apple's products rank the highest, followed by Hewlett-Packard, Motorola Xoom and HTC respectively. The independent study claims to benchmark the brands that young Americans prefer, offering corporate America a strategic business tool in planning product ramp-up.

"This is very good news for Apple and indicates that their masterbrand is very strong," said Jeni Lee Chapman, Executive Vice President of Harris' Brand and Communication Consulting. "Brands often struggle to maintain relevancy among different generations. This data shows that this is not going to be an issue for Apple."

The Cupertino, Calif. company recently updated its MacBook Pro line, and announced its first free-on-contract iPhone alongside the new iPhone 4S. An LTE-equipped iPhone is expected to launch next year, as well as a rumored successor to the iPad 2.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    This just proves how ahead of the curve we here at Appleinsider are.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    Apple's future value gain from growth opportunities: The young, China, India.

Relentless.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    801801 Posts: 271member
    My two college kids appear to be about 8 years in front of the curve. We are knee deep in ipods and macbooks.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    Just wait until the market share numbers come out 3-5 years from now

A majority of college students today are choosing Macs. Wait until my 6 yr old goes. And it's just going to continue to get worse for Microsoft
  • Reply 5 of 30
    I wonder how Hewlett-Packard weaseled its way into the top. Not that that invalidates this study, but it makes me a little leery of reading anything into the numbers. To me it seems that what this study would best represent is name recognition, not intent to purchase or even product preference. With fourteen letters, four syllables, and a hyphen, Hewlett-Packard is certainly a name that is different enough from the typically short and simple brand names of most companies that it would catch an eye and a click in a brand name poll, especially when we're talking about responses from children.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    Awesome news for Apple. Let's not forget that not long ago, the company was on the brink of bankruptcy. Even after Steve Jobs came back, it was just doing decently - improved Mac lineup, popular iPods. It was not until 2007 (iPhone) that Apple was doing great, and 2010 (iPad) that they went stratospheric. But that's great that 5, 10, 20 years from now, there will still be a solid Apple user base.

After providing the company with innumerable boosters, Steve left the company in excellent shape, at some sort of zenith. Almost as if he had accomplished what he came to do. But what's next?
  • Reply 7 of 30
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    The way things are headed, with the growing popularity of the Mac and iPad, in the next decade Apple might achieve majority market share of the personal computer. That's mind blowing.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    HTC? Hewlitt-Packard? Over the likes of Nintendo and Sony (or even Microsoft)? I'm honestly shocked and suspicious of this survey.

I mean I guess I could fathom that a good number of parents buy, let's say a 7th grader, a more bargain type laptop from HP as opposed to say a MacBook Pro and therefore get some votes. But then why wouldn't Dell be up there? I just don't see how HP and HTC are in the top three recognizable brands for kids. Something is fishy.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    The Wintel nerds are all getting long in the tooth. Their day in the sun is almost over.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    cmvsmcmvsm Posts: 204member
    It hasn't paid to build your own PC in years. The costs have just come down way too much and that was that platform's strength. If you could even call it that. HP has already seen the writing on the wall by getting out of the PC business altogether, and brands need to be 'cool' if they want to compete in the youth arena. A nerd sitting behind a PC box learning about jumpers on the motherboard is simply not cool. A Macbook Air with no moving parts and slick design is what the kids want.

I recall the PC manufacturers getting together with Microsoft for the Windows 7 launch a couple of years ago to tell MS what the consumer wanted in terms of an OS. I guess that didn't work out too well.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    This is odd, because Android?s pseudo-macho ?robots and exploding things!!!!" ads seem to be aimed directly at 13-year-old boys.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

A majority of college students today are choosing Macs. Wait until my 6 yr old goes. And it's just going to continue to get worse for Microsoft

And without us at NeXT none of this would ever have materialized. That is the one action Gil Amelio did right, instead of buying Be Inc. Steve was always part of the merger.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

And without us at NeXT none of this would ever have materialized. That is the one action Gil Amelio did right, instead of buying Be Inc. Steve was always part of the merger.

You're right. I completely agree. NeXT being bought is fundamental to the whole story
  • Reply 14 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

10 years ago, me. Today, me, my wife, my three children and their spouses, and five grandkids, all Apple computers, iPads and iPhones. Well, I don't have an iPhone.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Dumb luck on Gil's part, I think, but thank god.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    Would we all be NeXT computer owners instead of Apple computer owners if Apple had not purchased NeXT? Apple would be the company floundering and Microsoft would still be scared. NeXT computers would probably be exactly the same as today's Apple computers.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The Wintel nerds are all getting long in the tooth. Their day in the sun is almost over.

What do you think is powering every Mac on the market right now, chief? Let me give you a hint: starts with an I, and doesn't end in PC.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    In all my college classes at least 8/10 laptops being used are macs. Not to mention probably 6/10 of the kids have iPhones. It's trending right now, kids want macs because they're "cool", then they realize macs are better machines and stay loyal to the brand
  • Reply 19 of 30
    tsatsa Posts: 129member
    If I were MS I would make sure I had damn good versions of Office and other stuff for the Mac in the coming years.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    tsatsa Posts: 129member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

Awesome news for Apple. Let's not forget that not long ago, the company was on the brink of bankruptcy. Even after Steve Jobs came back, it was just doing decently - improved Mac lineup, popular iPods. It was not until 2007 (iPhone) that Apple was doing great, and 2010 (iPad) that they went stratospheric. But that's great that 5, 10, 20 years from now, there will still be a solid Apple user base.

How do you know that? One wrong decision and you can lose all your fans in less than a year. Remember Nokia?