Poll finds Apple dominating youth computer, tablet and phone markets

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

Would we all be NeXT computer owners instead of Apple computer owners if Apple had not purchased NeXT? Apple would be the company floundering and Microsoft would still be scared. NeXT computers would probably be exactly the same as today's Apple computers.

Today's Macs ARE NeXT computers. The Mac ended with OS9. OS X is NextStep. When Apple "acquired" NeXT it came with more than just Steve Jobs. The engineering head of software, Avie Tevanian, and the head of hardware, Jon Rubenstein (yes, that Jon Rubenstein), were brought over from NeXT to Apple to manage software and hardware development at Apple.

NeXT really was far better than the entrenched products but it was too late in the game to gain real traction. That was only achieved by being disguised as a Macintosh. Of course there was a lot more going on over that next decade. But NeXT remains at the core of the Mac, iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad. It is not at all clear that there would be an Apple today if Steve Jobs was not forced out and was able to create the company (NeXT) that would "become" the future Apple.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    Apple may not have Steve Jobs around anymore but they will still dominate the innovation sector of technology. I see so many youth with thier iphones and ipads everywhere I go.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    tsatsa Posts: 129member
    Ehm. Those two are far too young for any Apple device.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    HP??? what 8-24 year old wants anything HP makes???

"Mommy! I really want an inkjet printer for Christmas!!!"

...i wonder if this poll was taken before they killed the touchpad...
  • Reply 25 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tsa View Post

If I were MS I would make sure I had damn good versions of Office and other stuff for the Mac in the coming years.

iOS, rather.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldMacGuy View Post

10 years ago, me. Today, me, my wife, my three children and their spouses, and five grandkids, all Apple computers, iPads and iPhones. Well, I don't have an iPhone.

it does spread like wildfire. anyone who marries into my family ends up with a Mac. even those who claimed to hate them beforehand.

it's simple loyalty. a Mac user would never move to windows without kicking and screaming. windows users don't have that loyalty... even fanboys of last decade are coming around to Apple now.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

What do you think is powering every Mac on the market right now, chief? Let me give you a hint: starts with an I, and doesn't end in PC.

Go read what he wrote again. We will wait.

Now read yours again. See how what you said doesn't actually impact what he said?

Reading, it is fundamental.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tsa View Post

If I were MS I would make sure I had damn good versions of Office and other stuff for the Mac in the coming years.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

iOS, rather.

Mark my words: in a year or two from now there is no difference anymore.

• Reply 29 of 30
    robrerobre Posts: 56member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

Just wait until the market share numbers come out 3-5 years from now

A majority of college students today are choosing Macs. Wait until my 6 yr old goes. And it's just going to continue to get worse for Microsoft

When asked what pc to buy during a meeting in July this year, the college gave us these numbers: last year's ratio between PC/Mac was 40/60. Therefore "we are supporting both platforms" the college said.

THIS year's ratio established "non-scientifically" by "my student" was - for multiple classes: about 20 Macs and 1 PC!! Incredible!! I guess these kids have seen their parents go through Vista, downgrading to XP and then see Win7; - all wrapped up in plastic cases. I actually fear for MS...
  • Reply 30 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robre View Post

When asked what pc to buy during a meeting in July this year, the college gave us these numbers: last year's ratio between PC/Mac was 40/60. Therefore "we are supporting both platforms" the college said.

THIS year's ratio established "non-scientifically" by "my student" was - for multiple classes: about 20 Macs and 1 PC!! Incredible!! I guess these kids have seen their parents go through Vista, downgrading to XP and then see Win7; - all wrapped up in plastic cases. I actually fear for MS...

As long as MS makes good versions of Office for multiple platforms they should be OK.