BlackBerry, Android secondhand trade-ins spike at iPhone 4S launch

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A popular site for selling second hand smartphones has reported an 80 percent increase in used BlackBerry phones and a 72 percent increase in Android trade-ins during the launch week of Apple's iPhone 4S.

According to a report by CNET, second hand gadget buyer Gazelle reported a huge influx of RIM BlackBerry trade-ins over the last week, coinciding with both the extended global outage of RIM's messaging service and the launch of iPhone 4S.

Gazelle's Anthony Scarsella said the spike in unwanted RIM devices is "easily the highest volume of BlackBerry trades ever seen, period," while noting that the 80 percent increase occured over already record highs earlier this month.

"In the grand scheme of BlackBerry growth over the past month, it can be pretty much entirely attributed to the launch of the iPhone 4S," he added.

Scarsella also noted a 72 percent increase in Android trade-ins over the same period, the majority of which have been tied to Sprint, which first began carrying Apple's iPhone line at the launch of the iPhone 4S. Sprint also now carries the $99 8GB CDMA iPhone 4.

CNET noted that Sprint has also recently announced newer Android models, including the Motorola Droid Razr and Samsung's Galaxy Nexus, and speculated that its "users may also be planning ahead" for those launches.

However, neither of those new phones are actually available yet, making it unlikely that Sprint's subscribers would trade in their existing Android phone while waiting for Sprint to announce when the new models might become available.

Sprint itself has reported new sales records set by its iPhone 4S launch, described the iPhone as being a top reason it was losing customers to AT&T and Verizon, and has invested a reported $20 billion in guaranteed sales of 30.5 million iPhones through 2014.

In addition to Android and RIM switchers, Gazelle has also noted trade-ins of 65,000 iPhones since it began buying second hand models, and noted that used iPhones have been traded in every 15 seconds to lock in buyback prices since the iPhone 4S was announced.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    Apple will obviously fail. The iPhone 4S is just the same thing a year later.

• Reply 2 of 29
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    The only real shocker is that used Android and Blackberrys have a trade-in value above $0.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Apple should offer a rebate called 'iPhone 4s for Clunkers' directly.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The only real shocker is that used Android and Blackberrys have a trade-in value above $0.

My thoughts as well! I wonder how many didn't even bother trading-in their BB and Androids.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    Ha...let's see the report on the inferior 4S trade-in spikes when the *su*perior Galaxy Nexus launches.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post

Ha...let's see the report on the inferior 4S trade-in spikes when the *su*perior Galaxy Nexus launches.

Doubtful that'll happen
  • Reply 7 of 29
    Quote:

I literally lol'd a this. Thank you sir!
  • Reply 8 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Apple will obviously fail. The iPhone 4S is just the same thing a year later.

A year and 4 months
  • Reply 9 of 29
    Quote:

The plastic bodies can be recycled to make trash cans in developing countries!
  • Reply 10 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

A year and 4 months

I'm patiently awaiting AnandTech's review of the iPhone 4S' antennas. Remember that completely stupid and flawed design that was surely going to result in a worldwide recall and a new version with an enclosed antenna before the end of the 2010.

I suppose it will interesting to see how Consumer Reports rates the device but I couldn't care less whether they recommend it or not. For CE they simply have nothing viable to offer compared to the majority of tech sites.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The plastic bodies can be recycled to make trash cans in developing countries!

They probably need more trash cans to throw all the used plastic phones they've been given.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    These trade-ins mimic the surveys done over time. People have been saying that they would abandon the BB and to a lessor extent, Android phones.

By the way, I've tried to reserve a phone every night for the past week, starting at exactly 9:00, but haven't been able to. The site has issues, and after anywhere between 15-40 minutes, everything is sold out for the next day from all three carriers. White is very popular, as some of those models seem to go first.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

My thoughts as well! I wonder how many didn't even bother trading-in their BB and Androids.

I didn't. Then again, my phone was worth $0 when they discontinued it 8 months after its release.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I didn't. Then again, my phone was worth $0 when they discontinued it 8 months after its release.

Really? Even the original iPhone from 2007 with the highly unwanted 4GB internal storage that was discontinued only a few months laser and arguably the least popular iPhone ever old will get you $10 if broken, $24 in good shape, and $33 in flawless condition.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikepro View Post

I literally lol'd a this. Thank you sir!

Me too!
  • Reply 15 of 29
    Who else remembers those ChangeWave reports from last year stating that about 30% of existing Android users were planning to move to iPhone as their next phone? I remember that being kicked around on some tech sites and Android fans decrying it as questionable statistics gathering as the number of users planning to jump from iPhone to Android was around 5%. But it sure seems like we're watching that very scenario play out in front of us. I know plenty of Android users who are not crazy about their phone and contemplating an iPhone. And yet, every single person I know who owns and iPhone is satisfied and sticking with it.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Really? Even the original iPhone from 2007 with the highly unwanted 4GB internal storage that was discontinued only a few months laser and arguably the least popular iPhone ever old will get you $10 if broken, $24 in good shape, and $33 in flawless condition.

Or around $50+ on ebay.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Or around $50+ on ebay.

But after paying for S&H, eBay fees and PayPal fees is that really worth it? I'd much rather have them send me the pre-paid box and get it over with. Not too concerned about waiting a couple weeks for the payment. Pros and cons.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    tcaseytcasey Posts: 199member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Me too!

ahhh man i threw my in the bin if i had know i could get a dollar or 2 for my old bb...darn.lol
  • Reply 19 of 29
    When do we get to see next year's exciting premiere of Smartphone Hoarders?

A house full of old Nokia, RIM and Android third party phones mixed in with a hundred cheap coffee pots, VCRs, DVD players, feces and lots of children's clothing from Thrift Stores!
  • Reply 20 of 29
    LOL funniest thing i read all day.