Apple issues EFI Firmware, iPhoto, QuickTime updates

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple on Wednesday issued EFI Firmware updates for its Thunderbolt-equipped iMac, Mac Mini, Macbook Pro and Macbook Air computers, as well as minor updates to QuickTime for Windows and iPhoto.

iMac EFI Update 1.7

The iMac update enables Lion Recovery from an Internet connection for the early 2011 Thunderbolt iMac. It also fixes compatibility issues with the Apple Thunderbolt Display and addresses Thunderbolt Target Disk Mode performance for the machine.

The 3.69MB download requires Mac OS X 10.6.8 or Mac OS X 10.7 or later.

Mac Mini EFI Firmware Update 1.3

The update for mid 2011 Mac Mini models improves the stability of Lion Recovery from an Internet connection and also addresses problems with Apple Thunderbolt Display compatibility and Thunderbolt Target Disk Mode.

The download weighs 4.26MB and requires Mac OS X Lion 10.7 or later.

MacBook Air EFI Firmware Update

The 4MB update for mid 2011 Macbook Air models includes fixes from Update 2.1 while improving the stability of the notebook. As with the other updates, it includes fixes for Lion Recovery from an Internet connection, Thunderbolt Display compatibility and Thunderbolt Target Disk Mode.

Macbook Pro EFI Firmware Update 2.3

Early 2011 MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 2.3 adds stability to the same features as the other Mac EFI updates. A 4.17MB download, it requires Mac OS X 10.6.8 or OS X Lion.

iPhoto 9.2.1

iPhoto 9.2.1 addresses an issue with the 3ivxVIdeoCodec plug-in that could cause it to quit unexpectedly on a Mac. The download weighs 357.18MB and requires Mac OS X 10.6.8 or Mac OS X 10.7.2 or later.

Version 9.2 of iPhoto adds iPhoto and iOS 5 compatibility, new swipe gestures, minor UI changes and addresses a book printing issue.

QuickTime 7.7.1 for Windows

Version 7.7.1 of QuickTime for Windows requires XP (SP2 or later), Vista or version 7. The 37.58MB download addresses a number of security issues with the software, mostly related to patching any holes that "maliciously crafted movie files" could take advantage of.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Apple seems to be fearlessly adding more and more customers to their online services, but I wonder if they are stopping to observe the consequences. The iTunes Store has had more error messages and general slowness for me in the last few weeks than in a long time.

One strange thing I noticed is that, even though I have been buying things most days, there was no new transaction history batch for 2 weeks. Then there was that weird email about redownloading "Steve Jobs" the other day, which required you to log in and out of the Store.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    I installed the new EFI on my early 2011 MBP. So far, so good.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    I think I'll give this a miss.

I can't risk the SSD/SATA III problems again.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Anyone else having problems updating?

Update downloads okay and i reboot, but then the screen goes gray and the black bar appears at the bottom (fine so far) but then it hard resets itself and does the same thing again 3-4 times before booting into the OS without updating

Any ideas?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Ignore me - had a muppeteering moment there as I didn't plug in my PSU!!! Fail!
  • Reply 6 of 10
    I had a Canon Printer Software Update turn up as well.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    tsatsa Posts: 129member
    No problems for me. I also had the Canon printer software update. But you only get that if you have one or more Canon printer drivers installed.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Since installing this firmware update, iTunes and Quicktime refuse to play protected video content, suggesting that the built-in display on my 2011 MacBook Air does not support HDCP.

"This movie can be played only on displays that support HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection)."
  • Reply 9 of 10
    after installing the update my mbp doesn't booted, I held down the power button and restarted with the option key pressed, then selected my startup disk, I had to go to preferences and select the default start up disk and reboot.

I lost trim support in my third party ssd.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aguscalderon View Post

I lost trim support in my third party ssd.

I have TRIM again, thanks to Oskar Groth http://www.groths.org/?p=511