Steve Jobs stayed tag-less by leasing a new car every six months

Comments

• Reply 21 of 131
    I liked Steve, but i agree with a few earlier posts. Total a$$hole move to park in a handicapped place if you aren't. Especially someone who does it because he feels better than everyone else. I've read that Steve can be an a$$, I figured that was because he couldn't deal with people who weren't as in touch with the future. I was wrong, he just thought he was better. Lost some respect for the guy, just cause you are sitting on millions of dollars doesn't mean you are better. Wish someone ran into his car while it was parked there, and left.

Anyway, whats the big deal, get a tag and stop thinking you are all that, not that it matters anymore
  • Reply 22 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

Agreed. With virtually unlimited money, I could live a lot more care free and take many more risks. But I have a family, mortgage, 401k, etc. As a wage-slave, an extra $1000 here or there is real money.

If only I'd bought more AAPL shares when they were $20.

- Jasen.

I was just thinking about this the other day. If I had bought AAPL stock instead of my first iPod, I would be $28,000 richer today.
  • Reply 23 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

This is how the 1% lives.

Legal loopholes.

New Mercedes every 6 months.

Parks in handicapped spaces sideways.

What sort of a person does this shit?

What sort of person?

1) Mostly everyone, not just the 1% If you ask me, those on welfare and unemployment exploit loopholes and the system more than anyone.

2) Those who can afford it.....and even those who can't

3) That happens all the time* (maybe not the sideways part)

*I witnessed a guy park in a handicap spot last week and he RAN briskly around a car driving through the parking lot on his way into the store. He was in the store for at least a half hour.
  • Reply 24 of 131
    If he did this to stay anonymous or something, doesn?t NOT having a license plate on an exact model/color car pretty much easily identify you? If three of those cars were parked in a car park, one did not have a plate. It is easily to pick out whose car that is. Especially since it was common knowledge what kind of car he drove.
  • Reply 25 of 131
    tsatsa Posts: 129member
    People who park in handicapped spaces without permission are indeed super duper arrogant bastards. However, Steve may have had permission since he was pretty ill at the end of his life.
  • Reply 26 of 131
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,002member
    Wouldn't Steve have his own, singularly prime best parking spot on campus? Or many around the campus?
  • Reply 27 of 131
    Quote:

Legal loopholes.

People that may be great businessmen or businesswomen, but ultimately do not care about the average person at all.
  • Reply 28 of 131
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    This seems strange and hypocritical of a man that advocated "green". The AMG SL55 and SL63 are both gas hogs... I could see Jobs driving a Prius, instead.
  • Reply 29 of 131
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    I work about 5 blocks from where he lived in Palo Alto. The PA police are obsessive about giving tickets to tag-less cars (we all call them the parking "nazis"). I tried to keep from installing tags on the front of my XKR Jag, because it ruins the look of the car, but gave up after 3 tickets, which require you to visit the PA police in person to show them the firmly attached tags and pay the fine). Maybe he found a way around "defacing" the beauty of his MB, since design and beauty were his forte?

Kind of like my obsession about not having a bumper on my iphone4 and 4S I guess?
  • Reply 30 of 131
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 31 of 131
    shawnbshawnb Posts: 155member
    Maybe they gave him a handicapped permit since he had the cancer.

Or maybe not, and karma really is a bitch.
  • Reply 32 of 131
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    I have a friend who owns a used car dealership. He, and his brothers, always drive without a license plate since they have a a special dealer license plate that they don't need to show on the car. They just need to have it inside the car in case they get stopped by the police.
  • Reply 33 of 131
    tsatsa Posts: 129member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Only peripherally related, but amusing:

http://everything2.com/title/Park+Different

That is brilliant.
  • Reply 34 of 131
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Quote:

Legal loopholes.

To be fair, it's not like he just parked in any handicapped space, he parked in the one at Apple HQ. Companies have to put handicapped spaces close to the building even if they have no handicapped employees. So maybe he knew nobody was using it.
  • Reply 35 of 131
    Quote:

Legal loopholes.

Apparently a dead jerk, I love his products but did not like the man.
  • Reply 36 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

To be fair, it's not like he just parked in any handicapped space, he parked in the one at Apple HQ. Companies have to put handicapped spaces close to the building even if they have no handicapped employees. So maybe he knew nobody was using it.

Funny how everyone on this thread are making excuses for him. Sure maybe he knew no one worked there was handicapped (Not sure how he would know no visitors would not be handicapped) or maybe he was just a pompous jerk.
  • Reply 37 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloodline View Post

+1

His arrogance may well have driven Apple to make great products... But it was ultimately the cause of his untimely death.

NOT

I knew two people who tried alternative therapies for their cancers rather than surgery or chemo. They both died. Neither one was arrogant.

Self- deluded is the correct term I believe.
  • Reply 38 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShaolinDave View Post

i hate to speak badly of the recently deceased, but parking sideways in a handicap spot? what a total shitbag.

But at the same time. He didn't have a reserved CEO parking spot.

Park Different.
  • Reply 39 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

It is unlikely he would have survived had he had surgery in 2003. The misfortune of having pancreatic cancer killed him, not his "arrogance."

Having just finished reading the official biography (spoiler alert), the doctors were delighted to have found the cancer so early, much earlier than normal, a usually you wait until you have symptoms before being checked out... But Steve's cancer was picked up on a CT scan for kidney stones, and the biopsy showed that it was in the very early stages and almost certainly hadn't spread... Steve refused to have it removed for 9 months... Preferring new age healing crap, giving the cancer time to spread and become untreatable... His arrogance lead to his early death, had he had the cancer removed earlier then he would have at the very least lived longer than he did.
  • Reply 40 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MessagePad2100 View Post

But at the same time. He didn't have a reserved CEO parking spot.

Park Different.

Are you sure? We assume he did not but he may have been so arrogant that he parked in the handicapped spot while his reserved spot remained open.