New Steve Jobs documentary to include never before seen interview

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A new documentary focusing on the life of Steve Jobs and featuring a never before seen interview with the Apple co-founder will air next week on PBS.

The one-hour special, named 'Steve Jobs - One Last Thing' in honor of Jobs' famous catchphrase, is scheduled to air on Wednesday, Nov. 2, at 10 p.m. E.T. (check local listings) and will be the first broadcast of a 1994 interview where Jobs details his philosophy of life.

Anecdotes from interviews with Jobs' business partners, associates and tech journalists, round out what PBS calls a unique insight into "what made (Jobs) tick." Notable guests include Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak, Wall Street Journal tech columnist Walt Mossberg and Apple co-founder Ronald Wayne, who was featured in an AppleInsider exclusive the day Jobs' death was announced.

The program's main feature will be an unaired interview with Jobs, offering viewers an intimate look into the philosophies that made him one of the most successful tech figures in history.

"You tend to get told that the world is the way it is, but life can be much broader once you discover one simple fact; and that is that everything around you that you call life was made up by people no smarter than you," Jobs said in the exclusive interview. "Once you learn that, you'll never be the same again."

PBS says its documentary is an "exploration of the life of one of American's most successful innovators and entrepreneurs" and "pays homage to his famous presentational skills and his unique talents.

Jobs famously teased expectant audiences at various Apple product introductions, developing the catchphrase "one more thing" to announce key product at the end of his many keynotes.

'One Last Thing' will follow the premiere of PBS' four-part primetime NOVA series, 'The Fabric of the Cosmos.'

"From the vast complexity of time and space to the genius of a man who put technology in the palm of our hands, these extraordinary programs explore the work of two visionaries in science and technology," said John F. Wilson, PBS' senior vice president and chief TV programming executive.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Did I just feel a chill up my leg?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Hey that's my BDay!!! What a great birthday present for me!!! Thanks PBS!!!
  • Reply 3 of 15
    obamaobama Posts: 62member
    Okay! Everybody is making money off of Steve-o!
  • Reply 4 of 15
    n42n42 Posts: 34member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Obama View Post

It's.. um.. PBS
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Was it "One Last Thing" or "One More Thing"?
  • Reply 6 of 15
    A short video about Steve and his mesmerizing effect on Apple fans:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvL5bEQUAro
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new documentary focusing on the life of Steve Jobs and featuring a never before seen interview with the Apple co-founder will air next week on PBS.

The one-hour special, named 'Steve Jobs - One Last Thing' in honor of Jobs' famous catchphrase, is scheduled to air on Wednesday, Nov. 2, at 10 p.m. E.T. (check local listings) and will be the first broadcast of a 1994 interview where Jobs details his philosophy of life.

Anecdotes from interviews with Jobs' business partners, associates and tech journalists, round out what PBS calls a unique insight into "what made (Jobs) tick." Notable guests include Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak, Wall Street Journal tech columnist Walt Mossberg and Apple co-founder Ronald Wayne, who was featured in an AppleInsider exclusive the day Jobs' death was announced.

The program's main feature will be an unaired interview with Jobs, offering viewers an intimate look into the philosophies that made him one of the most successful tech figures in history.

"You tend to get told that the world is the way it is, but life can be much broader once you discover on simple fact; and that is that everything around you that you call life was made up by people no smarter than you," Jobs said in the exclusive interview. "Once you learn that, you'll never be the same again."

PBS says its documentary is an "exploration of the life of one of American's most successful innovators and entrepreneurs" and "pays homage to his famous presentational skills and his unique talents.

Jobs famously teased expectant audiences at various Apple product introductions, developing the catchphrase "one more thing" to announce key product at the end of his many keynotes.

'One Last Thing' will follow the premiere of PBS' four-part primetime NOVA series, 'The Fabric of the Cosmos.'

"From the vast complexity of time and space to the genius of a man who put technology in the palm of our hands, these extraordinary programs explore the work of two visionaries in science and technology," said John F. Wilson, PBS' senior vice president and chief TV programming executive.

am reading the isaacson bio: Steve Jobs.

am stunned at how much of an a$$hole he was.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

am reading the isaacson bio: Steve Jobs.

am stunned at how much of an a$$hole he was.

Yeah, he was pretty, uh? Disneyfied, even in Pirates of Silicon Valley.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Steve's phrase is "one more thing." Their documentary title is wrong.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Obama View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by n42 View Post

It's.. um.. PBS

Um... yes, it is PBS.

Have they ever broadcast a program halfway worth watching if they weren't hitting you up?

I haven't, lately.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

I'm sure they knew that, I'm almost positive it is just a play on words. Seeing as how Steve won't be doing any more "one more things", the title is kind of appropriate.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

I'm sure they knew that, I'm almost positive it is just a play on words. Seeing as how Steve won't be doing any more "one more things", the title is kind of appropriate.

For some reason I didn't like the title too much. It makes it sound like their documentary is staking a claim of being the "last thing" to be published about him. That's not true of course because much more will be told. Like many others I am still hurting from the loss of Steve Jobs and am probably overly sensitive about the subject.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

You may not have heard this, but SJ has died, so "one last thing" is a bit more appropriate, as there will be no more "one more thing"s.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, he was pretty, uh? Disneyfied, even in Pirates of Silicon Valley.

after reading more i am torn. i see that he was a gigantic ahole, but, apple customers won out because of it. better products.

but god i do feel for those that worked close to him. wow.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"You tend to get told that the world is the way it is, but life can be much broader once you discover one simple fact; and that is that everything around you that you call life was made up by people no smarter than you. Once you learn that, you'll never be the same again."

Despite his disagreeable behaviour towards others, his perception and philosophy was spot on. The latter won't always justify the former but I could believe a great many scenarios where enforcing your own opinions onto others puts you in a very negative light and the alternative is to simply go with something you believe is wrong. If you have a character and drive strong enough to never let that happen, there will be people who come off badly as a result.