Unlike Apple's iOS, Android phones not getting updates

Comments

• Reply 41 of 215
    "Being stuck with outdated software is a problem for users not just because they're missing features and refinements but also because of security updates."

Security updates to me is just as important as newer features.
  • Reply 42 of 215
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RepairZoom View Post

In his defense Apple does recommend turning them off, I have had a number of Apple ppl tell me and it is listed under there "save battery life article"

How does clearing the history of recently used apps save battery life? Again assuming that none of the 20 apps used one of three permanent background services: sound, VoIP, navigation. Does clearing the RAM save that much battery? Or are apps able to misuse the task-completion for never-ending tasks?
  • Reply 43 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBRSTREETG View Post

What sealed the deal for me was Siri, A5, the camera and canceling the contract on my Evo 4G. It would have been a great phone if it didn't crash all the time and the updates, resets and restores were easy to do i.e. Apple like in management.

Oh yeah I'm not disputing the fact that its a good phone and iTunes is by far the biggest selling point, but at the end of the day it still has roughly the same specs as a lot of other phones and hardware wise there isn't much to set it apart so to claim other companies that charge hundreds of dollars to upgrade is a little ridiculous.
  • Reply 44 of 215
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 45 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Then why bother releasing new updates with new numbers and new names if you already have everything they have to offer?

So you're saying Gingerbread and Ice Cream Sandwich have absolutely no new features whatsoever? Why bother releasing them at all? Why bother having new software? Just keep making Froyo phones.

Perhaps once you have an actual argument. I still don't get why they'd release new updates with absolutely no new updates in the updates.

Gingerbread introduced a new keyboard, NFC support, native multi camera support, updated video drivers, a new garbage collector, improved power management, new UI refinements, internet calling via SIP account, downloads management.

This doesn't mean that apps can't run on the previous release (Froyo). Your argument doesn't make any sense.

Android is not fragmented. The only issue you would have would be on a device over 2 years old. And that would only be for a limited number of applications.
  • Reply 46 of 215
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    Quote:

Is that like the "new" iPhone 4s wow faster processor and a little better camera SO worth the $$ to get it!

The point, though, is that Apple updated the 3GS and the 4 to the latest OS, so people don't need to buy new phones if they don't want the new hardware but just want some of the new features like notification. ICS brings a lot of nice new OS enhancements, as did Gingerbread. However, if you are on a phone stuck with Froyo you get none of them. Nexus One owners, who up to now had received timely updates, are frozen out of Ice Cream Sandwich altogether. Sure, they wouldn't have received NFC support, since there is no NFC chip, or front camera support, but the UI enhancements would be nice.
  • Reply 47 of 215
    Quote:

In his defense Apple does recommend turning them off, I have had a number of Apple ppl tell me and it is listed under there "save battery life article"

Yeah, it isn't that they have no impact on the phone. Rather, my observation is due to the fact that any impact they have on the phone tends to be extremely minimal. Most services are terminated or placed on hold by design. Location services can cause some degree of fuss but I haven't ever seen a program which handles location services poorly (including GPS apps like TomTom).

I use a whole range of apps to accomplish all manner of tasks and the only times I have ever gone into the app list to terminate an app is when I'm lazy (e.g. getting TomTom to shut up after reaching a destination or reaching a familiar point in a route, rather than using the interface to clear the route or waiting for TomTom to realize I'm done) or when I want to close an app to clear its memory because it's crashing (e.g. that new Starbase Orions game is cool but crash prone). The only time I ever have something which even remotely resembles battery problems is when I've spent hours on the phone (e.g. when sick playing a game) and that is to be expected.

What more could be said for even the somewhat atypical parent and their phone?

One can achieve some extremely small degree of extra battery life by offing apps from that list, or by selectively offing an app which provides some kind of background service (note that this usually happens by user request), but it's hardly worth the effort in most cases, and although Apple presents it in that specific case, it isn't the recommended way to use the phone, nor is it how iOS multi-tasking was designed.
  • Reply 48 of 215
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ooh, we have a new contender in the competition for Most Wrong Comment In The Thread.

That's funny - and true
  • Reply 49 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SixnaHalfFeet View Post

Speaks volumes as to who are the greedy ones and who cares about their customers!

"Apple’s way of getting you to buy a new phone is to make you really happy with your current one, whereas apparently Android phone makers think they can get you to buy a new phone by making you really unhappy with your current one," Degusta said. "

Actually having worked for Apple their idea behind making a great phone is no so you will buy a new phone but rather you will buy a mac.... Yes people iPhones are Apple's gateway drug.

The iPhone is usually the first product that a consumer gets their hands on from Apple and Apple believes that if you build a good phone the consumer will be more likely to buy a Mac because they feel the quality and support will be the same, and they are pretty accurate..... Thought I would clarify a little.
  • Reply 50 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

How does clearing the history of recently used apps save battery life? Again assuming that none of the 20 apps used one of three permanent background services: sound, VoIP, navigation. Does clearing the RAM save that much battery? Or are apps able to misuse the task-completion for never-ending tasks?

Yeah I dont get it either, but I also have Apple Geniuses tell me that you cant take an iPod touch apart without the "guts falling out" and that the iPhone 4 cant be taking apart to replace the front screen....
  • Reply 51 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Buy a cheap or free Android phone, get a functional smart phone with a decent browser, decent email and texting, excellent maps and navigation, OK media playback and some currently popular games. If you never stray much beyond that functionality, and the phone works OK when you get it, you're probably content to use what you have, even if an update should become available.

This is a strong motivation for developers to focus their efforts on iOS instead of Android. More people downloading creates more opportunity to make money
  • Reply 52 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

There's a new Android phone being released every 5 minutes. A new Android phone being released is as exciting and rare as taking a dump.

Let's take the analogy further! If you buy an android phone, or if you are taking a dump every 5 minutes, you should get yourself checked out!
  • Reply 53 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stynkfysh View Post

And also to be fair, all iPhones don't receive all updates in each iOS update. Siri is case-in-point. Only the 4S has that one, officially.

There should be a distinction between getting all the updates and getting all the features. While an old iPhone may not get all the features, they are able to get the updates, which maintains the wide pool of opportunity for developers. Your OS has to get pretty old to make it so developers have to make their apps backward compatible.

To be fair, the 3G to iOS 4 was dreadful. I'm glad to see that the 3GS is not suffering to the same extent with iOS5. Seems like they made a good effort to solve that problem this time around.
  • Reply 54 of 215
    Quote:

Is that like the "new" iPhone 4s wow faster processor and a little better camera SO worth the $$ to get it!

Quote:

I find that amusing as with ATT if you want to upgrade in contract say from a 4 to a 4S it will cost you $299 the first time and like $499 the second time

Lucky you! Sprint wanted $650 from me to go from Evo to 4S. I just got on with Verizon for $199.
  • Reply 55 of 215
    Quote:

This is only applicable for apps that use, for example, GPS. Mapquest, Waze, Reminders (with geofencing) all continue to run GPS in the background and will affect the battery.

For the majority of apps, you do NOT need to close them, and there is a HUGE benefit to having them freeze rather than "true multi-task."

PS I like how you came to his defense before anybody actually jumped on him Nice work
  • Reply 56 of 215
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I wonder if the average Android user even notices or cares if he or she can get the latest OS, though?

Buy a cheap or free Android phone, get a functional smart phone with a decent browser, decent email and texting, excellent maps and navigation, OK media playback and some currently popular games. If you never stray much beyond that functionality, and the phone works OK when you get it, you're probably content to use what you have, even if an update should become available.

You make an interesting point.

I use an iPhone and have apps like: flashcards, tv listings, language dictionaries, and a sleep tracker; which stray from the typical functionality of a smartphone.

I wonder what portion of Android users use such atypical apps. Any out there care to weigh in?
  • Reply 57 of 215
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wcbaritone10 View Post

Don't get me wrong, I love my iPhone and dont plan on ever buying a different phone as long as the iPhone is out there, but not everyone fully uses or understands the iPhone software updates either. My parents both got iP4s after they had their 3Gs and to this day still do not even know the multi-tasking exists. Every time I pick up on of their phones the first thing I do is turn off at least 20 apps. I don't think I am going to even bother trying to explain iOS5 to them. I'll just let them be happy with what they're used to.

The architecture is such that it generally doesn't require closing apps. Unless they're complaining of problems, it's unnecessary.

Quote:

Here is the article I found and I didn't see anything about "closing" apps:

http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

73% of iPhone 4S buyers are upgraders

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...4gb_model.html

I'm not sure what this means as a reply.

Quote:

and that the iPhone 4 cant be taking apart to replace the front screen....

I think "can't" here is short hand for "It's pretty complicated, tedious and most people aren't able to do it". It's a lot easier than to give a list of caveats. The chance of failure from someone that's not reasonably qualified is pretty high.
  • Reply 58 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by am8449 View Post

You make an interesting point.

I use an iPhone and have apps like: flashcards, tv listings, language dictionaries, and a sleep tracker; which stray from the typical functionality of a smartphone.

I wonder what portion of Android users use such atypical apps. Any out there care to weigh in?

I wish I was joking but my Android crashed so much it just became tiring to use it for anything other than phone calls, email and checking when the next bus or train was coming and that app crashed all the time. The experience was dismal.
  • Reply 59 of 215
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBRSTREETG View Post

Apple ][ is twelve so don't expect anything intelligent.

Quick, somebody call the cops! That would mean my gf is a child rapist!
  • Reply 60 of 215
    old-wizold-wiz Posts: 194member
    I bet they would break a lot of phones - they don't have the resources to test and there are too many different phones especially when carriers go off and make changes of their own.