Nintendo profits evaporate as gamers turn to iOS

Comments

• Reply 21 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

You'll have better luck waiting for Apple to license OS X to Dell. Nintendo wants to control its own destiny, just like Apple does.

This is true. The difference is greed. Nintendo's franchise greed for their expensive game titles and systems for decades has finally came back to bite them in the butt. Where as Apple's systems are expensive but the greed was never carried over to software. The true is Apple has given gamers and others an avenue to cheaper software.

At this point iOS games might not be as technically robust due to platform limitations but with the A5 chips and beyond, Nintendo's game quality will loose its advantage. Apple's plans for device convergence, better iOS game quality, and low software price together and Nintendo is history.
  • Reply 22 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

Gamers are not truning to iOS. Most gamers don't consider iOS a gaming platform. Yeah they have some great GPUs for a mobile device but that is only half the story in games. Most of it is controls. And with all due respect. iOS has nothing on a button controller. You can't beat buttons with Touch. You can see the difference in the depth of the games. Most iOS games are really just arcade Style games and simple racers. While a portable Has more interactive games like God of War which would be a Pain to play on an iOS device.

And before people get in their heads the Apple TV will also never be a preferred gaming Console. It would cost to much in comparison to current pricing. To place a good gaming GPU, fast multicore custom processor, Harddrive, accessory ports, Optical Drive (some console games are too large to be downloaded. FFXIII took up a full dual layer Blueray~38gbs). and various radios in it for the proprietary controller. Your looking at a REALLY expensive machine. Around 1k for such a device. Apple doesn't like to sell for a lost as most Video game consoles are sold. Which would make many consumers Question why buy a 1000$ console when the *newest generation at the time will be half the price. Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo traditionally sell their hardware at a lost and make up the difference in proprietary accessories and games. This type of market is not Apple's traditional market.

There are exponentially more casual gamers with money to burn than the market you describe.

Most Apple users have multiple Apple devices that can easily talk to each with standard technologies. So I don't see the need for the expensive proprietary and storage you mention. An A5 chip or it next generation in an AppleTV, Apple HDTV, or iPad 3 on a stand wirelessly, either from Apple or third parties, can make the system you mentioned moot and uncompetitive.
  • Reply 23 of 69
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Not all games work so great with a touch screen. Most do though. I think some of these other platforms, rather than going away, could become niches for the games that don't work too well with touchscreen.
  • Reply 24 of 69
    neosumneosum Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It's too bad they didn't update the Touch with the faster A5. Not so much for the CPU, but for the GPU performance.

My hypothesis is that with the iPhone 4S being released in the Autumn and the iPad still selling well as we move into the holiday quarter is Apple just couldn't get enough chips to update the device.

If it was for myself, I would've wanted a refresh. But for my son, he doesn't care. He's still happy with last years model and is only requesting for more storage.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

When does he graduate to the iPhone?

When he can pay his own bill. He'll continue to use his dumb phone until that happens. He'll be the one to choose and I don't know what he'll want when that time comes. I would never force an apple product on him, even though I like them myself.
  • Reply 25 of 69
    gctwnlgctwnl Posts: 278member
    An AppleTV 3 with native games and with iPod/iPad as console is of course also a possible option besides airplay.

But if Apple goes into producing a TV, it might crack the ultimate simple user interface, but for me, the quality of the display is what matters above all else. And there Sony shines with the best consumer TVs (i.e. the 920, 820 series). Most LCD TVs are hopeless with respect to viewing angle (Apple has good monitors here) and with motion artifacts (mainly HVS-based).

But maybe Apple will surprise us with also an innovation in picture quality, battling HVS-artifacts properly and so forth. I'm not holding my breath, though, because it has been very difficult for all the TV makers who stress picture quality (and not interface)
  • Reply 26 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Finally, a rumored Siri-powered television from Apple could pose an even greater threat to Nintendo. The New York Times reported on Thursday that it's only a matter of time before Apple releases a connected TV. Such a device would likely represent an assault on the living room by the iPhone maker, and would presumably open up gaming possibilities, either natively or in conjunction with iOS devices.

It has been suggested for years that Apple will build its own HDTV, but reports picked up steam recently after a biography on Steve Jobs revealed that he felt he had "finally cracked" the secret to an intuitive user interface for the TV.

Completely off topic
  • Reply 27 of 69
    shompashompa Posts: 343member
    Apple really needs a good controller to its Idevices.

And I don't think Apple knows how to do one. The only thing Apple never managed to do right was a mouse, so how could they do a controller?

Imagine that you could hook up an Xbox360 like controller to your Idevice.

Just hook the Idevice with HDMI to you TV for 1080P gaming. TODAY. Not next gen, This gen.

Vita will be quod core A9 with quod core PowerVR. 40nm.

About the same time it is released the A6 iPad will be released. The iPad will have a more elegant 28nm A15 core with graphics. Hopefully powerVR6 graphics. This means that iPad (and later iPhone) Will have about twice the CPU speed and the graphic power is unknown. But it won't be slower the Vita.

Its time for Nintendo to close down its hardware division and make great games for iOS.
  • Reply 28 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Nintendo could design and release their own controller for iOS! They could sell it for a decent price, and iOS users would snap them up, and they'd also be buying plenty of Nintendo games.

It would be a win-win situation both for Nintendo and for all iOS users.

I love this solution. Instead of releasing a console, release a Nintendo controller for iPhone that works with all Nintendo games for iOS. They stay in the hardware business and start cashing in on Apple's vast customer base.

I'd pay $20 to $30 for Nintendo games on iOS. Let's do it Big N!
  • Reply 29 of 69
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    My Sons have had multiple Nintendo handhelds but after playing with my first iPhone (after the app store launched) they wanted an iPod touch. They now both have iPhones, my cast offs

The best thing about us all having iPhones is that you buy an app once and sync it with all devices so a multiplayer game becomes multiple times less expensive to own on iOS than on any other handheld platform.
  • Reply 30 of 69
    Quote:

Nintendo could design and release their own controller for iOS! They could sell it for a decent price, and iOS users would snap them up, and they'd also be buying plenty of Nintendo games.

It would be a win-win situation both for Nintendo and for all iOS users.

After seeing the add-on unit for the 3DS I highly doubt that Nintendo are capable of creating anything decent anymore in the way of controllers.
  • Reply 31 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

Gamers are not truning to iOS. Most gamers don't consider iOS a gaming platform. Yeah they have some great GPUs for a mobile device but that is only half the story in games. Most of it is controls. And with all due respect. iOS has nothing on a button controller. You can't beat buttons with Touch. You can see the difference in the depth of the games. Most iOS games are really just arcade Style games and simple racers. While a portable Has more interactive games like God of War which would be a Pain to play on an iOS device.

And before people get in their heads the Apple TV will also never be a preferred gaming Console. It would cost to much in comparison to current pricing. To place a good gaming GPU, fast multicore custom processor, Harddrive, accessory ports, Optical Drive (some console games are too large to be downloaded. FFXIII took up a full dual layer Blueray~38gbs). and various radios in it for the proprietary controller. Your looking at a REALLY expensive machine. Around 1k for such a device. Apple doesn't like to sell for a lost as most Video game consoles are sold. Which would make many consumers Question why buy a 1000$ console when the *newest generation at the time will be half the price. Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo traditionally sell their hardware at a lost and make up the difference in proprietary accessories and games. This type of market is not Apple's traditional market.

Go check your facts. Sony and Microsoft yes to the bolded. Nintendo doesn't sell their hardware at a loss but at a profit. I should know HNFan stands for HardcoreNintyFan. Also Nintendo will never sellout to the Rotten Apple, that would be the day that the world ends. Apple is annoying fad with too many fanboys who are full of themselves. Learn to shut it.

The article here is so utterly biased and hell NO! Rotten Apple and it's crazed bird thrown zombie fans can't compete with Nintendo. The 3DS has yet to have a holiday season and could turn they're profit around, it is selling quicker than the DS did at this point in its life.

LONG LIVE NINTENDO! DOWN WITH THE ROTTEN APPLE!
  • Reply 32 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

After seeing the add-on unit for the 3DS I highly doubt that Nintendo are capable of creating anything decent anymore in the way of controllers.

Obviously you can't get it through your head that it was Capcom who forced this. Nintendo wouldn't have made that if Capcom hadn't forced it.

At least Nintendo get's two exclusive Monster Hunter games out of this.
  • Reply 33 of 69
    Quote:

My Sons have had multiple Nintendo handhelds but after playing with my first iPhone (after the app store launched) they wanted an iPod touch. They now both have iPhones, my cast offs

The best thing about us all having iPhones is that you buy an app once and sync it with all devices so a multiplayer game becomes multiple times less expensive to own on iOS than on any other handheld platform.

Thus making the Rotten Apple store a place to hopefully see a crash like the game industry did in the 80s. Maybe then the Rotten Apple will go away forever.
  • Reply 34 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HNFan View Post

Thus making the Rotten Apple store a place to hopefully see a crash like the game industry did in the 80s. Maybe then the Rotten Apple will go away forever.

Bitter much?

oh, and FYI Nintendo LOSE money on every 3DS sold.
  • Reply 35 of 69
    Quote:

Bitter much?

oh, and FYI Nintendo LOSE money on every 3DS sold.

Me bitter, or me pointing out the truth. Nintendo pointed out that about 90% of games download on the app store are gotten for free. Well now they have ads. I hope you like your ads, meanwhile I'll be playing my much nicer 3DS games that ooh are ad free.

That's the first and hopefully last. Wii, sold at a profit, DS profit, Wii U probably at a profit. They rarely ever sale at a lose. So go back and check the facts before 3DS.
  • Reply 36 of 69
    Quote:

Me bitter, or me pointing out the truth. Nintendo pointed out that about 90% of games download on the app store are gotten for free. Well now they have ads. I hope you like your ads, meanwhile I'll be playing my much nicer 3DS games that ooh are ad free.

That's the first and hopefully last. Wii, sold at a profit, DS profit, Wii U probably at a profit. They rarely ever sale at a lose. So go back and check the facts before 3DS.

Quote:

Go check your facts. Sony and Microsoft yes to the bolded. Nintendo doesn't sell their hardware at a loss but at a profit. I should know HNFan stands for HardcoreNintyFan.

IM SORRY, blinded by fanboy hate you seem to be contradicting yourself. You are obviously a seriously insecure person to create a tag to troll an apple forum.
  • Reply 37 of 69
    toruktoruk Posts: 38member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

If you need to maintain exclusive game titles to drive sales of your game consoles, then maybe your unique selling proposition is game software and not game consoles? So why hang on to the console business where your product is, to be honest, mediocre and uninspiring and would not sell at all if not for the exclusive game titles? Why not focus on your strength and sell those very popular games across all platforms? Just wond'rin'.

I agree. In that respect, Apple and Nintendo are very alike. Both company’s maintain a closed ecosystem by developing the opposing system; Apple develops software to promote its hardware whereas Nintendo develops hardware to promote its software. Therefore, I would love to see an Apple-Nintendo acquisition; Apple has the hardware and platform and Nintendo has the content and francises.

Interestingly, I read yesterday that the largest issue for an Apple-Nintendo acquisition is geography. Nintendo, as a Japanese company, is integrated with the Japanese economy in a way that makes it difficult for a non-Japanese company to acquire it. Apparently, a partnership and potentially a buyout is the most likely scenario, from what I’ve read.
  • Reply 38 of 69
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

Let's go Nintendo, get your heads out of your asses! I am never going to buy a Nintendo handheld device, but I would definitely buy up some Nintendo iOS games.

You're losing money and don't let foolish pride stand in the way of keeping your head above water. Bring Nintendo games to iOS and do it sooner rather than later. Millions of people are waiting.

Wow I didn't think Nintendo was doing this bad.

Indeed, their only option is their IP and innovating on new IP.

Their whole catalog, opened up to iOS would keep them viable without ceding ground to PS3 and Xbox360.

Man, North is South and East is West this year. How times change, indeed. Nintendo, Nokia, Moto, HP, Palm...
  • Reply 39 of 69
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPedro View Post

I love this solution. Instead of releasing a console, release a Nintendo controller for iPhone that works with all Nintendo games for iOS. They stay in the hardware business and start cashing in on Apple's vast customer base.

I'd pay $20 to $30 for Nintendo games on iOS. Let's do it Big N!

Mario Kaaaarrrt on iPad FFS... I'm sick of seeing all the Internet memes and not being able to play it! ARGH
  • Reply 40 of 69
    Its not gamers turning to iOS, its people realising Nintendo hasn't been making anything worthwhile in nearly a decade.

If Nintendo wants to bounce back to the glory days of the Super Nintendo, they need up to date technology to compete in the market (which is not a gimmick *cough*3DS*cough*) and some damn AAA titles. Hey, the reason the Super Nintendo was so good was for just that - Superior hardware to the rest of the market and almost everything for the SNES was a AAA title.